WWE rejects settlement from Benoit's estate..

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
Could Christ Benoit's estate, father Michael Benoit, trying to blackmail money or does the WWE have moral obligation to pay up? VERY interesting article in today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution...

The WWE balked at paying $2 million to Benoit's two surviving children from a previous marriage as "recognition of their father's contributions to the company," said Cary Ichter, the Atlanta-based attorney, who represents Michael Benoit, the father of the dead wrestler. Michael Benoit, overseeing his son's estate, has yet to sue the Connecticut-based WWE, but that appears to be just a formality. Chris Benoit murdered his wife Nancy and Daniel, their 7-year-old son, before taking his own life at the family's Fayetteville home in late June. A toxicology report showed Benoit had extremely elevated levels of testosterone in his body. There is no evidence, however, the testosterone played any role in the tragedy, said Dr. Kris Sperry, Georgia's chief medical examiner. Under the proposed settlement , the $2 million would have gone to the children of Chris Benoit's previous marriage to Martina Benoit of Edmonton, Canada. In exchange, the Benoit estate would have renounced any future claims against the WWE. Neither WWE attorney Jerry McDevitt nor Susan Zwaenepoel, the Edmonton-based attorney for Chris Benoit's children, David and Megan Benoit, returned calls seeking comment. The WWE has adamantly insisted that it had absolutely nothing to do with the Benoit tragedy

WWE rejects Benoit estate's proposed settlement | ajc.com

This is Bullsh!t.
Benoit is the bad guy here not the company he worked for.
If I killed my wife my company would pay my estate a damn penny.

But WHAT IF there was possible proof that they were liable...?

I doubt it very much. Benoit was the piece of sh*t. How many people have passed through the WWE without killing thier whole damn family? Everyone has to blame someone, but they never want to point the finger at the person that did wrong. There always has to be some big corporation that is to blame.

I doubt it very much. Benoit was the piece of sh*t. How many people have passed through the WWE without killing thier whole damn family? Everyone has to blame someone, but they never want to point the finger at the person that did wrong. There always has to be some big corporation that is to blame.

I would agree to a certain extent(just playing the devil's advocate here), but IF there is proof of concussions and the WWE DID keep sending him out to perform, don't you think they are liable in some way?

Unless there is strong proof that the company made him take the steroids or something like that then the WWE shouldn't pay a dime.

And remember it was not the steroids that was the cause of this, the only drug which was elevated in his system was Testosterone.

They examined his brain, and Chris had the brain of an 80 year old man.

Should WWE offer to help out the Benoit family, I don't think they should have to, however it would be nice if the WWE set something up for them. Up until the murders Chris was a good guy who did a lot for the company.

Its unfortunate that he snapped and did what he did. It was the saddest ordeal I can remember this year.

Should WWE just give them 2 million dollars because his family wants it? Hell no.

And remember it was not the steroids that was the cause of this, the only drug which was elevated in his system was Testosterone.

They examined his brain, and Chris had the brain of an 80 year old man.
Should WWE offer to help out the Benoit family, I don't think they should have to, however it would be nice if the WWE set something up for them. Up until the murders Chris was a good guy who did a lot for the company.

Its unfortunate that he snapped and did what he did. It was the saddest ordeal I can remember this year.

Should WWE just give them 2 million dollars because his family wants it? Hell no.

I agree, it will be very interesting WHAT they can prove as to what the WWE is POSSIBLY liable(if anything) for. Considering the major PR hits professional wrestling has taken, maybe helping the family will create a little better good will(for lack of a better term) with the WWE and the media that hounds them.

The only way the damage was found was through an autopsy. The report even said there is no way to tell about this damge unless the brain is cut open. I could be wrong though, but I am pretty sure that is what I read.
But like has been said, I do not know all the fact, just what I have read/heard from media outlets.
I guess we'll see.
My opinion though is they did not know, if they did, it would be in medical reports from his docs. If they were busted with steroid data on him, then they would have records of brain scans if it was something that was detectable. There would have to some sort of trail or record of an existing condition.

And why would they be liable? Where is the personal accountability? Salsa, read your own signature quote. Personaly, in a sad way, I'm glad that all this crap has finally risen to the top over steroids, etc. Our priorities and values in this country have sunk to a new low. Hopefully we'll all learn by others' personal trauma, tragedy and turmoil.

I agree, but there is a study they did of his brain that showed EXTENSIVE damage. Now IF..and I do me a BIG IF, the WWE kept drudging him out knowing this...then they ARE liable...and hey gotta pay!

And why would they be liable? Where is the personal accountability? Salsa, read your own signature quote. Personaly, in a sad way, I'm glad that all this crap has finally risen to the top over steroids, etc. Our priorities and values in this country have sunk to a new low. Hopefully we'll all learn by others' personal trauma, tragedy and turmoil.

'Roid rage was not considered the leading cause of what happened!! 'Roids is not the leading cause of death to every single athlete that dies early in their lives... Geez, I guess it's true that IF you say some enough times, you will believe it.:rolleyes:

Tests were conducted on Benoit's brain by Julian Bailes, the head of neurosurgery at West Virginia University, and results showed that "Benoit's brain was so severely damaged it resembled the brain of an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient." It was also shown to have an advanced form of dementia and was similar to the brains of four retired NFL players who have suffered multiple concussions, sank into depression and harmed themselves or others. Bailes and his colleagues concluded that repeated concussions can lead to dementia, which can contribute to severe behavioral problems.

Chris Benoit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ATLANTA — Pro wrestler Chris Benoit suffered brain damage from his years in the ring that could help explain why he killed his wife, son and himself, a doctor who studied Benoit's brain said Wednesday.

The analysis by doctors affiliated with the Sports Legacy Institute suggests repeated concussions could have contributed to the killings at Benoit's suburban Atlanta home.

The wrestler's father, Michael Benoit, told reporters Wednesday that he knows his son had concussions because his son told him so. But he also said he knows of no medical records or records kept by the wrestling league to support the diagnosis.

FOXNews.com - Brain Damage May Have Caused Wrestler Chris Benoit to Kill Family, Doctor Says - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

IF they knew he had these concussions and they still wanted him to perform, don't you think they could have said, "hey Chris, we need some kind of doctors clearance before you wrestle"...

I would like to see al of the doctors investigated that treat these wrestlers. Id like to see who really pays them and if there are ties to the WWE. If there are were they really acting in the patients interests or in the McMahons?

I would like to see al of the doctors investigated that treat these wrestlers. Id like to see who really pays them and if there are ties to the WWE. If there are were they really acting in the patients interests or in the McMahons?

Exactly! IF you ask an athlete after an injury...unless a limb came off, or an eye popped out....they will say they are "good to go". I am sure that the WWE has since "lost" or "displaced" those records IF they ever existed.

Exactly! IF you ask an athlete after an injury...unless a limb came off, or an eye popped out....they will say they are "good to go". I am sure that the WWE has since "lost" or "displaced" those records IF they ever existed.

You ever go to work when your sick? If you stay at work and get sicker, is your company responsible?

HE decided to stay and be a professional wrestler. No one held a gun to his head.
No one forced the steroids down his throat. He made the descion to get hit with the chairs and do the flying head butts. If he did not like how he was being used, he could have quit.
It was all his choice. He wanted to be a pro wrestler. No one dragged him into the profession. He decided to stay.

You ever go to work when your sick? If you stay at work and get sicker, is your company responsible?

HE decided to stay and be a professional wrestler. No one held a gun to his head.
No one forced the steroids down his throat. He made the descion to get hit with the chairs and do the flying head butts. If he did not like how he was being used, he could have quit.
It was all his choice. He wanted to be a pro wrestler. No one dragged him into the profession. He decided to stay.

Yeah....again, apples and oranges. At work, is taking chair shots upside the head part of YOUR responsibilities? And NO ONE drags a cop or a firefighter to become one and IF something happens at work, do THOSE departments abandon THEIR families?

Yeah....again, apples and oranges. At work, is taking chair shots upside the head part of YOUR responsibilities? And NO ONE drags a cop or a firefighter to become one and IF something happens at work, do THOSE departments abandon THEIR families?

As a matter of fact, when a cop is killed, the family does not get a winfall of money. They may get insurance money, but they do not get millions of dollars.

It is not apples and oranges. Your contention is IF he was not healthy, If he had brain damage and the WWE knew about it. IF I was sick and IF my boss knew about and I got worse because I did not go home and rest, it is not actionable against my employer.
All of this is futile since there is most likely no records that he was suffering any kind of dementia or that he was unstable. If there was, it would have been out already. His doc in Atlanta would have had records. If there was anything there it would have came out already.

As a matter of fact, when a cop is killed, the family does not get a winfall of money. They may get insurance money, but they do not get millions of dollars.

It is not apples and oranges. Your contention is IF he was not healthy, If he had brain damage and the WWE knew about it. IF I was sick and IF my boss knew about and I got worse because I did not go home and rest, it is not actionable against my employer.
All of this is futile since there is most likely no records that he was suffering any kind of dementia or that he was unstable. If there was, it would have been out already. His doc in Atlanta would have had records. If there was anything there it would have came out already.

That is exactly what I said....read post #16.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts