WorldsportHD? Is it still HD-lite?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I am not going to get Worldsport HD anywhere else -I know that- but I will keep waiting until things get 'normal'... So I will keep waiting and waiting and waiting, who knows?!?!?!:confused: :confused: :confused:

chelseafan said:
I am not going to get Worldsport HD anywhere else -I know that- but I will keep waiting until things get 'normal'... So I will keep waiting and waiting and waiting, who knows?!?!?!:confused: :confused: :confused:

Chelseafan,

You're missing some good games. The picture looks damn good even if it's HD Lite. La Liga reports and the games look awesome to me.

Kirby and Randall,
You are probably right!!! In that case, I guess to the normal eye there is not much of a difference between HD-lite and regular HD?

Well as I have mentioned in other posts, other threads, the HD lite coming from Voom/Dish is, IMO, on my set, much better than that of the HD lite from D*. I will take some bandwidth readings from a soccer game tonight if there is one on, and see what rate the channel is getting.

The biggest thing I have noticed in the 10 or so games I have watched so far is that at some stadiums, the crispness of the picture, and brightness, is much better than at other stadiums. Could it be related to the weather conditions (rain, fog, etc) or even the pitch color? I have no idea yet. But overall, I really enjoy watching the games and they look pretty darn good to me.

It could be related to the stadium. I have been to Santiago Bernabeu (Real Madrid's) stadium and it can get pretty foggy because of smoke and humid conditions not to mention that the stadium is like a a hole in the ground.

Chelseafan,

I was an old VOOM customer, almost from the beginning. In my opinion, you wouldn't notice a difference between the old VOOM days resolution and now UNLESS you had a HUGE 60 inch screen. I only have a 32 inch Samsung CRT and I can tell you that I honestly cannot tell there's any problem with the picture in comparison to the days when VOOM operated independently. This could be due to the likelihood that my 32 inch set doesn't have more than 1280 x 1080i resolution to begin with, but it could be that the difference is SOOO small that it might as well be insignificant. There HAVE been some graphical anomalies of late, but that was due to a temporary uplink issue. The ONLY HD broadcasts of La Liga in the WORLD are yours on Dish. When I've been in Madrid, I've spoken with many of the locals that I can watch 1 LIVE game per week at home in High-Definition and they are quite envious... believe me. :)

Last edited:
There are definately differences depending on the source material. I've always said the HD-Lite things was being blown out of proportion- after all it's still better than SD. But I did see something on Equator the other day that looked extremely flat and dull- still better than SD, but not by much. If everything looked like this did, I would have been screaming more than Gary. I still can't tell much of a difference on the movie channels, and that's what I watch the most.

Still, content is the important thing. I still don't understand why someone who wants Voom PRIMARILY for Worldsport would refuse to subscribe simply due to "HD-Lite". Those games aren't available anywhere else, and if they are, they're in SD.

It's true that I won't watch a movie on HBO2 if it will be on HBO HD the same month- I'll just wait for it. But I still watch movies on Starz, because they aren't going to be available in HD.

I was watching some of the Takas Quartet on VOOM the other day, I believe on Gallery, and the picture quality was mediocre. It looked like upconverted SD. This is certainly the exception rather the rule from VOOM.

hd lite

I recently spoke to a csr about the HDlite issue, to make it short she was very insistant that dish does not downrez any of their hd channels and that "evidently people on this forum dont know what they are talking about". She even put me on hold to verify that with other techs. they wont even admit some of the channels are
lite!

CSR's dont know anything. Call back and talk to 9 more, and you will have 10 different "facts" all contradicting each other.

But what was said may be 'technically' correct too. Its been reported that its Voom doing the downrez to get everything sent on the existing fiber link.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)