working with stupid

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Meant working by myself lol. Yesterday I had another reminder of what happens when you don't wear your gloves. Was working on a project I started, to rebuild a polar mount for my Winegard 7.5 dish (cannabalized it for my motorized primestar-on-polar-mount project last year). Had a perfectly good 7.5bud without a mounting ring to hold it on a polar mount. Picked out a likely looking spare polar mount I had, and went to work. Drilling holes in a piece of 1/8" steel, and of course eventually I broke a drill bit. Which then made me fall forward and rake the drill, with the sharp remainder of the bit still in it, right across my left thumb. Ouch!
1/2" slice and one sharp stab from a steel splinter into the back of my thumb, bled like a pig, but its ok and no ER trip needed. Thank goodness for super glue.
So the moral is : If you work with your hands, wear the damn gloves you bought, lol. They might save you a lot of pain later. Maybe I can remember to put mine on more often now.
Pics of the project later in the week, when I get back to the project. It's gonna be a fixed dish on AMC6 C for NASA-my little 5' is just not pulling in enough signal any more.

I HATE it when that happens.:eek: Never let safety take second billing, sometimes you only get one chance. I sure hope that wound gets better....

Actually Turbo, both jobs I had dealing with power tools, gloves were FORBIDDEN to be worn while drilling, because if you get that glove caught in a drill bit, guess what? You gonna get cut up from the bit, that's what. I had a Magnetic Drill chucked up and drilling 1.5 inch holes in aluminum, and got a cotton glove caught in the bit whilest I was brushing away shavings, and I got away lucky, it only yanked the glove off my hand...:D

From then on compressed air blew my shavings away....:cool:

Hope ya heal up good and be careful out there, fella! :up

With 13 years as a heavy equipment mechanic, there are times when gloves shouldn't be worn. Sometimes they help and other times they can be worse. Not that it helps console you that you sliced a hand open. Hope you get better soon.:up

Drilling holes in a piece of 1/8" steel, and of course eventually I broke a drill bit. Which then made me fall forward and rake the drill, with the sharp remainder of the bit still in it, right across my left thumb. Ouch!

Just reading that made me cringe! Hope the wound heals perfectly. Does crazy glue really work in these cases?

Turbosat glad to hear your okay. One other suggestion is to wear goggles when drilling into steel, I know someone who sustained eye damage when a drill bit broke.

Ouch......I cringe because I can relate........I don't know how many scars I have as a result of similar accidents, slipping wrenches, misplaced pliers, knives that don't just cut what you want them to, screwdrivers that slip off the screw head.....the list goes on.
My most memorable one was trying to drill a very small hole in hardened steel (didn't know it was hardened until it happened) when the bit snapped and went straight in through the top of my thumb nail. As I was holding a paper towel over the neat little hole in my nail which was oozing blood as my thumb throbbed there was still blood dripping from my thumb. I turned it over and found that the bit had gone all the way through and I was bleeding from both sides. I hadn't noticed 'cause I'd pulled the drill back very quickly when the bit broke. Not quickly enough I guess! Ah the good ole' young and stupid days.

Good comments

Yep, I had eye protection>its funny I can always think of that and leave my hands wide open for cuts. And, agreed there are times when gloves shouldn't be worn. But for the little tinkering job I was doing, I shoulda had mine on. I'll be back on that project tomorrow I think, if it don't rain.
And yes, superglue works just fine for small cuts and gashes, regardless of what they say about external use only lol. Somebody told me it was used in Viet Nam for war wounds...still have to protect the cut for a day or two until the real skin mends.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)