Sorting Out 4K Ultra HDTV Categories

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
http://hdguru.com/sorting-out-4k-ultra-hdtv-categories/

Good little breakdown of current models and what they have and do not have.

It’s hard to recall a time when making a television buying selection has been more complicated and difficult than it is for this year’s crop of 4K Ultra HDTVs.

Particularly at the top end, 2015 4K Ultra HD television models are promising all sorts of new and exciting picture quality capabilities, ranging from adding the ability to read and display high dynamic range (HDR) to presenting a wider color gamut (WCG) than the Rec. 709 standard we have enjoyed since the early days of HDTVs.

The trouble is, the approaches to achieving some of these benefits are legion, and while some models are advertised as accepting HDR metadata and presenting a wide color gamut, not all will do so to the same level. On the other hand, some may actually read and display HDR and WCG to the fullest expected capabilities but aren’t advertised as having the ability. All of this is due in part to the newness of the technology and lack of standards for brightness or black levels needed to identify the range of light we should expect from HDR mastered content.

Because we know all of this can be the cause of many headaches, HD Guru has developed its first 4K Ultra HDTV categories listing, presenting feature sets and corresponding 4K UHD TV models in the hope of helping you organize those Holiday checklists a little more clearly. (Note that prices are listed as they appeared at the time this was written and posted and are subject to change at any time. Clicking the links will bring you to the latest prices).

Using that page, A1 and A2 have HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0a, and usually 90+% of DCI/P3. It seems the A3 category may be a little more limited on HDR ability than A1 and A2.

A1 will also have a more bright ability with HDR than A2. For example my 930C will hit over 100 footlamberts from what I have read, the Full array 940C will do over 200 footlamberts.

Interesting article...nice to see a good breakdown. I finally pulled the trigger on the 65" Samsung 9500 series that I've been drooling over all summer! Supposed to be delivered this Wednesday! :)

SUHD is not a standard. It's just Samsung's new marketing label.
I believe he's asking if those Sammy models have UHD blu ray standard (the way I'm reading it).
Yes they do is the answer. Some are better than others in that model.

I was at COSTCO yesterday and while I was there I saw 6 (yes 6) 4K TV's go out the door!

They has a Samsung 55 Inch SUHD (2015 model) going for $967!

But people were buying the larger screens as they felt the 55" looked too small. (It does look small in a giant warehouse club with a 70 inch next to the 55 inch. :)

The time for 4K is now.

I agree scott, our Costco is loaded with them at the front door.

To go along with the 940C price drop as I posted elsewhere, the 930C is now $3298.

Especially after reading that story, I'll wait for the dust, and prices, to settle.

Especially after reading that story, I'll wait for the dust, and prices, to settle.

If you buy an A1 or A2 now, you are in good shape.

Of course the 2016 models will most likely hit almost all if not 100% of DCI/P3 and could be cheaper... LG has confirmed the 2016 OLEDs will also have better motion.

Im more worried about the first gen players, I hope it goes better than the first couple of Blu-ray gens...

I kind of wonder what the sense is in all these ranges of offering. We are the discriminating group and it is a fairly small set. Most people will look at three things. Cost, size and labeling. 4K is a sellable feature because it is being promoted. However, the vast majority are more worried about the black bars than the picture enhancement features. The stores keep them all in torch mode, and I have noticed that the majority of uneducated households just leave it there.

The point is that I don't understand why Samsung and others market a half dozen 65" UHD sets. The general public will buy the base 600 series model. We geeks will bite the bullet and get the 9000 series. There is probably room for something halfway between at the $2000 price point.

The report itself gave us technobabble and too many options. I believe it mostly confuses.

I disagree on one thing. If you understand anything about the UHD spec (and you should before buying), it at least breaks out what displays meet certain requirements. Of course it isn't fair they do not all perform to the same UHD level, but this is a new tech, and we all know how early adoption is.

I would guess the mass could care less about HDR, HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0a and DCI/P3 color, and more about "is it 2160p?". The big kicker is going to be when folks figure out their old AVR's arent compatible if they get a UHD player with a single HDMI out...

I'm torn and will most likely wait. There is nothing wrong with my 60in 1080p now and it meets my current needs. However in the new house I'm sitting about 5ft further away and after running all the wiring in the walls and mounting it on the wall last weekend it looks small and I really need to go to 65 or 70

I disagree on one thing. If you understand anything about the UHD spec (and you should before buying), it at least breaks out what displays meet certain requirements. Of course it isn't fair they do not all perform to the same UHD level, but this is a new tech, and we all know how early adoption is.

I would guess the mass could care less about HDR, HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0a and DCI/P3 color, and more about "is it 2160p?". The big kicker is going to be when folks figure out their old AVR's arent compatible if they get a UHD player with a single HDMI out...

Again, that is talking about us geeks. 80% will listen through the TV speakers. The majority of those who want better sound will get a sound bar. This whole thing only matters to a very small percentage. My point is that we are willing to pay for quality, but 90+ percent don't know or care. So why have anything between the base and flagship model?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)