Status
Not open for further replies.

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
I agree with the supply & demand economics at play BUT come on now; are you kidding me? I think this kind of stuff is totally made up! She must have about a 10,000 sqft house set at about 90° - I have stayed a few winters in FL, AZ, SoCal, TX, MO and TN and even in MO I never had that kind of price from electric heat bill in a 2750sqft home. In AZ and SoCal we had pools with heaters to swim near year-round and stayed under this cost and this is just about heating her HOME.

Heating costs seen jumping this winter - Yahoo! News

Penny Taylor, who spent about $350 a month last winter to heat her Sarasota, Fla., home with electric heat, blanched when she heard about Tuesday's price forecast from the Energy Department.

"I think we're going to have to get a lot of blankets, because there's no way we'll be able to afford to run the heat," she said.

The heating system is actually 10,000 watts of tanning lights so she can keep her year round bronze.

In florida the only heating unit most people have is a very inefficent coil in their a/c unit.. when switched to heat it the coil heats up and air blows it throughout the house.. when it was in the 40-50's (mind you that happens for like up to a 7 days a year in florida.. I turned my heat on and it never got above 60's running all day..

with a 2000sqft house my ac bill is in the upper 200's lower 300's normally.

just an FYI

Well the link didn't work for me but I will chime in on this. My electric bill in the winter is $150-$200/month. The heating unit down here SUCK just like VinceT3 said. Also most home down here dont have any insulation in the walls, and most walls are made of concrete block. I only have a 1200 sq ft house. I also keep my t-stat at about 68 in the winter, and even at that the heater is on almost 24/7 because the heat that comes out of the vents SUCK!!!! My a/c - heater unit is only 4 years old.

Similar to what my experiences with construction and unit type are/were in CA and AZ, but leads to my exact point; that is an efficiency issue not price issue for the energy; right? So those things can either be repaired/adjusted or you can avoid them when shopping for a home.

Well I guess you could get a more efficient unit but the problem with that is most homes down here run everything on electric. There isn't much on natural gas except maybe in the newer developments in the larger cities or have propane installed. Other then that most electric units SUCK when it comes to the electric bill.

In florida the only heating unit most people have is a very inefficent coil in their a/c unit.. when switched to heat it the coil heats up and air blows it throughout the house.. when it was in the 40-50's (mind you that happens for like up to a 7 days a year in florida.. I turned my heat on and it never got above 60's running all day..

with a 2000sqft house my ac bill is in the upper 200's lower 300's normally.

just an FYI
Yikes!

A heat pump unit isn’t much more expensive than one that’s A/C only. I’m amazed that they aren’t the norm, particularly in Florida’s mild climate.

You’re not talking about window units, are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)