Worth pointing to 107 W Anik-F1R C band

If your a fan of the sitcom Big Bang Theory there are 2 different episodes on most days of the week. In addition, you can find many of the prime time US network shows.

Hi All,

I agree its a satellite with great programming and a strong signal to boot.
Unfortunately, ANIK F1R is being decommissioned in a few months and there will be no replacement satellite. Who knows were the FTA feeds from this satellite will end up ? :(

John

Hi All,

Was watching this satellite several times yesterday and feeling bad that such a strong satellite will soon be scrapped due to lack of fuel. Too bad nothing can be done to extend its service life as it seems as if it could be viable for quite a few more years. What a waste.
I wonder where its programming will end up ?

John

Reactions: FTA4PA
Hi All,

Was watching this satellite several times yesterday and feeling bad that such a strong satellite will soon be scrapped due to lack of fuel. Too bad nothing can be done to extend its service life as it seems as if it could be viable for quite a few more years. What a waste.
I wonder where its programming will end up ?

John
Probably IP delivery which will leave us out of the loop. :(

With things like this happening I'm having second thoughts about buying new C-band antennas to replace my hail damaged dishes.

Reactions: Lone Gunman
Hi All,

Just read an interesting article regarding Anik F1R.
In a Space News article dated November 8, 2019, Telsat chairman Dan Goldberg stated:

"Anik-F1R has just two to three years of service left, based on current operations, but might be extended by inclining the satellite’s orbit so it needs less fuel for station keeping. Telesat is working on reselling the capacity previously used by Shaw, he said.
Goldberg said Anik-F1R could still serve aviation and maritime customers in an inclined orbit, since those markets use tracking antennas that can follow the satellite as it sways in the sky. The satellite would no longer be useful for direct-to-home television, since those antennas would lose its signal from an inclined orbit."

So if this article is correct and the info remains up to date, Anik F1R might be serving us a little longer than we expected, possibly until 2022.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts