Would you recomend VOOM?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Bluebull32

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Orlando, FL
I didnt want to post this in the VOOM thread, because I'm sure everyone there would recomend it. I currently only have the older HD pack with and an 811 reciever. I am reluctant to upgrade to the new reciever and the metalic HD-pack, because the VOOM channels dont seem very useful, and there's no telling when HD locals will be available in Orlando. I also don't find UniversalHD to be something I want, as I already have enough Law & Order in fake HD from TNT, thanks. Can anyone tell me how the content of the VOOM channels stacks up to Discovery, HDNet, and HDNet Movies?

Nope....nothing but repeats. If you'd like, get it for one month and then cancel, you would have seen everything by then anyway.

It's sad for me. I want these channels and would have a bill around $75 a month, but from 7PM-1AM primetime I'm only watching OTA. I only use my subscribed channels when I'm bored and for special stuff on saturday and when sports are on epsn/2 that I wanna watch

Programming preferences are quite personal...Voom is loved by many but doesn't fit my programming needs. I resisted taking Voom just for HD's sake until a week ago. I purchased a 411 in January to tide me over til the 622 is available and signed up for Voom before the 1 February changes to see what I was missing. It has only taken one week to realize the quantity of material is very limited and the quality of programs does not come close to the five channels offered in the $9.95 pack (IMHO). So now, if Voom does not interest you, the price goes from $9.95 to $29.95 for two new other channels. Hmmm, thank goodness for excellent OTA HD reception!

StevenD said:
Nope....nothing but repeats. If you'd like, get it for one month and then cancel, you would have seen everything by then anyway.

I was going to say the exact same thing!!! Maybe 2 months if you have a life:)

Unfortunately, I jumped in head-over-heels for the full boat of HD. New to HDTV and saw the only way to expereince all this HD content was subscribe, in addition to OTA stuff.

So, my analysis after 3 weeks and a couple of days with the "new' Universal HD, ESPN2HD, and 5 more Voom? HOW TO I GET OUT OF THIS PACKAGE?

I was blown away that on one channel - GAME?? there is actually live 'sports style commentary' complete with bravos and quasi excited yelling of a players move of some guys playing a stupid video game and wasting bandwidth for this???? Crap I'd rather watch the home shopping channel in HD. Who watches this pathetic stuff?

I do like RAGE and the Concerts and some of Discovery's stuff. Beyond that, it's gotta be a pretty boring evening to channel suft the rest.

I'm not to crazy about most of the Voom channels but I LOVE MonstersHD. While for the last few months it has been nothing but repeats, in recent days it seems they are adding programming.

I'm still waiting for Discovery, History, A&E to show up in HD. There are some cool shows on Discovery Theater, but I wish they showed their regular programs as well.

It's ok. Equaitor has some good stuff like Discovery & Smart Travels (even though PBS has this).
A few good concerts on RAVE, too bad there's no more new content on that channel.
RUSH some good extreme sport stuff. That's really the only reason I suscribe. Sometimes some Surfing in HD, that's really all I want. MORE SURFING!!!

I feel like I am in the same boat, to go from my 811 that I own, and the $10 HD pack would cost another $10 plus $6 for the lease fee. So to pay another $16 a month for voom seems hardly a deal.

For me I can't get anything OTA so getting the other locals for $16 might be worth it but I am not yet convinced.

I have had voom for several months. I can remember watching Rave for about 2 hours the night I got it. It was cliff Diving and Extreme motocross. If you get voom today you can still watch these same to exact shows on there. I haven't watched 30 minutes of voom since then. If you will watch anything as long as it in in HD, get it, but if you would rather spend your TV time watching good content, I would not recommend it. IMO... Dish is not the leader in HD just becuase they currently offer more HD channels.. I'm more for quality then quantity.

I like the VOOM package a lot. I like the movies on Film Fest and Monsters, I've enjoyed several programs from Rave, Equator, and Gallery. I'd like to pick up the extra 5 channels (a couple in there that I'd like to have) but Dish made sure I would have to wait 2-3 months to do so.

I get all of the networks in HD via OTA, but probably watch 15-20 times as much VOOM as networks.

For me, it has been a great bargain at $5/month.

eh, voom does repeat too much.. Rave needs to have more variety in the music they play. As a hardcore/metal lover, Rave doesnt have much to offer.. Occasionally they have Dream Theater live in japan on there, which is the closest thing to modern rock. but i have the dvd so its not that important. Rush has some good stuff on there when theyre not repeating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)