X-Box, Playstation, and Wii Game News

Rocket League is sponsoring the upcoming WWE PPV Backlash. They've said that it's "Just The Beginning." Whether or not this means we'll be getting WWE Themed DLC or add-ons isn't clear. According to them there's no DLC plans just yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something come up soon.

My guess is that at the very least they will do a flag pack like they did with the NBA. That and maybe some obvious things like a wrestling belt car topper. I don't know anything about wrestling but I think this kind of stuff is more likely than a new car just because I'm not sure what cars have to do with wrestling. Either way this will be one of the rare pieces of Rocket League DLC that I don't buy.

My guess is that at the very least they will do a flag pack like they did with the NBA. That and maybe some obvious things like a wrestling belt car topper. I don't know anything about wrestling but I think this kind of stuff is more likely than a new car just because I'm not sure what cars have to do with wrestling. Either way this will be one of the rare pieces of Rocket League DLC that I don't buy.
If you bought the Fallout 4 DLC Far Harbor, you may have been exposed to some other WWE stuff.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Haddock_Cove

That's subliminal WWE and I don't appreciate it.

9e0a0b0e7c76d4f4ad2b03bf30ad6787_crop_north.jpg

9e0a0b0e7c76d4f4ad2b03bf30ad6787_crop_north.jpg

Big news: IO Interactive is being dropped by Square Enix. Hopefully they can find an investor/publisher to take them in.

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/square-enix-withdraws-io-interactive-negotiating-potential-investors

This is a real bummer for me. The most recent Hitman game was my entry to the series but I really liked it. I was looking forward to the second and third seasons that they announced. This news doesn't necessarily mean those seasons aren't happening but they are definitely in jeopardy.

This also pretty much puts to bed the rumors that the Hitman team was going to make the next Tomb Raider game. I'd say there is a good chance that Marvel games are all we are going to see from Western Square Enix for the next couple years since we already know that Edios (Deus Ex) and Crystal Dynamics (Tomb Raider) are both working on Marvel stuff now.

This is a real bummer for me. The most recent Hitman game was my entry to the series but I really liked it. I was looking forward to the second and third seasons that they announced. This news doesn't necessarily mean those seasons aren't happening but they are definitely in jeopardy.

This also pretty much puts to bed the rumors that the Hitman team was going to make the next Tomb Raider game. I'd say there is a good chance that Marvel games are all we are going to see from Western Square Enix for the next couple years since we already know that Edios (Deus Ex) and Crystal Dynamics (Tomb Raider) are both working on Marvel stuff now.
I'm sure making the Hitman game episodic did it NO favors. Still not sure why the hell SE thinks that's a good sales strategy. Just because it works with an interactive narrative (Life is Strange) doesn't mean it's going to work with a stealth game with real consequences.

What makes the news a bit more of a stinger is that SE also announced that it had record high net sales in 2016.

http://kotaku.com/square-enix-had-record-high-sales-last-year-1795117503

I'm sure making the Hitman game episodic did it NO favors. Still not sure why the hell SE thinks that's a good sales strategy. Just because it works with an interactive narrative (Life is Strange) doesn't mean it's going to work with a stealth game with real consequences.

What makes the news a bit more of a stinger is that SE also announced that it had record high net sales in 2016.

http://kotaku.com/square-enix-had-record-high-sales-last-year-1795117503

I was turned off by the idea of it being episodic before I bought it but I actually ended up liking it. There were all kinds of challenges for taking out the target in different ways and the elusive targets were really cool. Because it was episodic I actually took the time to play through the new cities multiple times while I probably would have just played through everything a single time if it was all available at once. They gave me a reason to keep coming back to the game for a few months.

I agree that it probably hurt sales because it kept me away from the game for a while too. I just think it was actually a cool way to handle a game like this now that I have played it. I definitely don't want that to be a trend for big AAA games going forward though.

Well SE really has been a bit of a cluster f*ck in recent years from a business perspective. Jim Sterling puts it all in perspective here:

Let's not forget this is the same company that introduced "Augment Your Preorder" and also planned on Just Cause 3 being a multiplayer only experience.

They might not have the business end of it down but they make some very good games. I'm not really into any of their Japanese franchises but the recent Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Deus Ex games are all very good. Their upcomming Marvel games are very likely to help out with a lot of cash too.

Seems like this is already happening. They've already brought back Bayoneta and Vanquish so far. With those hitting so close together with no announcement before hand it seems likely that they are also working on other games.

I don't think those are indicative of them already starting this. Bayonetta and Vanquish were simply ports of games that aren't even 10 years old. Sega's list of IPs is massive, and I think they're looking to make brand new games based off of them. I wouldn't mind seeing some new games based off of their Arcade and Genesis IPs, like Phantasy Star or ESWAT or Streets of Rage. Be nice of them to stop focusing on Sonic all the time.

I don't think those are indicative of them already starting this. Bayonetta and Vanquish were simply ports of games that aren't even 10 years old. Sega's list of IPs is massive, and I think they're looking to make brand new games based off of them. I wouldn't mind seeing some new games based off of their Arcade and Genesis IPs, like Phantasy Star or ESWAT or Streets of Rage. Be nice of them to stop focusing on Sonic all the time.

Bayonetta and Vanquish are still older games even if they aren't Genesis era old. I'd also argue that they are much more relevant franchises in 2017 than just about anything they could bring back from the Genesis era. I obviously like games more than the average person does but I wouldn't recognize any of the games you mentioned if I saw someone playing them. I've heard about Phantasy Star and Streets of Rage lots of times but I wouldn't recognize them myself. I don't think I've ever even heard of ESWAT. I googled it thinking that was an acronym for something but that is its actual title.

Bayonetta and Vanquish are still older games even if they aren't Genesis era old. I'd also argue that they are much more relevant franchises in 2017 than just about anything they could bring back from the Genesis era. I obviously like games more than the average person does but I wouldn't recognize any of the games you mentioned if I saw someone playing them. I've heard about Phantasy Star and Streets of Rage lots of times but I wouldn't recognize them myself. I don't think I've ever even heard of ESWAT. I googled it thinking that was an acronym for something but that is its actual title.
I think it's more of a case of Sega looking at easier ways to make money, which isn't really a bad thing. For a lot of people, news of a new Shinobi or Alex Kidd or Golden Axe would be of interest to them. New games can be set up in these dormant franchises, which makes them appealing to old fans as well as can create new fans by opening up a new series to them. You may have only heard of Streets of Rage, but back in the day, it was Sega's exclusive beat'em'up game, and was basically their answer to Final Fight. And Shinobi is basically their version of Ninja Gaiden, or rather the opposite should be said considering Shinobi came first. Point being, Sega is sitting on a trove of underutilized IPs that many players know of and have fond memories of, so rather than just let them sit dormant, they may as well be used. As we saw with the most recent Prey, existing IPs are easier to sell than new ones, so rather than Sega having to take constant risks with brand new IPs they can just dust off some old ones and make new stuff for them, assuming though they don't do like what Prey did and do something 99% different than what the IP was originally based off of.

I hope more companies follow suit with this. I'd love to see some of these old franchises I grew up with getting new games.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05...the-next-year?abthid=591b2f0f16d06f4d7400001a

Ubisoft just formally announced 3 games. A new Assassin's Creed, Far Cry 5, and The Crew 2. Everyone already knew that a new AC game would be coming and I've heard rumors about Far Cry 5 for the last few weeks but The Crew 2 is a total surprise for me. I'm not sure who asked for that one.

I'm hoping Far Cry 5 is more than a setting change with a minor improvement over Far Cry 4, which was a setting change and a minor improvement over Far Cry 3. I really liked both of those games (skipped Primal) but I'm not sure I'm ready for them to go back to that well unless there are some significant changes, especially since Horizon has already improved on the Far Cry formula.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts