Would G4 being bought by UFC get it back on DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ETS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Port Ewen, NY
Many news sites are saying UFC is in talks with NBC Universal of buying controlling stake of G4. With UFC's contract with Spike ending at the end of the year they would move their UFC shows off Spike over to G4.

I think if UFC buys G4, I think DirecTV would bring the channel back and possible even in HD.

G4 currently only has about 6 orginal shows(Attack Of The Show, Web Soup, X-Play, American Ninja Warrior, & Campus Cops) the rest of their programming is repeats of shows and movies. With them also doing specials at Gaming & geek conventions.

With UFC looking at buying G4 as it appears NBC Universal wants to sell it off due to low ratings. Should DirecTV bring the channel back before its bought by UFC as it would be cheaper?

Absolutely not. They made the right choice dumping it. And now that word is out, it won't be 'cheaper' now versus if/when/after a deal goes through. In fact, Comcast will try to milk every penny they can out of it. UFC PPV is still a big draw, but the weekly matchups and The Ultimate Fighter have been slipping in the ratings for a long time (why Spike is dumping them). I don't see UFC bringing anything to the table that can turn that awful channel around.

Last edited:
Tech TV was bought about by comcast and merged into G4. Hence the comment to fix it by bringing back tech TV.

Even TechTV was on the downhill slide. ZDTV was where it was at!! :D :D
Leo tells the story that when ZDTV became TechTV, and Uncle Paul Allen sunk a bunch of money into building the state of the art for the time TechLive set. He was ready to sell the channel the week TechLive started their all day tech coverage. He sold it to Comcast in short order and the day that deal was done was Leo's last.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)