WVUE Dish dispute

I can't speak for Scott, but my stance is that ALL networks should be low bidding the cable/satellite providers to be placed in the lowest possible tier to maximize their potential viewership and ad revenue. By low bidding, I also mean offering their signal for free or even paying for the privilege.

Let me also just say, I really don't care if locals give their signal away (or pay for it to be carried). I don't think they should be FORCED to. I also don't think providers should be FORCED to accept any price from local broadcasters though either. I think they should work together to come to an agreement the makes both of them happy (ie: compromise).
Let me make sure that my words aren't misconstrued. When I say "SHOULD be low bidding", I don't mean compulsary "should" as in FORCED by law, but "should" by normal market competition. It is clear that the telecommunications industy is not driven by free market forces, but by oligopolic holding companies working in collusion.

No I dont think they should be forced to either... but I couldn't see why ANY station wouldnt want to be on Cable or Satellite so that they increase their audience.

If they don't want to be watched there is an easier way for them to do this... there is a big switch on the transmitter and they can flip it to off. :D

No I dont think they should be forced to either... but I couldn't see why ANY station wouldnt want to be on Cable or Satellite so that they increase their audience.

If they don't want to be watched there is an easier way for them to do this... there is a big switch on the transmitter and they can flip it to off. :D
Actually it's a button. :D It's possible stations are cutting off their noses to spite their face. Again, I don't know how much money they're asking for (even for my station... I don't deal with the $$ aspect, unless it's the price of some equipment). It is possible they're asking for too much.

i just saw on fox 8 news at 5:30 they reached a deal with dish but as of yet they are not back on . i saw it on ota converter but didnt have sound on it i just saw the "dish" logo and said "deal reached" did anyone catch the story ?

I have always said that Satellite HELPS local broadcasters by bringing their signal into homes in their area which not put up an OTA antenna.

Just think if the video providers in one dma banded together and dropped the ota channels until they lowered their prices? The local channels would flip!

Just think if the video providers in one dma banded together and dropped the ota channels until they lowered their prices? The local channels would flip!
Of course, that would be dependent on the retrans agreements all coming due at the same time. Again, it's a symbiotic relationship... subscribers could (and probably would) drop their subscriptions if locals were cut out, locals would suffer SOME if they were dropped off providers. Don't forget, Neilson ratings aren't checking EVERY household. There are diary's/meters only in a limited number of households. So it's possible if Dish (for example) dropped a local out of 'xyz' market, there would only be a minor drop in ratings.

But of course Hulu is being a b!ch, I still can't watch Friday's episode of Fringe because "FOX content is not available with your DISH Network subscription." I will be chatting wish a DISH Rep, or maybe one of the lovely DIRT team members wants to fill me in on what to do now.

An agreement has been reached and WVUE will be coming back live soon. Thank you for your patience while this issue was resolved.