Would Losing Distant Nets Cause You to Switch to DirecTV?

Would you switch to DirecTV if you lose Distant nets?

• Yes

Votes: 24 9.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • No

Votes: 199 81.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 9 3.7%

• Total voters
Is WWOR turing off? If that's the case I may have to drop all my locals and get them through Comast since my Dish locals look terrible.

No, Direct is not bound by this injunction and if you qualify for Distants, Direct can and will turn them on for you. You can go to Direct website and put your address in and find out for sure if you qualify.
But, if Directv has locals for your DMA, they will NOT let you have Distances though.

No, Direct is not bound by this injunction and if you qualify for Distants, Direct can and will turn them on for you. You can go to Direct website and put your address in and find out for sure if you qualify.

Why aren't they bound by the same aggreement? If the local staytions don't want you to see a distant station what difference does it make which sat provider you are with? Please explain further.

Ron

Why aren't they bound by the same aggreement? If the local staytions don't want you to see a distant station what difference does it make which sat provider you are with? Please explain further.

Ron
In a nut-shell and not worded as a lawyer would word it (so this may not be accurate)...
It appears that EchoStar and Co repeated and knowingly allowed those that were not authorized to receive Distant Network Stations, to actually receive a subscription to such service. And Congress requires the punishment to be for E & Co to lose their license that authorizes them to retransmit those DNS signals.

So if other companies do the same thing, get caught, end up in court, and are punished, then it seems like they would get the samething - the (congressionally) required punishment is to lose your License to Retransmit DNS.

I don't have DNS, but I would vote no. I had DirecTV through Qwest, but didn't like the programming. There is more to watching TV than DNS. However, if the only reason you have satellite is to get DNS, then I could see people shifting.

Last edited:
Right now, the only thing keeping me with E* is what's left of the 18 month DIU contract. Not too long ago (but after I upgraded to a ViP211 and accepted the terms of the DIU contract), D* decided that maybe my address really can't get a grade B signal and that my address does qualify for HD distants (but not the SD versions, like I care). So, I have a perfectly acceptable way of getting all 4 networks in HD but am stuck with an E* contract for another 11 months. I have to wonder if there's any way to get out of the contract without penalty due to DNS getting shut off...

Right now, the only thing keeping me with E* is what's left of the 18 month DIU contract. Not too long ago (but after I upgraded to a ViP211 and accepted the terms of the DIU contract), D* decided that maybe my address really can't get a grade B signal and that my address does qualify for HD distants (but not the SD versions, like I care). So, I have a perfectly acceptable way of getting all 4 networks in HD but am stuck with an E* contract for another 11 months. I have to wonder if there's any way to get out of the contract without penalty due to DNS getting shut off...

I would certainly think you would have a valid arguement for terminating your contract.

Does Dish have a good dual tuner DVR that records OTA HD signals? I might ask for a couple of these if they can't get the injunction stayed. Either way there's no chance I will go to Directv. It's 1) keep distants with E*, 2) replace my 508s with dual tuner DVRs, or 3) go to cable.

Good luck with that, E* is pretty tough with their contracts.

In addition, I believe somewhere it states that they have the right to change programming at their discretion. Vague statement, but I guess they could give you the TVGC and be in agreement with the contract.:D

Gee, think of the money Dish could've saved (even at the minimum wage they pay their attorneys) if they'd known earlier that 164 out of every 199 subs wouldn't defect to "D" because of this. Oh well, at least they know now. Geesh.:rolleyes:

I too would like to see a poll of people that have no choice. I live in a rural area in PA that cannot receive over the air signals and locals are not currently offered (and I don't think they ever will be). Hell, I don't even have cable available. My only choice for the networks is distant networks. If Dish has to shut off all distants I will have no choice but to change to Direct. I was at least hoping that if they had to turn them off they would be able to offer the distants in HD. I have been wanting to upgrade to HD but have been holding off to see what happens. I don't want to get tied into a contract if I can't get the networks.

Nope. If I could get the superstations with D* I might but if not I wouldn't switch. The superstations won't be lost with the distant networks will they? Or will they?

I will at least investigate them. I have been okay with Dish PQ. My neighbor has D* and their picture looks worse then mine. But if I can't watch the National feeds then I might not have Sat at all.
I hate local ads!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts