HDTV EPG PVR?

loudclapper

Original poster
Feb 6, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hi all! New cordcutter here and I have been researching new HDTVs. Right now my setup is a 8 year old 47" LCD, Roku (Netflix, Amazon Prime) ,and a Homeworx hw180stb - with external HDD. I get pretty good reception and have not missed the extra cable channels - and definitely not the cable bill! I have a simple amazon basic flat amplified antenae and the Homeworx really helped pull in some channels. The PVR and EPG on the Homeworx is pretty basic, but for $35 it's fine. My old TV is has bad burn in though and I'm thinking of a replacement. With all the money saved on the cable bill it should pay for itself!
In my search for a TV with a decent EPG I have come across all sorts of reviews for TVs from the UK - they all have PVRs BUILT IN! I then was reading that some models in the US have the PVR function but that it is disabled. I know that I can not import a Samsung from the UK, the tuners are different along with the power supply, but has anyone had any luck with enabling the PVRs on any TVs here in the states? Or does anyone have any info on why we don't get PVRs built into out TVs? These seem like a cordcutters dream! A nice EPG with a PVR built in - only need an external HDD.
Thanks in advance!

I found an article about some newer TVs with recording options, but they are UK models.
https://www.avforums.com/article/sm...der-freeview-freesat-features-explained.10724
Could it be possible that the PVR is built in but disabled?
Thanks!
Tried to post links to the LG Smart+ and Samsung HU8500 from the review, but got caught by the spam filter. I went to the US sites for both and neither one said anything about PVRs.

My LG 42LA6200 tv set has a built-in dvr. However, since I'm in the U.S. the firmware disables it. Per AVSFORUM I'm aware of firmware from another country that allows for it to be used. That firmware won't work here though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts