Votes: 21 7.1%
  • I would only buy a Dish branded drive

Votes: 20 6.8%
  • I would only pay a monthly fee

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • I would not pay for this

Votes: 246 83.7%

• Total voters
Why make such poor assumptions on how things will work before they even announce how it will?

Your basically setting permission for dish to do this

Why make such poor assumptions on how things will work before they even announce how it will?

Your basically setting permission for dish to do this

Well it is just my opinion, and the poll reflects just what the customer wants. I would call it market research. Nothing is for free nowadays, and Dish is no exception. They won't develop this software, which is an investment, and then give it away.

So far 6 out of 8 would not wanna pay for it. I might buy a Dish drive, if the price is resonable AND it's usable for a PC also, because I was thinking about getting a USB drive anyways.

As a DISH Network dealer I would be in favor of a DISH Branded Drive, and have the DVR's software written only to accecpt DISH branded external drives.

I think the drives should be available for purchase through a local retailer, in addition there should be a rental option available through DISH.

Instead of USB, I think they should have Eithernet Drives and utilize the Eithernet port on the back of the receivers so the hard drive can be located in another room away from the receiver.

Finally, they should write software for the 211 so it will accecpt an external drive so if the customer wanted to upgrade to DVR all they would need is a new remote control and an external drive!

Same here, thats what I was thinking when I saw the thread title....HELL NO!!!!!

Dear Charlie:

Do I want external storage for my 622? You bet!

How bad do I want it? BAD, real bad.

Am I willing to pay a fee for it? Not a chance.

The fees for every little thing under the sun are out of control. A programming charge I can understand (for a programming package). And a hardware charge I can understand - although only for a leased unit or for additional units on the account. But don't misunderstand me - I may understand the HW charge, but I don't like it. All the other fees are pure garbage.

Careful, Mr. Ergen! Right now I am only complaining. It won't take much for me to vote with my wallet (and feet).

Red

Does cable work with ANY USB drives?
All the drives I've seen are SATA (using SARA or Passport software), but it's the same principal...external storage support using inexpensive COTS products. Personnaly speaking, I don't see why cable doesn't support Firewire hard drives since they are required to support active firewire interfaces on their set-top-boxes.

Anyway, Tiger Direct currently lists 201 External USB/Firewire drives on their website. I cannot imagine the uproar should E* not freely support these devices. What a selling point! Here's a better selling point...support external USB storage on the ViP211 - just make the subscriber pay the $5.98 DVR fee. I'm not sure if this is technically possible, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=136&

I read the retailer chat recap, they didn't say anything about having to buy the ext hard drive; they hinted about how to "sell" it on the Tech Chat. Am I missing something here - is there information that they are definitely going to force us to buy a dish branded hard drive?

No way I am giving *E another dime, I allready pay enough for the service. Besides I already have a 300GB USB drive. Charlie, FIOS Looks good!!!!

Actually, the more I think about it, it just wouldn't be that hard to use my DVD burner and the 721 or 508. I'll just "auto tune" to the program and pick it off the outputs by timer. This could take over most or all of the SD with little loss of quality. Then I could play it back on any of 4 TVs in the house. I certainly have plenty of RW and RAM disks.

The USB external storage could be convenient, but I'm not so sure it's worth spending a lot of dollars on anymore. The alternative is setting 2 timers vice one. Of course, I'll have to be careful not to overload the ViP622 with too many HD recordings. And I'd lose the 30 second skip ahead button. It's the usual dollars versus convenience tradeoff. I certainly would not pay a monthly fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)