Worst SD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GB33

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Indianapolis
While there are PLENTY of bad looking overly compressed noise ridden channels in DTV's lineup. What would be your vote for the worst. I would have to say NFL Network with WGN coming in close second. Nfl net is just awful. If I have my tv on streatch it is almost unbearable. In 4:3 it is still very very bad, but I still watch it.

Hey, if the set is big enough, yup those SD channels can get really ugly, can't watch em on my projector, but, that's what the 36 in CRT is for. My buddy has cable and the same projector, believe me, they are ugly there too at the size (106). At least where I am.

Oh, and GB, seriously man, it's time you turned in your D*. You just have not been real happy and I like D* but it's not worth it. Go to E*, maybe you will feel better. If your not into the NFL ST, it's time to make a change.

A D* sub here for the last 10 years.

It all depends on which display I'm watching.

On my 48" Mits, DIY and FOOD Network, NFL a close 2nd.

On my 36" CRT, They all look pretty good.

I've tried a 102" projector setup. Turned it on and Whoa! :eek: I thought I forgot to put my glassses on.

On my 36" CRT, the local SD CBS is worst. All the non-local channels look fine to me. I actually started watching the Greensboro CBS station as a result because it looks better and doesn't have sound dropouts.

Ted

The worst for me is the TBS LOCAL Atlanta station. TBS has the national channel on 247 and I never had problems with it when I lived in Ohio but in Atlanta it's a local station. It's horrible. The quality sometimes reminds me of a UHF channel that is barely coming in using rabbit ear antennas! Ghost images and all.....

Yeah, the TBS channel is pretty bad. Especially the late night commercials / infomercials, ugh, horrible PQ. I try to watch the HD content on local channels, but 90% of the time its not HD content.

I think channel 293, Baby First is some horrible stuff. Its worse than most of the FTA channels I pick up on junkier FTA satellites...

And to think, years ago, I use to watch everyones faces when they were at my place because they couldn't believe how much better the PQ was on this new SAT thing compared to their cable.

Years ago it was true and still is in some instances.

My parents have TWC and my brother/SI-L live on the other side of the town home have D*.

TWC looks like garbage on my parents 36" CRT. The D* PQ is much better on my brothers 32" CRT.

I also checked the PQ on another SI-L with TWC. I can't stand watching TV over there. The picture is "soft" "grainy" and I swear there's some ghosting on some channels.

In both instances of TWC they have the Digital package. Analog of course looks the worst but the digital lineup doesn't look much better.

I know on my 40" Sony Direct-View most SD channels look very good. Yes projecting a SD channels on a 90"+ screen is not going to look as good, but I guarantee every cable and sat provider is not any better.

FlyingJ said:
And to think, years ago, I use to watch everyones faces when they were at my place because they couldn't believe how much better the PQ was on this new SAT thing compared to their cable.
I remember this and wish it were still the same case. Now, in another flip of roles, people are with satellite not because of its picture improvement but because it is cheaper.

FlyingJ said:
Oh, and GB, seriously man, it's time you turned in your D*. You just have not been real happy and I like D* but it's not worth it. Go to E*, maybe you will feel better. If your not into the NFL ST, it's time to make a change.

I never said I wasn't happy as that is not the case. In fact quite the opposite which is why I hesitate to leave. I would just like to record OTA HD and a little better PQ and perhaps save a few bucks.

vurbano said:
Ive heard reports over the years that SD on E* is worse than D*.

Could there be any more variances on this opinion?! Wow, lately I have read mostly the opposite. Opinions and TV sets make the difference I guess.
My TV is not that big, it's an "oldy" HD F38310 RCA 38" . Same tube as the Lowe 38" Anaconda. It has a built in HD DTV box, but unfortunately no outputs.

I have a 50"SD Phillips Magnavox RPTV that I had professionally adjusted.With E*
DP301 had to run size at 4:3 for good PQ.With D* D11 Have to run size on 16:9
for good PQ.
P.S. I watched this TV for 4 years thinking the alien spacecraft on Independence
Day was green,now I know it's blue.

GB33 said:
I remember this and wish it were still the same case. Now, in another flip of roles, people are with satellite not because of its picture improvement but because it is cheaper.

And in some areas, like the flood zone I'm in, satellite is more reliable than cable, since cables get saturated (or something) and stay out for 6-8 hours after a heavy rain, compared to the maybe 1-10 minute rainfade outages on satellite, even hurricanes, comcast stayed out for months from last years, my D* was up the minute I got power back.

I have written D* about how crappy they look in general on my 54" Mistu. Their response "Our signal is optimized for 4:3 TV's that are less than 32" in size." So they could give a rats ass about those of us that may be a lil over privileged, however, I was in BB today and the 720p set at 42" seems to be around 900 in general, and dropping fast.

Last edited:
slacker9876 said:
I have written D* about how crappy they look in general on my 54" Mistu. Their response "Our signal is optimized for 4:3 TV's that are less than 32" in size." So they could give a rats ass about those of us that may be a lil over privileged, however, I was in BB today and the 720p set at 42" seems to be around 900 in general, and dropping fast.
Do you know how you optimize a 4:3 32" or less tv? You put analog on it. What a ridiculous answer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)