Wreck-It Ralph

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Just saw the movie, and I have to say this is a GREAT movie.

First off, if you're expecting just a big videogame tribute, you're going to be sorely disappointed. While this game has been marketed as Toy Story meets videogames, it really just uses the world of videogames as a setting for the story, which is very well presented and well paced, complimented by a great assortment of characters. John C. Reilly plays Ralph very well, Sarah Silverman is a breakout as the spunky but lovable Vanellope, Jack McBrayer is perfect for the role of the "Can do no wrong" Felix Fix It Jr, and Jane Lynch shines by playing a parody of the female modern shooter character better and more realistically than 100% of all female modern shooter characters. The story has a good message along with an interesting subplot that I won't spoil but adds much to the overall story in the end. While the movie is not simply a tribute to videogames there are quite a few references and little shout outs that the 30 somethings of my gaming generation will recognize and probably laugh at while the kiddies stare blankly at them. It would have been nice for them to integrate more popular videogame characters in the story, but their omission isn't a big deal, as it makes it a good movie for people who don't know or care about any of the characters that are being referenced.

Overall I loved Wreck-It Ralph. I hesitate to call it a true "Videogame movie" as it isn't based on any particular videogame, but if we are going to put it in that same group then it beats all other such movies by far, although to be fair that isn't a major accomplishment. It's a good movie for kids and parents alike. It may not be a Pixar movie, but it can be easy to confuse it as being one. Overall I give it an A-. See it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)