WTVD 11 Audio Blips Fixed...we think

Pakbackr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
After months of trying to get DISH to fix the audio blip issues with recorded (or paused) shows on WTVD 11 ABC in Raleigh, and them saying its a hardware problem...then a software problem...and still no fix. All it took to fix the problem was an email to the station's lead engineer (the technical contact on their "Contact Us" page on the web). I described the problem, and the guy replied back promptly that my description of the problem matched what he had heard from DISH exactly...and then said "in order to try something, I will switch our signal to an older encoder tonight". I don't know what that means, but it seems to have worked. I paused live HD GMA this morning and no sound blips!!!!!

I tested some recorded shows from ABC 11, and they still had the sound blips...but that makes sense since they would have been broadcasted and recorded with a different encoder.

Lets keep our fingers crossed and hopefully the problem is fixed for good now.

To any of you experiencing the same issue in your area, I highly recommend you take matters into your own hands and contact your station directly. Maybe we can collectively do something that DISH couldn't!

Just got back in town from a holiday bowl trip and noticed the blips are back. I contacted the station's engineer and asked if they had switched encoder back and he said no. Said he is baffled now and will need to contact DISH engineers when he gets back in the office next Monday. Seems like our joy was premature :(

I am going to post this on several related threads for maximum visibility.

After getting fed up with waiting for the L615 upgrade to fix the audio blips problem we've experienced with recorded and paused shows off our local ABC station (WTVD 11 in Raleigh, NC), I finally called DISH's tech support line on Saturday, January 10th and asked to speak to a 'advanced level technician'. My issues (and their actions to correct) have been well captured by DISH in their system...kudos to them for this! It took a while to get to an advanced level tech, but I explained that I have been having the problem for over three months, that we've read from many on such forums as this that the L615 corrects the problem, and that for some reason we in central NC still haven't gotten the latest software upgrade. The tech said DISH is aware of the problem, and she would try to force the software upgrade to my 622. It didn't work immediately, so she said she would pass along the request to engineering to force the download during one of my regular nightly updates (mine are set at 3 am). She said give it at least two business days for them to act on it. Well, I checked this am, and I indeed have the latest software update...L616 in fact!

Best of all, I have checked several ABC recordings which I know had the audio blips, and all problems appear to be fixed now!!!! It may be too early for jumping up and down, but this seems to be a step in the right direction.

My message to any of my Raleigh area comrades suffering still from this audio issue; call DISH and ask for an advanced or level 2 tech and explain the situation, asking them to force a software update to you. And good luck on your journey!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts