WOW. How Much Faster is the Cell

I don't disagree with you. The PS3 has better numbers than the 360 coming out of the gate. The only question that I have is do we really need that much power? It reminds me of someone who goes out and buys a top of the line computer and all he uses it for is to surf the internet and check e-mail. He could have gotten a mid or bottom of the line system for one or two thousand less and been just as happy with the performance... I just don't see any games out there that are really going to push the system enough to tell a difference between the PS3 and the 360. At least not now anyway. Maybe/ probably down the line as the game developers learn how to get the most out of the PS3 that will change... So I will wait until that point when I see a difference between the two because I do not see it now.

I'm positive game companies will try to push the system's limits at least into the second year. Although XBOX probably wasn't pushed to its limits (except for its Half-Life and Doom3 ports), PS2 was pretty much pushed to its limits producing excellent visuals even into its last days now. XBOX often received carbon-copy ports when we knew it was possible for it to do much more. PS3 will most likely not have that problem because of Sony's in-house software development and the fact that many of its titles will be exclusive. Still, I think there's a lot to do with the 360 and it hasn't been pushed to its limits either. Right now though, some of the titles coming out for PS3 look sharp and detailed enough to be CGI
even though they are real-time renders. Only Assassin's Creed for 360 looks that good IMO.

Uhhh, not again... all these lame number-waving charts from Sony PR have been discussed and discredited or turned out to be insufficient - ie graphics chip is more advanced on 360, you have more memory on 360 etc - to claim any kind of superiority.
These things have been all over the technical/3D forums during the past year, pal.

oh goody look ma another lets see who can piss farther contest!!!! (Nothing against people on this forum, but in this area of 360 vs ps3, I only respect people who put up stuff with facts and not just say, well your full of it this system is better!)

oh goody look ma another lets see who can piss farther contest!!!! (Nothing against people on this forum, but in this area of 360 vs ps3, I only respect people who put up stuff with facts and not just say, well your full of it this system is better!)

You should know from my previous posts that I love the 360. I am not saying the PS3 is better, but I certainly think it will be. I only stated that T2k was full of himself b/c it is true. He has a stuck up attitude, flaunts like he knows everything and no one else can be right. God forbid I make a statement that is entirely accurate, and I will still be bashed in some way. If someone makes a post about Blu-ray he bashes it NO MATTER WHAT IT IS ABOUT. He simply hates the technology, but posts over and over about it. Dude, I get you hate it, go do something better with your time. Loves the spin game as well.

For your respect statement, I could care less if you respect me. It's not hurting me at all. I get a laugh at it that someone online would care enough to not respect me, much the same way I'd think T2k loves getting under my skin, b/c he does. He just goes on and on and on like he's the freaking God of the technology world. Like nothing ever changes. LOOK AT HISTORY PEOPLE, or as John Kerry would a\say, "You'll end up in Iraq."

I'm spending too much time in the forum trying to bash into some brains that new technology is not a bad thing. Since no one else on this planet has an open mind, you guys just bash it out between yourselves. I hate to see this forum go to the sh*t hole having only partisan support of one console/format, but it will. Especially when the majority of posts are bashing Sony in some way shape or form. So you guys have your fun with this, I'll lurk around and maybe give a post every now and then, but nothing big. I'll sit back and watch the most hilarious posts of T2k bashing something without providing any evidence. All I can say is at least I did give you a chart. Till then, peace, and get that "education" guys!!!:):):)

Even if the Cell processor design is "technically"/"Mathematically" faster then the XBOX360 processing core...

It still boils down to the Development SDK, Game Developers, and Application Developers.

You can have the fastest hardware in the world, but iimproperly coded programs can result in the slowest things in the world.... the hardware will compensate.... but you could possible end up having Better performance , on a properly coded application, on a system with "technicaly" slower hardware.

I'm spending too much time in the forum trying to bash into some brains that new technology is not a bad thing. Since no one else on this planet has an open mind, you guys just bash it out between yourselves. I hate to see this forum go to the sh*t hole having only partisan support of one console/format, but it will. Especially when the majority of posts are bashing Sony in some way shape or form. So you guys have your fun with this, I'll lurk around and maybe give a post every now and then, but nothing big. I'll sit back and watch the most hilarious posts of T2k bashing something without providing any evidence. All I can say is at least I did give you a chart. Till then, peace, and get that "education" guys!!!:):):)

It's a fact that you and Joe are the same lazy type (khm, should I say American students?) and don't want to look up things and learn on your own, yes.

Even if the Cell processor design is "technically"/"Mathematically" faster then the XBOX360 processing core...

It still boils down to the Development SDK, Game Developers, and Application Developers.

You can have the fastest hardware in the world, but iimproperly coded programs can result in the slowest things in the world.... the hardware will compensate.... but you could possible end up having Better performance , on a properly coded application, on a system with "technicaly" slower hardware.

Let alone on a system which has embedded memory in its GPU with bandwidth ~10x times higher, paired with a unfied memory architecture, a great dev kit etc... so far every single developer admitted that Cell is a bitch to code but 360 is nice and smooth, requires fraction of the Cell coding time to achieve the same results.

You should know from my previous posts that I love the 360. I am not saying the PS3 is better, but I certainly think it will be. I only stated that T2k was full of himself b/c it is true. He has a stuck up attitude, flaunts like he knows everything and no one else can be right. God forbid I make a statement that is entirely accurate, and I will still be bashed in some way. If someone makes a post about Blu-ray he bashes it NO MATTER WHAT IT IS ABOUT. He simply hates the technology, but posts over and over about it. Dude, I get you hate it, go do something better with your time. Loves the spin game as well.

For your respect statement, I could care less if you respect me. It's not hurting me at all. I get a laugh at it that someone online would care enough to not respect me, much the same way I'd think T2k loves getting under my skin, b/c he does. He just goes on and on and on like he's the freaking God of the technology world. Like nothing ever changes. LOOK AT HISTORY PEOPLE, or as John Kerry would a\say, "You'll end up in Iraq."
my post had nothing to do with you...I guess I just cant wait till the ps3 is released that way we can get over all this bullcrap.....again I put that about this forum because while there is a little here....it was aimed more at the sony, microsoft, and gameinformer people who just go back and forth without really putting up facts, for the most part you and t2k have at least quoted some facts.

Now for those who doubt the power of the CELL please name me one XBOX360 game with completely deformable environments please? ANY TAKERS? After all there are second generation titles coming out on the 360 so there has got to be one, right?

PLUUUZZZZE, name me one game that has as much deformable environments as Motorstorm? All that work is being done by the CELL chip not the RSX chip. And this from a first release title. What will the programmers be doing in two years with the CELL?

Last edited by a moderator:
As a side note, as I have said many times the GPU in the 360 has better numbers than the PS3 and the Cell has better numbers than the 360. This has been reported by just about every magazine covering consoles.

As for memory, yes the 360 has 512k that is available to the 360 CPU and GPU -- they share that memory. The PS3 CPU has 256k and the GPU has 256k (which equals 512k the last I check) but they do not share so the 360 here has the advantage or maybe not? Reason here is that while the 360's CPU and GPU share that memory both use only one buss accesss while the PS3's CPU and GPU have their own buss access so the PS3 in this respect might be faster especially when the CELL is doing alot of the graphic work.

We already know that the 360 will do more textures and the PS3 can produce a higher colour bit rate, refresh rate and deeper colour palete along with complete deformable enviornments on the fly. Which do you prefer -- what do the programmers do with the hardware -- what kind of game mechanics will we see.

In the end, both are great machines but one does not neccessarily hold the ground over the other. The programmers and gamers will decide that over the next two years.

Hey Vurbano, do I get to pick my own colours? Man, me and T2k, duking it out. Hey, Tk2, maybe when you buy your PS3 we can get it on over the internet in Knockout or hey maybe Tekken -- that'll rock. Since I am an old man do I get some extra points or something?:D

Hey Vurbano, do I get to pick my own colours? Man, me and T2k, duking it out. Hey, Tk2, maybe when you buy your PS3 we can get it on over the internet in Knockout or hey maybe Tekken -- that'll rock. Since I am an old man do I get some extra points or something?:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)