Would you like your "local forcast on the 8's" from The Weather Channel?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
I hear people complain about this topic all the time. they say cable is the only way to get important local weather updates from The Weather Channel on the 8's of every hour. DirecTV had the closest thing to it, with interactive weather on demand. but they discontined that service with Wink Communications. as always I like to hear what you think, is this really possible for DirecTV to do again, but in the automatic format like cable uses? please post any comments below. :)

PLEASE VOTE! :D

mini1 said:
I hear people complain about this topic all the time. they say cable is the only way to get important local weather updates from The Weather Channel on the 8's of every hour. DirecTV had the closest thing to it, with interactive weather on demand. but they discontined that service with Wink Communications. as always I like to hear what you think, is this really possible for DirecTV to do again, but in the automatic format like cable uses? please post any comments below. :)

PLEASE VOTE! :D
Dish also has Instant Weather at there Dish home page from Accu weather.com I found that Both services Weather Channel and Accuweather
arn't very accurate? when forecasting weather no more then the local weather forecasts in the paper or news...

I downloaded that Desktop weather from the Weatherchannel.com and during severe weather leave my laptop running for weather updates only I have to hope Cable doesn't go out during the storm..

I also own a weather radio radio but found it to disturbing while watching DVD's or Sat. but use it as a back up if I loose Sat. and cable and don't care to watch off-air Network channels..

Yes, I'd like to see something implemented at least on the PVR platform, where the data can be stored. It doesn't need to be anything fancy (they can drop the graphics, the radar and the voice over) but just raw text to keep it simple. What they should do though before this is implement an emergency notification system to let you know of watches and warnings.

They could have a channel for every state listing the watches and warnings or use that in the interactive application but this would have to be updated constantly in which I would think that Dish Network would have a problem with doing themselves unless the data got transmitted directly from the National Weather Service or something.

I would love to see this happen but wouldn't that require a lot of bandwidth as they would need the feed that every cable company has?

come on everyone! we need your vote! if you haven't voted yet this is your chance. vote now!

Naw, I'd prefer to have the weather forecast on the 5's. It's easier to remember. Or on the 20's. 8 is not a good number.

Interactive Weather Channel

I loved DirecTV's Interactive weather channel. I was hoping that they could have come up with a new interactive platform by now, or would it require new equipment? I also miss the interactive Music Choice Channels.

Tvlman said:
Naw, I'd prefer to have the weather forecast on the 5's. It's easier to remember. Or on the 20's. 8 is not a good number.
couldn't possibly happen unless The Weather Channel changed it broadcast and all the cable companies changed there systems to input the local weather at the 5's or 10s or 20's.

PLEASE VOTE! :)

This was my BIGGEST gripe about moving to satellite over 3 years ago. I would still like it, but now that I have TiVo, I just set a short recording every morning when my local news has the daily forecast and watch that when I get out of the shower.

I really dont pay much attention to the weather channel, perhaps if there was a way for them to show local, or even state wide on the 8's I might...but I live in NM it is the 5th largest state so It might be 102 here(trust me it is) and in the 70's near the Colorado border :) I just use weather underground or yahoo weather, or get my local info from the Alb. stations websites.

Comparing cable and DTV regarding local forecasts: On cable they really do give you your local weather per zipcode. On DTV it's only regional, not specific enough.

The answer is Weather STAR: http://www.weather.com/aboutus/television/star.html

The C3-13 transponder on C-Band which carries Weather Channel to cable companies and DBS providers carries the embedded local info. TWC gives headends that carry TWC the WeatherSTAR decoder which decodes the info pertaining to that area and displays it on the 8s.

If DirecTV or Dish Network were to put a WeatherSTAR device in their recievers based on billing zip codes or user preference, this would be the solution you may be asking for.

How about allowing the consumers to at least be given the option to purchase the Weather Star receiver to pick up the local weather information. Is there no such device that would allow someone to pick up this feed? If so how much and where?

I would like to see it happen...but then again I really dont need it. The Weather Ch in the event of any kind of sever weather will show your area and what is happening in it pretty fast. I rather some more HD ch's.

Between the internet, NOAA Weather Radio (I have a SAME-decoding receiver so I can tune it for only my counties' warnings - nice feature so you can sleep at night and avoid warnings not for you) and monitoring the amateur radio 2m WX net, I don't find myself depending on TV for any critical weather info.

aqela said:
The answer is Weather STAR: http://www.weather.com/aboutus/television/star.html

The C3-13 transponder on C-Band which carries Weather Channel to cable companies and DBS providers carries the embedded local info. TWC gives headends that carry TWC the WeatherSTAR decoder which decodes the info pertaining to that area and displays it on the 8s.

If DirecTV or Dish Network were to put a WeatherSTAR device in their recievers based on billing zip codes or user preference, this would be the solution you may be asking for.
this is actully one of the best solutions I have heard. the only problem is that I bet these "custom" decoders cost about $1,000 each. maybe not? does anyone know?

PLEASE VOTE!

I can't find much on the decoders themself. no info as to who makes them or how much they cost. does anyone know?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts