Status
Please reply by conversation.

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
... Let's just say it's far more realistic today than it was yesterday. I had the comcast HD DVR installed today for a demo. It is the Motorola DTC-6412 Phase III converter. As you can see from my post in the Comcast forum, I am a fan. the box is really ready to go with all technologies (even MRV, I think) but in tradition of cable, nothing is "supported." I plan to mess with the SATA, 1394 & Ethernet very soon. I had thought tomorrow but with football I doubt it.

First thoughts: It crushed the R15 & HR10-250,

More thoughts: [Reserved for future use]

As far as moving, perhaps not yet. I am very anxious to see what MPEG-4 is like and the HMC is sure to beat anything cable can offer, but only time will tell.

If I were you I would call Directv retention and threaten to move over to comcast, even if you are under contract they will offer you a sweet deal to stay.

I would do that but I have received many, many, many retention credits from D* to date. The real point that I am making is that if MPEG4 is a flop, and D* does not expand the HD lineup, there will be real danger from cable from loyalists such as myself. The Motorola/Ucentic synergy is the product I have been looking for in a DVR. I hacked all my SD TiVo units to add the enhancements that I and many others felt should be there. The TiVo interface will ship with Comcast DVRs come 2007, and with how far the TiVo has come as a standalone 2007 looks to be a heck of a product. I will wait and see what shakes out with MPEG4, I would imagine with the roll-out speed of the top 12 that my DMA (Denver #18) will be transitioned sooner rather than later. It will all hinge on the power of the HMC for me.

After a long discussion with the Comcast employed installer, all the ports on the 6412 have been reported to him as live, full digital lineups are less than 5 months away (for my market) and the PQ is there. I can only hope that HD Lite will not be the D* standard, because if that is where it is after MPEG4 ... D* will be a hurting unit. I am already returning my R15 to Robert at VE, because I hate the unit compared to TiVo and while the 6412 is not a TiVo, it is fast, responsive and loaded with data ports. I mean it is nice to know I'll really have a choice for a pay TV provider. Of course the NFL ST package remains a "kicker" in D*'s hand, my wife will never abandon that perk and D* has a stranglehold until 2010.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)