Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
(Note from Scott: This could get interesting!)

When Verizon launches a commercial LTE broadcast service capable of offering viewers access to multiple camera angles from sporting events like the Indianapolis 500, it’s looking more and more like it will rely on an LTE broadcast dongle from D-Link.

LTE chipset manufacturer Sequans Communications announced Tuesday that it is supplying D-Link with its VZ20Q EZLinkLTE module, which has been certified by Verizon.

For more details and photos please see:
http://donohuereport.com/broadband/d-link-sequans-building-embms-tv-dongle-for-verizon/

Is there really enough LTE bandwidth available to start doing a lot of this?

Not only that but Verizon has been pushing to get people to start making their voice calls over the LTE network too. I bought an iPhone 6 this week and right in the activation instruction pamphlet Verizon included the iPhone settings for turning VoLTE on.

Not that it's really necessary for most mobile phone applications but I'm thinking the days where we can pull in 55+ Mbps in Verizon LTE speedtests are numbered. They clearly want everything to be carried over their LTE network in the future.

I don't really understand it either. I have read articles saying that Verizon is going to start phasing out EVDO 3G as more and more smartphone customers upgrade to LTE capable devices. That makes sense since they can shift that spectrum over to LTE for things like this TV service and the increasing number of LTE smartphones.

I don't understand the reasoning behind wanting to shift voice calls from the 1X network to LTE though. The 1X network will be around much longer than 3G because that's still the voice network used for all basic phones, 3G smartphones, and most LTE phones in the wild. VoLTE has benefits for the customer but from Verizon's end it just seems like they are putting more strain on the LTE network and they still won't be able to shut down the 1X network for a LONG time anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts