wow, mastec ct is now union, ibew local 488

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Where in CT are you?

umm, didn't see that coming

They deserve what they get. But when the Mastec employees strike....and it will happen..........what stops Directv from just routing tech from out of the area or setting another contractor operations through their existing Home Service Provider?

MASTEC deserves what it gets but I don't see it working. They could just walk away from the satellite business and not notice it....they do many other things.

Joe

It's prolly in the contract they can't strike. Our teamsters contract doesn't allow us to strike. I don't know what mastec pays but for us it's a pretty pointless situation for us to belong to a union

It's prolly in the contract they can't strike. Our teamsters contract doesn't allow us to strike. I don't know what mastec pays but for us it's a pretty pointless situation for us to belong to a union
Damn!

A union that can't strike? That is the one thing unions have to protect (force) their position with management. So there is nothing to stop Directv or, actually their contractor from ..........paying for time worked on site with a customer ONLY, insisting employees not submit time cards that reflect overtime, running mandatory meetings & load time before passing the time clock; all the things that make employees consider a union?

What would happen if the workers refused to pay union dues until someone went down the hall with a baseball bat and addressed problems?

Joe

Damn!

A union that can't strike? That is the one thing unions have to protect (force) their position with management. So there is nothing to stop Directv or, actually their contractor from ..........paying for time worked on site with a customer ONLY, insisting employees not submit time cards that reflect overtime, running mandatory meetings & load time before passing the time clock; all the things that make employees consider a union?

What would happen if the workers refused to pay union dues until someone went down the hall with a baseball bat and addressed problems?

Joe

I was a member and officer in a union for 28 years that couldn't strike. We had plenty of clout.

I was a member and officer in a union for 28 years that couldn't strike. We had plenty of clout.
Hey Chip,

I always thought the unions could be more like the older guilds that trained and provided competent workers. As such it was the union shop steward who would interact with management. Since both sides gained from getting things done both would cooperate to produce profitable work. I just do not see any of that in the satellite installation trades. Both sides, in my opinion, see a limited amount of money on the table and both sides do their best to take it all.

Joe

Hey Chip,

I always thought the unions could be more like the older guilds that trained and provided competent workers. As such it was the union shop steward who would interact with management. Since both sides gained from getting things done both would cooperate to produce profitable work. I just do not see any of that in the satellite installation trades. Both sides, in my opinion, see a limited amount of money on the table and both sides do their best to take it all.

Joe

Unfortunately Joe, that's become the way of the business world, with or without unions.

Damn!

Joe
ibew local 488 isn't taking any union dues until a contract is signed, that might not be ever, new york yongers yesterday i hear laid all in house off, and subed all work cuz the company found a union card, they feel unions to be a thorn in there as?.

The bottom line is Mastec could not survive without contractors. Mastec, like so many cable companies use contractors that are the life blood that keeps these companies moving. In most cases company people including Mastec are just maintenance & uphold a certain image. Again if contractors were not there these people would not exist. The union could be a good thing & trickle down from there, time will tell.

Mastec and the union are never going to agree on a contract
Trust there was alot if negativity during whole campaign about if we voted yes they were not going to agree on anything

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)