would you like local channels by satellite on Voom?

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
would you like your local TV networks on Voom, just as DirecTV and Dish Network offer? Or do you think its just a waste of space that could used for better programming such as more HD? :)
~have anything relating to this issue you would like to bring up? please tell us about it below!

PLEASE VOTE NOW! :D

Yes, seeing as how I'm having trouble getting all the OTA channels to come in and I'm only 12 miles from the towers.

NO. NO. NO. OTA works great for me - especially considering that my OTA setup seems to be more stable during thunderstorms than Voom.

If they can provide the national feeds to those who can't get them OTA, I think that's ok - there will be plenty of space come October. But NOT the LIL's or whatever like D* does - ESPECIALLY if they're not going to be in HD.

deArgila said:
NO. NO. NO. OTA works great for me - especially considering that my OTA setup seems to be more stable during thunderstorms than Voom.

If they can provide the national feeds to those who can't get them OTA, I think that's ok - there will be plenty of space come October. But NOT the LIL's or whatever like D* does.

Ditto.
Providing LIL in SD is pointless for HDTV owners, which is why I never subscribed to locals when I had D* -- I used an antenna to pull them in, just like with Voom.
providing LIL in HD would be cool, in theory, for those who have trouble getting OTA reception, but it would consume an enormous amount of bandwidth, and I can't see enough justification for it. In fact, my free OTA is stable enough that I probably would not pay an extra $5 or whatever to get locals in HD if they were available. OTA as a backup for heavy rainstorms is another plus.
Best solution: local broadcasters and antenna manufacturers come up with solutions that allow everyone to get good local reception OTA.

I actually would like to see them, however, the capacity in which I would them them is not available due to restrictions for various reasons.

If they did have locals, I would not be looking for LIL, I would request a national feed only for the 4 major networks being CBS, ABC, NBC & FOX. Could be east or west and I would not care.

Other than that, I agree LIL is a bad idea and a complete waste of bandwidth. Besides OTA is a 1st generation signal, not a 3 or 5 time rehashed, amplified signal ... quality built in.

CBS-HD on D* and E* are restricted by the following (it is not available to everyone). So people that do not qualify should not vote on this one. The same will apply with Fox once they go HD. D* and E* only carry CBS-HD right now. BTW, this was taken from the Dish Network Site

QUALIFICATION METHOD #1
You must live in one of the 17 market areas served by stations owned and operated by the CBS corporation. Owned and operated stations are commonly referred to as O&O stations. (O&O stations serve only 35% of the country. Hence, most areas in the country are served by stations which carry CBS programming, but are owned by independent companies. These are known as affiliates.)

The 17 markets served by CBS O&O stations are: Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Marquette, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and Green Bay.
AND
You must not be in range to receive the signals of a CBS affiliate from a nearby city. For instance many people in Baltimore (an O&O station market) are in range of the Washington DC CBS affiliate. These Baltimore residents cannot receive the HD feed without a waiver from the Washington DC CBS affiliate. The logic behind this is that the owners of the affiliate station do not wish to lose viewers to the New York or LA CBS station, generally a loss of viewers leads to a loss of ad revenue for the station.

Importantly, it is possible to get a waiver from the affiliate station allowing you receive a distant CBS feed. Today, CBS is attempting to get blanket waivers for the HD feed for all customers affected by these neighboring affiliate stations. If this effort is not successful, we will seek to get individual CBS waivers for individual customers upon request. Unfortunately, we do not have the ability to compel affiliate stations to grant waivers. Waivers are granted at the affiliate station's discretion, which is beyond our control. Please be assured that we are working hard with CBS in an effort to procure affiliate waivers.
AND
You must subscribe to any one our distant or local network packages. If you do, the CBS-HD feed will be added at no extra charge.

QUALIFICATION METHOD #2
You must live in an area that does not receive the broadcasts of local stations in any market area (a so called "White Area")

You must subscribe to any one our distant network packages (these include: Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, New York, and Los Angeles). If you do, the CBS-HD feed will be added at no extra charge.

Note: NFL games on your HD network feed are subject to blackouts according to league restrictions.

YES bring it on!! :lick We are too far from San Francisco. No OTA here.

Just send HD feeds from the networks - especially UPN and PBS. Don't bother with SD channels.

Then we could dump our crummy local cable. :bow I would rather pay the $18/mo for locals to VOOM.

[And I think we qualify according to the requirements posted by Sean.]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)