would like to know

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johninillinois

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
gf purchased a tivo for me from directv and was install over the weekend. all went well with the install. as the installer was doing this he told me locals should be available next week and will be on the 72 degree bird.

as i used to install for both directv and dish i have about 30 old satellites with dual lnb setting in my moms basement now. will i be able to go and put one up and grab my locals with any problems or will this take a special lnb or does anyone have any idea. hoping to hear from someone soon

I think I read somewhere that they are starting installs in Boise for testing by DirecTV employees, though they won't be available to others 'till October. So SOMEONE knows how it will work, they just haven't talked yet. :)

Most likely, an 18" dish w/dual LNB would work - it's also possible that while the 18" would work, the LNB might NOT. The problem is, D* has NOT said what kind of switch this will require. Until then, everyone is in the dark now.

I don't have a source to post, just recalling this from memory when it was announced that DTV was asking the FCC for permission late last year ... so take it FWIW.

The 72.5 bird will use a round dish with dual LNB combined with a 4x4 multi-switch and the customers existing round dish with dual LNB already pointed at 101. The IRD will "think" the 72.5 dish is actually pointed at 119 and therefore it will be transparent as far as the IRD is concerned. Adding 110 would require a third dish and a Sat-C kit. As it stands right now, PhaseIII dishes wouldn't work for the 72.5 scenario.

thank you for the help i have the triple dish up now and was told they are going to use the 72.5 deg bird. i was wondering if i can take a extra dish i have here and see if i can find the bird prior to next monday launch date of locals here and have the jump on everyone here.

my single strenght on my bird is in the mid and low 90's for everything except about 2 transponders so am thinking i should be in great shape

You could aim a dish with a standard inline signal strength meter, or MAYBE youre receiver will give you the strength with a "wrong satellite" warning. You are either going to need a new multiswitch, or some kind of signal combining parts... which it will be is yet to be seen, but I think right now most guesses are are towards the multiswitch.

In other words, the best you might be able to do is point it. You won't be able to wire it in the way it will need to be wired. May as well wait until more is known about what you will need.

VOOMER said:
if you have one pointed at 101 then point this one at 72.5 for the locals,then the 2 need to be combined with a 4x4 multiswitch ... If you are using the Phase 3 setup -you still need a basic dish pointed at 72.5 and then need a 6x8 multiswitch to complete the set up.
I wouldn't provide that suggestion until it's known exactly what the setup will be. IF they go with the signal combiner type set-up, then a standard 4x4 switch would work (though you'd still need to get the new combiner and special from DirecTV, which aren't available yet). But I think it's ore likely that they'll go with a DiSEqC multiswitch. These are different than the typical multiswitches that we are using today. You can't just go out and buy a 6x8 multiswitch that you know will work in this setup. Until they announce what the hardware requirements are going to be, we won't know which of these setups is going to be the one that works.

i called the company selling the switch to ask and was told them only were told about it at the cedia show in indy at the start of the month and should be shipping on tuesday this week coming up.

it sounds as directv is not totally prepared for this as yet and will be a huge cluster when they start :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)