Worst call center experiance ever. My letter to CEO

Status
Please reply by conversation.
""if you paid your bills on time this would not be a problem". That is a fact. "..It may be a fact but a CSR has no right pointing that out. This is inappropriate conduct and any company with an ounce of integrity would fire this individual on the spot..
CSR's and sales people are trained to listen and say nothing that would incite a pissing contest. Their job is to follow company procedure. Not to take it upon themselves to pass judgement on a customer.
Do yourself a favor "fleas' and stay out of customer service..You have some nerve criticizing this poster...

Ideally, sure... But let's face it, most customer service reps regardless of the company do have limits to their patience, training or energy. If you've been running circles with a customer for twenty minutes and they keep dancing around the obvious, it's almost always better to put it in the open and move on.

I only pull punches with high priority clientele, and even then I have limits. That's not to say I'm not generally courteous, on the job I am. But if someone is being flat out outpleasant, I'll give them a small bit of leway, after all they are customers. When that leway is exhausted, the gloves come off and I lay down what I can do, what I will do, and what options are available.

What I don't understand is if a customer knowingly and willfully continues to shoot themselves in the foot, at the company's expense, and then blames the company for doing something about it; why is it wrong for a CSR to say as much? Passing judgment is personal opinion in disguise. That the customer failing to pay on time is resulting in their situation, and paying on time would prevent said situation is stating fact, albeit bluntly.

Ideally, sure... But let's face it, most customer service reps regardless of the company do have limits to their patience, training or energy. If you've been running circles with a customer for twenty minutes and they keep dancing around the obvious, it's almost always better to put it in the open and move on.

I only pull punches with high priority clientele, and even then I have limits. That's not to say I'm not generally courteous, on the job I am. But if someone is being flat out outpleasant, I'll give them a small bit of leway, after all they are customers. When that leway is exhausted, the gloves come off and I lay down what I can do, what I will do, and what options are available.

What I don't understand is if a customer knowingly and willfully continues to shoot themselves in the foot, at the company's expense, and then blames the company for doing something about it; why is it wrong for a CSR to say as much? Passing judgment is personal opinion in disguise. That the customer failing to pay on time is resulting in their situation, and paying on time would prevent said situation is stating fact, albeit bluntly.

Haven't you been listening, he doesn't want anyone to bring up the part about the bill and not paying it. That's not what this is about!!:rolleyes:

Haven't you been listening, he doesn't want anyone to bring up the part about the bill and not paying it. That's not what this is about!!:rolleyes:

No he does not want to listen. Read his post. He is a customer service rep. And he knows darn well he is in the wrong and if to actually do what he is saying at work he would not hold his job very long.

Again I would ask him, When a customer ask to speak to his supervisor does he ignore, deny, and hang up on his customer. I am sure the answer is no.

Another reply that did not read the post and makes not sense. That okay with me. no harm. He just trying to justify himself for things he wants to do but cant as a CSR.

Peace.

See this is a little different, we make no money on the backside from Dish initially. The only money we make is from what we charge the customer on the installation. My profit from this Job comes from a monthly residual check when this guy pays the bill ontime. A stadard residential Job you make your money upfront and then maybe a $1 per month in a residual, a commercial Job like this you make $0 money upfront, but you make 15% of the programming bill![/QUOTE Ok....I had no idea...So you would be willing to service the account(within reasonable parameters) at no charge because of the residual..Thanks for the info...

Can we please close this thread this is going nowhere. Put the account on CC Autopay. I have been with Dish since 96 and i would say i have had about a 99% Good CSR experience.

EVeryone has bad days even the reps in India..

No one should have to put up with a customer if they are belligerent or unreasonable. And I don't expect a CSR to sit there and be insulted, sworn at or generally abused..This poster did none of that..IMO the CSR committed one of deadly sins.The CSR argued with the customer and refused a request to speak to a supervisor..If the CSR had just honored the kick up the flagpole, none of this would have happened..IMO this CSR was wrong 100% when they made that comment..Now remember the person who started the thread had paid the money owed and the mistake was verified to be Dish's fault..Baqsed on that sole item the CSR was dead wrong..Because the bill was indeed paid in full and the service restored..
Look, As a tech, I am a CSR of sorts as well..I put up with a lot of BS from customers who don't know..Usually their anger is not directed at me, but at the situation. I have the abilty to hgandle people and get thtings calemd down and save the job..However when csutomers direct their anger at me, I put my foot down and let them know that I am just the tech my job is install/service their system. That's all..Any further inquiries should be made to Dish..But I will not stand around for more than 10-15 mins waiting for that to end..I tell the cust, that they need to call Dish and hash it out with them. It is not part of my job to get involved in disputes between Dish and the Customer..
I think we are in agreement on some of these issues..Trust me, the biggest myth in the history of the world is "the customer is always right"...They are not..

Last edited:
No he does not want to listen. Read his post. He is a customer service rep. And he knows darn well he is in the wrong and if to actually do what he is saying at work he would not hold his job very long.

Again I would ask him, When a customer ask to speak to his supervisor does he ignore, deny, and hang up on his customer. I am sure the answer is no.

Another reply that did not read the post and makes not sense. That okay with me. no harm. He just trying to justify himself for things he wants to do but cant as a CSR.

Peace.

Apparently, you missed the sarcasm in my post! Surprised, I think not! :rolleyes:

Peace.

I did read your response and no, I'm not a CSR. If you were to compare which you're trying and not accomplishing very well, they have the ability to get screamed at by you, I have the ability to fix all your woes, make you feel better, and move on to the next case. As far as knowing "he is in the wrong" that would be the self-presumptuous "Customer is always right" statement that I've been referring to this week that makes people less likely to do ANYTHING to help you.

When a customer asks to speak to someone's supervisor, I would agree they should be able to. But I have people request to escalate issues every day, just because they figure if they get high enough they'll get what they want. But again, I'm not a CSR. If someone tries to escalate when I am attempting to help them, and I have the ability to help them, I will not escalate them without business reasons to do so. Just because they made the demand doesn't cut it with me. But again...not a CSR, different situation.

Let me make one thing clear though. You don't want to insult someone willing to work with you (this would be me making statements and you making personal attacks,) EVEN if they disagree with you. Because unlike CSRs - retailers, executives and just about everyone else in the business IS in a position to do something about it...

If I were a CSR and was insulted by you, I'm not petty enough to do anything to your account. But if you're missing a discount or I can forsee a problem in the near future that I could just fix for you but would take time away from my other jobs to make it happen, don't think I would. There are people far more petty than I who wouldn't take the high road though. Remember that.

DISHCOMM:

You have my respect. Anyone that does your job and does it well has it. You have a tiresome, thankless and highly technical job that few appreciate. But I do see where you're coming from. I understand people have some issues with CSRs, but here's some things people don't understand about them:

1. They get screamed at, A LOT. Most of the time, it has nothing to actually do with them, or another CSR. Imagine getting screamed at a few thousand times for each new fee or price increase the company decides, and NONE of it being apologized for. Is that what they signed on for?

2. Their job is beyond obscenely thankless. If they fix 10,000 issues, but two slip through, it has the POTENTIAL to get them fired, even if the other 9,998 times they do an awesome job.

3. CSRs can't hang up without approval. They can be cussed out, insulted, or otherwise abused, they must ask before hanging up a call. (Yes, it can be done. But it gets unpleasant if it happens from what I've heard.)

CSRs don't have the luxury if the customer is upset to send them elsewhere. They have to deal with them. They can't transfer them, move them around (with the exception of Tech Support) or send them back to the retailer/installer (unless under retailer warranty.) So they deserve some slack too.

Last edited:
again you missed reading the main post. My wife did not get angry or rude in any way to the CSR. He was the only one who got rude and aggitated. I dont always believe the customers right. That would be crazy. But this was not a right and wrong issue. It was plain and simple a rude CSR that handled a very pleasent customer the wrong way. If I would have been on the phone I would not have been nice. I would have been much more direct like the other post said as well.

Your point if the situation was like you said, fine to the point your were making. I have no argument with your second post and example situation. But our problem was not like your hypothetical situation. Ours was plain and simple RUDE customer service that should have never happened.

Also your points are off the mark in some ways,

1. CSRS accept a paycheck and the job they are doing. They know there are going to be some tough calls. That is what the Supervisor is for. To escalate those tough calls too. Dont take the job if you cant handle it.

2. CSRS are going to deal with people that are mad or rude from time to time. They should be trained to properly defuse the situation. Not just make it a personal war with the customer on the line. Again, if the customer is aggitated most good customer service clerks will know the breaking point to themselves ask the customer to hold for a supervisor.

3. I do agree NO ONE should threaten or swear to a CSR. That is uncalled for and yes a CSR should hang up on someone that would be that rude. I know as mad as I would ever get I would never get to this level with a CSR.

4.There job is pointless? I have give kudos and many thanks to many a CSR that has helped me along the way. I am sure many do the same. Why would they be thanked if they are argumentive and rude to customers. If you cant stand the heat get out of the fire. Bad CSR's are bad for the companys they represent. Bottom line.

My wife trains customer service for a large company. She again is not as direct as I am. However she could not stop laughing when she read your post.

She said you sound like a disgruntled CSR that lost there job and know are tying to make yourself feel better.

Whatever.

Last edited:
Hey, again... let's all play nice! Personal attacks are uncalled for and certainly not in the spirit of this forum.

I have also experienced some of the frustrating Dish CSR conversations where the CSR refused to connect to the supervisor. I have never had my service shut off, but, I have been cheated out of service ($50 in ClubDish credits) as well as no credit for loss of service due to defective receivers and out-of-pocket expenses for shipping charges for said defective receivers. I have also had some positive experiences with Dish CSR's, but I must say the attitude Iceshark experienced is not the rare exception.

At any rate, despite the other circumstances surrounding this issue, there is no excuse for personal attacks on fellow members - especially when one doesn't know the whole situation (or in the case of some posts, has not even bothered to read the whole thread before feeling compelled to comment).

Hey, again... let's all play nice! Personal attacks are uncalled for and certainly not in the spirit of this forum.

I have also experienced some of the frustrating Dish CSR conversations where the CSR refused to connect to the supervisor. I have never had my service shut off, but, I have been cheated out of service ($50 in ClubDish credits) as well as no credit for loss of service due to defective receivers and out-of-pocket expenses for shipping charges for said defective receivers. I have also had some positive experiences with Dish CSR's, but I must say the attitude Iceshark experienced is not the rare exception.

At any rate, despite the other circumstances surrounding this issue, there is no excuse for personal attacks on fellow members - especially when one doesn't know the whole situation (or in the case of some posts, has not even bothered to read the whole thread before feeling compelled to comment).

Since the word "moderator" does not yet appear under your name, please don't feel the need to continue to play the role of the apologist in this thread.

Since the word "moderator" does not yet appear under your name, please don't feel the need to continue to play the role of the apologist in this thread.

You who accuses another of moderating the thread and (berates him for it), do you not moderate the thread yourself?

I kinda like this thread. It shows (in forum fasion) how a customer and a CSR escalate the conversation into personal insults! Which, coindicentally, is the TOPIC under DISCUSSION! :D

Okay, Your not going to believe this cr*p! My wife took off to teach today in Texas. I get home from airport and guess what. Thats right, DISH OFF AGAIN!

Now its my turn to call DISH! First I arm myself with proof of payment from my Credit card online report. Paid in full on 1-11-07 So its GO TIME!

I call up DISH and a male CSR answers. He does have an accent but I was told by CEO office that Dish no longers uses call centers out of USA. So he must be here.

I ask why is my service off AGAIN! He calmly says "Sir, Your service is temp turned off due to a check being returned! I am about to freak but keep my attitude in check. I exlpain the whole situatiton to him and my call with Jennifer at CEO office. He does not hear a word I said (this seems to be the norm) and says I must pay my bill by credit card to get service back on. I am like YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR ARE DOING. I would like to "PLEASE" Talk to you supervisor now. He just like the other 2 keeps dodging getting me a supervisor. I finally tell him, I have had enough. I am calling CEO number I have for Jennifer. I hang up. Another RUDE encounter. This time it is not my fault in the least.

I call CEO and get recording. I leave messege and email again.
Within 5 minutes my phone rings. Its a different person at CEO office. He is very apoligetic and says it was a system error as I had setup Auto pay yesterday and somehow it confused system? He says he turned back on programming and will credit me a month service for all my trouble. This time I took the credit.

Will this ever end!

Jackie

Also my husband just mentioned. He toured the Echostar plant in 1992 and was the top sales company for Echostar 510 (Cband) receivers for California in 1992. He said Echo line was not a great line of Cband stuff but he loved the Houston tracker line that was purchased by Echostar in 1992.

I have a HTS 8+ since it first came out and it still works today. Sidecar as well.
Ever since the last E prom (2.91 Sharp Tuner) I just keep naming the satellites myself. These analog receivers give pictures that Dish and Direct owners can only dream of.

Okay, Your not going to believe this cr*p! My wife took off to teach today in Texas. I get home from airport and guess what. Thats right, DISH OFF AGAIN!

Now its my turn to call DISH! First I arm myself with proof of payment from my Credit card online report. Paid in full on 1-11-07 So its GO TIME!

I call up DISH and a male CSR answers. He does have an accent but I was told by CEO office that Dish no longers uses call centers out of USA. So he must be here.

I ask why is my service off AGAIN! He calmly says "Sir, Your service is temp turned off due to a check being returned! I am about to freak but keep my attitude in check. I exlpain the whole situatiton to him and my call with Jennifer at CEO office. He does not hear a word I said (this seems to be the norm) and says I must pay my bill by credit card to get service back on. I am like YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR ARE DOING. I would like to "PLEASE" Talk to you supervisor now. He just like the other 2 keeps dodging getting me a supervisor. I finally tell him, I have had enough. I am calling CEO number I have for Jennifer. I hang up. Another RUDE encounter. This time it is not my fault in the least.

I call CEO and get recording. I leave messege and email again.
Within 5 minutes my phone rings. Its a different person at CEO office. He is very apoligetic and says it was a system error as I had setup Auto pay yesterday and somehow it confused system? He says he turned back on programming and will credit me a month service for all my trouble. This time I took the credit.

Will this ever end!

Most CSR"s are trained to read a script. They are often observed on (monitored) and are evaluated how well they adher to their script. They often do not have access to billing records to verify what you are telling them.. Why dont you chose the option for "tier 2 technical support"..These people are better trained than norm csr's and often resolve issues faster (in my experience)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)