WVGN & Fortec .4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sikma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Dish Farm Up North
Has anyone picked up WVGN using a Fortec .4 and a P* dish. I haven't aimed at AMC4 for quite some time and still haven't installed my new .4 yet. I want to make sure it is worth moving my bucket of cement again to pick up AMC4.

I use a .84 Primestar dish and the lnb that came with it for AMC 4. WVGN is a tough signal to get. I can't get it on a lnb that has 2 outputs. Only on a lnb that has one output. To me, it's the toughest signal to currently get on a satellite meant for the US/in the US footprint.

All I've ever tried is the original P* lnb that still on one of my 3 P* dishes. From what I've heard the old P* lnb's were about .7 noise. That's why I've bought 2 Fortec .4's but haven't had time to mount them yet. Off topic: Sadoun is a great company!

I have a 40"x30" P* dish, and I can get WVGN. I could never get even a whiff of it with my old 80cm dish. When I upgraded to the P* I was able to get a signal somewhere in the 70's with quality around 49. That was with a .5 Fortec lnb. I recently upgraded to a Invacom quad polar, and am getting a signal in the mid 70's and quality around 60 or so. One night I was getting quality at 74. All of the signal and quality numbers are with a Fortec Lifetime Ultra receiver.

One thing I should mention is how sensitive it was with my .5 lnb. When peaking my dish for WVGN, there was literally one position where I'd get quality. In other words, I'd be nudging the dish one direction or another and would have signal but no quality. The next nudge I'd get quality, but one more nudge and no quality again. With the Invacom, there's quality for several nudges.

iammike said:
With the Invacom, there's quality for several nudges.

That is an advantage that the Invacom feedhorn design gives you. When you get a chance, try it with a 0.4 db Fortec LNBF and let us know how it performs for you.

Well, I hooked up one of my two new .4 Fortec's from Sadoun. My first experiment was to try and get the illucid WVGN on 101. I first zeroed in on the FOX Beaumont, wa-la got a 95% signal vs a 75 with my old P* lnb. But $@$^&# I couldn't even get a 'flicker' on WVGN............what gives???

sikma said:
Well, I hooked up one of my two new .4 Fortec's from Sadoun. My first experiment was to try and get the illucid WVGN on 101. I first zeroed in on the FOX Beaumont, wa-la got a 95% signal vs a 75 with my old P* lnb. But $@$^&# I couldn't even get a 'flicker' on WVGN............what gives???

It's a hard signal to get. Just to give you an example, I can pick up Fox64 at almost 99% quality and WVGN only comes in at 60% quality, this is with a 90P dish and Fortec 0.4. If I had to guess I'd have to bet that transponder is pointed farther south than the US.

I had it at one time but since making adjustments I no longer get it. Funny thing is my quality improved on everything else.

Status
Please reply by conversation.