X-Box, Playstation, and Wii Game News

And finally (unfortunately I don't have a link but read it on Twitter) it appears that Tony Hawk's License agreement with Activision ends after this year, so it looks like this may be a disgusting attempt by the company to essentially bury the franchise before it comes up on the market, which if that's the case, Kotick can walk in front of a train.

Proof of license agreement: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/tony-hawk-signs-new-deal-with-activision/1100-2875474/

So it looks like they were just trying to cash in on the name with one more game before the agreement ended, which ALWAYS leads to good results..

Proof of license agreement: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/tony-hawk-signs-new-deal-with-activision/1100-2875474/

So it looks like they were just trying to cash in on the name with one more game before the agreement ended, which ALWAYS leads to good results..

The only reason I can see for them to intentionally put out a bad product is so they can drive value of the brand down. That way they could sign a new agreement for less money. At the same time that doesn't seem so likely. Why would you want to trash a brand you want to own? Say they do get the Tony Hawk franchise for another 10 years dirt cheap... How are they going to convince people to go out and buy Tony Hawk 6 after they dragged the brand through the dirt?

I don't think this is going to work out very well for them because this game is not going to sell copies. With all the big Fall releases coming around the corner a sh!tty Tony Hawk game isn't going to sell a ton of copies. Even if it was a great game I think it would have had a hard time selling this time of year.

Giant Bomb has a quick look up that explains most of the problems. They haven't posted it to youtube yet so I can't embed the video here. You'll have to click the link to their website if you want to see it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-tony-hawks-pro-skater-5/2300-10729/

Polygon did the same thing. They couldn't even get past the ACTIVISION screen because it kept crashing. They had to log into a GUEST account to get the game to run and then switch over. And that was just the start of their problems...

Speaking of, it looks like EA may have learned SOMETHING from the absolute abortion that was the launch of the New Sim City, which is if you have a game very similar to another, higher profile game, and the higher profile game is a complete mess, you should discount your similar game in hopes of getting a new pool of potential customers. As a result, the entire Skate series is on sale at the XBL Marketplace.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/30/9422725/ea-skate-discount-tony-hawk-pro-skater-disasterbacle

Polygon did the same thing. They couldn't even get past the ACTIVISION screen because it kept crashing. They had to log into a GUEST account to get the game to run and then switch over. And that was just the start of their problems...

Speaking of, it looks like EA may have learned SOMETHING from the absolute abortion that was the launch of the New Sim City, which is if you have a game very similar to another, higher profile game, and the higher profile game is a complete mess, you should discount your similar game in hopes of getting a new pool of potential customers. As a result, the entire Skate series is on sale at the XBL Marketplace.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/30/9422725/ea-skate-discount-tony-hawk-pro-skater-disasterbacle

This got me interested enough to check out the old Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD quick look from Giant Bomb. While that isn't supposed to be a great game either it actually seems better than THPS 5. I may finally give that a try since I grabbed it for $2.50 on Steam a long time ago.

Even talking about bad Tony Hawk gives me the urge to play Tony Hawk again. Unfortunately my PS2 and copy of THPS3 are long gone. Now that I think about it I may still have my copy of Tony Hawk American Wasteland for 360 lying around somewhere. If that ever get's added to the backwards compatibility list on Xbox One I wouldn't mind giving that a try.

I have THPS 3 that I got used for the Xbox. I could always fire that back up, although it does get annoying because I need to set my tv to 480p SD in order to play the damn thing.

I have THPS 3 that I got used for the Xbox. I could always fire that back up, although it does get annoying because I need to set my tv to 480p SD in order to play the damn thing.

Do you still have a working original Xbox lying around or is it one of the 360's supported backwards compatible games?

Xbox 360 BC. When I had the game originally I got it for the PS2 and played the hell out of it. Like I played through all the characters and even a custom one (I'll never forget you Dana, the 4'10" chubby pro skater.) Then I wanted to play it again because I had sold it and I heard the Xbox version was better because of better graphics and an added level (and it had BC) , so I picked up that one.

http://news.xbox.com/2015/09/xbox-one-lego-movie-videogame-bundle

Today's Xbox One holiday bundle announcement is the first one announced this week to feature the 500GB console at $349. This one comes with The Lego Movie video game.

I realize that they needed to have a kid friendly bundle but this seems like the worst deal of all the announcements by far. It only includes one game and the game they picked will be nearly two years old by the time kids open this up for Christmas. It came out in February of 2014 and it currently sells for $19.99 on Amazon. That isn't a sale price either. It's the regular, every day price now.

If they wanted to go with a Lego themed bundle it seems like they could have at least thrown in a couple games since they are all dirt cheap now. Lego Marvel or Lego Batman 3 should have been packed in with this bundle.

Another option would have been to skip these old games and include Lego Dimensions. The other bundles all feature at least one new game so it seems like the kids option should too. They may have had to increase the price to $400 if they went that route though since it involves a physical product.

Edit: Also, why not throw Minecraft in with this? They own it now so it would cost them nothing and it would have been a good fit with a Lego game bundle for kids.

Last edited:
Good news, everyone! Activision has announced that they are aware that the new Tony Hawk is a complete steaming broken pile of $hit and is working with the developers to try and fix them. Well now I can sleep better at night, knowing that game companies will KNOWINGLY put out completely broken games, but then just try to fix them later!

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/1/94...of-tony-hawk-5-issues-and-working-with-dev-to

Good news, everyone! Activision has announced that they are aware that the new Tony Hawk is a complete steaming broken pile of $hit and is working with the developers to try and fix them. Well now I can sleep better at night, knowing that game companies will KNOWINGLY put out completely broken games, but then just try to fix them later!

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/1/94...of-tony-hawk-5-issues-and-working-with-dev-to

I'm not saying it isn't messed up to release a buggy game and hope people pay $60 for it before they notice. To be fair, there were terrible and buggy games doing the same thing long before they could be patched. The only real difference is that now there is a small possibility that it will be fixed at some point.

Yeah but this is an especially egregious tale. I mean I'm one of the biggest critics of the Master Chief Collection and I HATE what 343 did to that, but you could at least say that the game, while buggy, still looked good and was generally functional upon release (minus multiplayer of course). Tony Hawk 5 isn't even that. When you have a patch that's bigger than the actual game, that means you didn't actually ship a completed game. I'm listening to The Podquisition right now, which has 2 game reviewers on it, and one of them mentioned that if you don't install the massive patch that came out on Day 1, all you get is a tutorial level. And I found this article corroborating that statement. And this fun tweet:

Activision claimed that it was for online support. Sorry, but online capabilities couldn't POSSIBLY encompass a bigger digital footprint than the standard game.

What Activision REALLY should have done was just delay this game. I realize time was of the essence because of the license running out but I have to imagine they could have pushed it back a month to fix the damn thing. A couple of bugs and crashes here and there are one thing. This is simply incomplete, and it's more insulting to us gamers because in most cases, we can't get a full refund when a company releases a broken thing like this. And finally, $60 for such a game is just insulting. This is like Godzilla for the PS4 insulting for such an ugly, limited game.

In much better news, Square-Enix finally saw the light and have shut down their "Augment Your Pre-order" campaign for the new Dues Ex game.

https://www.deusex.com/news/aypo-cancelled

Everyone gets all the pre-order content now. Nice! They actually did the right thing by discontinuing the program and giving everyone more than would have gotten even if the program had worked out as planned.

xbox%20one%20special%20edition%20gears%20of%20war%20bundle_hero.png

Yesterday Microsoft actually announced two Xbox One bundles. First is another Gears of War bundle but this time it comes with the fancy white 500GB console for $349.99. I've always liked the look of the special edition, white Xbox One since they first bundled it with Sunset Overdrive. Since everything else in my entertainment system is black I would probably still opt for a black console though.

The also announced their first bundle that includes a Kinect in a really long time. It's $500 and includes a Kinect, Kinect Sports Rivals, Zoo Tycoon, and Dance Central Spotlight. I take back what I said about the Lego bundle... This is the worst deal of all the bundles announced this week. I like my kinect for certain voice commands but it's not worth $150 more than the standard console and the aren't offering great games to make it a better deal. The only game I have played that actually used my Kinect was Disney Fantasia and unfortunately that isn't part of this bundle.

Today they announced their final bundle. It's the Fallout bundle with a 1TB console for $399. The bundle is a little misleading because every copy of Fallout 4 on Xbox One comes with a copy of Fallout 3 for backwards compatibility. Still, I guess both games technically come with this bundle. This is the one I would personally choose if I didn't already have an Xbox One.

xboxone_1tbconsole_fallout4_hero.png

Soon you'll be able to remap your Xbox One controller's buttons
http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/05/xbox-one-button-mapping/
Poke, for future reference please cross check this forum before you post stuff to this general thread. This was posted in the Xbox One owners thread an hour before you posted it here. And there are other instances that I could cite but I'm not looking to pile on.

And stuff like this that is console specific should be in its appropriate console thread. This thread is more for games with multi-console releases so that we don't have a bunch of smaller, eventually abandoned threads about particular games (basically the thing Scott was considering adding before we shot it down) or stories that relate to multiple consoles but don't merit there own thread. So please for future reference don't post console specific news in this thread, and for everything else please check all the other unread threads so we don't have redundant information in multiple threads. Thanks.:)

Playstation Classic Game Console w/Enhancements

PSN Network ID

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)