Would a Bigger Dish Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kc5qih

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
Good Morning Everyone
I got my FTA system set up yesterday and im tracking the arc pretty good,with the exception that i cant get from 110 on because of my neighbors house..but my question is about SBS6, would getting a slightly larger dish, say a 36" v.s. the 31" i have now make that much of a difference in the quality of that bird. I can get ONN pretty good but nothing else. Just wondering if its because the dish.

THanks

Chris

What signal Quality are you getting right now on "ONN"?

I am at 85+% quality with a 36" dish and Invacom QPH-031 LNBF.

well it fluctuates(sp) between 79-82% quality. Yesterday I was on it and it just seemed that all i got a lot of digital blip on some transponders...then last night i couldnt get it at all. I just wonder if the wind may have been doing something to the dish and that might have thrown me off. I may not even be dead on the arc...guessi could always hire someone to come out here and aim the thing good. Im thinking something is wrong with my satellite finder meter, i had it inline and it read nothing, then i took it out of line and went to my receiver and got 85%+ on IA 5...just dont understand about SBS6. So I figured either I need a bigger dish or maybe it wasnt aligned perfectly with IA5 so i need to hire someone to align it perfectly and maybe then it will track the arc more smoothly or something..

Signal meters can help, but thats about all. You just can't beat the Signal Quality meter on the receiver for pointing a dish (Not talking about positive satellite I.D. meters the professionals use of course).

Wind can be a problem with these bigger dish thats why I hardly ever put one on a roof, only as a last resort and with the understanding that wind fade is as bad as rain fade.

Most of the other channels on this satellite are feeds and they can vary in signal quality, but 80% quality on ONN is not too bad at all.

for instance i've got a transponder up right now carrying nascar, and it will be fine for a second then cut out then be fine for second then cut out ...

yeah ive nudged it in both directions, just doesn't help much.

Another thing is to make sure both sides of the motor angle mount reads the same. Sometimes, when you set the "Elevation side" and then just tighten down the "Angle side," it gets a little cockamamie. Make sure both sides are equal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts