World Cup on ABC sound issues - US v Ghana

yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
I'm not getting the broadcast in 5.1. The commercials are in surround, but not the ABC feed. It's only coming out of the center channel. Anyone else experiencing this, or is just the Denver ABC station?

You actually want to hear that buzzing sound - the soccer attack of the killer bees - in surround sound?

I am getting most of my sound of center channels on the Chicago feed.

Here in Los Angeles, I was hearing a buzzing sound ( beside the vuvuzuelas) on my left speaker. It was only on the abc station, sort of like a clapping buzzing sound. I just think that they were having issues.

Guess it was the feed from Africa. My receiver was showing 5.1, but definitely only sound from the center channel during the match. But the commercials were fine.

Fair point yaz. Actually my receiver was also showing DD 5.1 incoming signal, but as I said before no sound from the rears.

Fair point yaz. Actually my receiver was also showing DD 5.1 incoming signal, but as I said before no sound from the rears.

Mine was 5.1 as well. But again, not sure I would have wanted those blasted horns in real surround sound. It was horrible enough just in the center channel.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all there rocky! It was a good match. I really hoped we could pull it out, but getting behind early in both the regulation time as well as OT really killed us. Oh well.

ABC doesn't broadcast in Dolby 5.1, only Circle Surround which is a faux 5.1 that hardly works

ABC doesn't broadcast in Dolby 5.1, only Circle Surround which is a faux 5.1 that hardly works

Are you saying ever? My AV Receiver (a Denon 3808ci) is registering that it is receiving a DD 5.1 signal right now from ABC Atlanta HD on the movie they are showing "Red Rock Road". Is it lying to my receiver? I doubt this is the case.

The sound from South Africa was definitely in 5.1. I was watching the match on Univision and the sound was great! The vuvuzela sounds were electronically toned down but the crowd sound was still there. You could tell there was some sort of filtering process going on there as the crowd sound changed unnaturally at times. But it was all there out of all 5 speakers with great separation.

Are you saying ever? My AV Receiver (a Denon 3808ci) is registering that it is receiving a DD 5.1 signal right now from ABC Atlanta HD on the movie they are showing "Red Rock Road". Is it lying to my receiver? I doubt this is the case.
It is recognized by your receiver as DD, but they are really broadcasting Circle Surround 5.1 which is a faux surround sound. they just retransmit signals into the rear channels to give it an effect. ESPN Dolby Digital 5.1 = SRS Circle Surround - AVS Forum

I am not sure about ABC's non-sporting broadcasts. Those could be real 5.1

As for Univision, I'm not sure about that

The sound from South Africa was definitely in 5.1. I was watching the match on Univision and the sound was great! The vuvuzela sounds were electronically toned down but the crowd sound was still there. You could tell there was some sort of filtering process going on there as the crowd sound changed unnaturally at times. But it was all there out of all 5 speakers with great separation.

Not on ABC. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts