X-Box, Playstation, and Wii Game News

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Looks like Sonic Team finally figured out how to get fans interested in their new game.

They're finally allowing users to basically create their own custom Sonic character.

For the uninitiated, Sonic the Hedgehog has, quite frankly, one of the more perverse and insane fan-fiction communities out there, and is big in the furry community. So for Sega to cater to this demographic is interesting to say the least. I'm almost tempted to make a "reaction" video to this just to get some cheap hits, but then it may involve me delving into that world and even I am not in such a rut that I feel the need to do that to get more viewers.

Also, for fun, google "(Your First Name) the Hedgehog" and you're all but guaranteed to get some sort of "result."

Far Cry 5 Reveal Trailer:

I love how in the end it says "Playstation: The Best Place to Play."

I think my i7 6700 1070 may say otherwise..

Friday the 13th, the new Crowdfunded version, launched the other day. Unfortunately it's not doing very well. Servers can't handle all the players and there's bugs and glitches galore.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/friday-the-13th-the-game-suffering-from-server-iss/1100-6450373/

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/05/27/friday-the-13th-game-review-ps4/#/slide/1

Hopefully they can fix the game up sooner rather than later so the player base doesn't abandon it quickly because it does look like a pretty fun concept if executed properly.

Last edited:
Rocket League's second anniversary is next month and they are adding a bunch of new stuff to mark the occasion. There is a new map, new cars, new cosmetics, and new achievements coming.

Kotaku has published an in depth story about why Mass Effect Andromeda came out in such a bad state. I haven't had time to read it completely but it looks like TONS of changes were made during development and the game was essentially made in 18 months at the end. As a software developer myself (although not NEARLY as complex/sophisticated as what these guys dealt with) I know that pain all too well and know that that crap happens FAR too often (part of the reason why I can't read the article in its entirety right now)

http://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428

Kotaku has published an in depth story about why Mass Effect Andromeda came out in such a bad state. I haven't had time to read it completely but it looks like TONS of changes were made during development and the game was essentially made in 18 months at the end. As a software developer myself (although not NEARLY as complex/sophisticated as what these guys dealt with) I know that pain all too well and know that that crap happens FAR too often (part of the reason why I can't read the article in its entirety right now)

http://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428

This is a very good read. One thing that just doesn't make any sense to me is that the animations/facial animations in Dragon Age Inquisition were fine. That game was also using the Frostbyte engine. The article mentions that they switched to new animation tools for Andromeda. Why? They already had a solution that worked for a similar RPG built on the same engine. I know nothing about programming but it doesn't seem like there was any reason to reinvent the wheel for Andromeda.

This is a very good read. One thing that just doesn't make any sense to me is that the animations/facial animations in Dragon Age Inquisition were fine. That game was also using the Frostbyte engine. The article mentions that they switched to new animation tools for Andromeda. Why? They already had a solution that worked for a similar RPG built on the same engine. I know nothing about programming but it doesn't seem like there was any reason to reinvent the wheel for Andromeda.
It wasn't the FrostByte Engine that was doing the animation itself. They used a third party tool that was chosen early on in development, but done in pre-production as opposed to planning. They also ended up scrapping that tool and using another one, so all their work was thrown out. Also, the tool used by Dragon Age wasn't the same one used by Andromeda. Finally, they didn't have enough time or resources to properly animate everything because the script arrived so late and they were terribly understaffed respectively.

It wasn't the FrostByte Engine that was doing the animation itself. They used a third party tool that was chosen early on in development, but done in pre-production as opposed to planning. They also ended up scrapping that tool and using another one, so all their work was thrown out. Also, the tool used by Dragon Age wasn't the same one used by Andromeda. Finally, they didn't have enough time or resources to properly animate everything because the script arrived so late and they were terribly understaffed respectively.

But my question is why didn't they just use the same tool they used for Dragon Age? I understand that they changed it but it doesn't really say why. The one they used for that game was fine, or at least the final product they made using that tool was.

But my question is why didn't they just use the same tool they used for Dragon Age? I understand that they changed it but it doesn't really say why. The one they used for that game was fine, or at least the final product they made using that tool was.
Changing tools isn't as simple as it sounds (time to put on my Software Developer hat!)

Although the article doesn't explicitly say it, my guess is that DA:I and ME:A were run by completely different teams and therefore could not easily share work or toolsets. Also, when the 3rd party tools were selected, they were staffed accordingly, so DA:I hired people for their tool and ME:A hired people for theirs. They probably weren't using the same technology, so to implement the DA:I tool into ME:A would have a cost of either retraining the staff or possibly hiring new ones, which would cause significant delays. There's also the high probability that the tools were not compatible, so then you'd have days/weeks/months of work completely lost. In addition, even though both games were built on Frostbyte you have to remember that they used various additional tools/engines as well, and there's a good chance that ME:A and DA:I didn't use all the same ones. So it wasn't as simple as putting pieces into a puzzle. With so many interconnecting parts and code written to comply with each one's specifications, code was likely not easily transferable, and implementation of one's 3rd party engine into another could break numerous things.

I HIGHLY recommend you check out this video by Extra Credits that explains the issues that can pop up during software development that cause unfinished games to be shipped out.

And it's not just technology issues either, but decisions made by upper management. As is shown in this article, the management aspect of ME:A was very hurtful. There were constant scope changes and disagreements with other teams as well as numerous people leaving. Staff turnover can be DEVASTATING in software development, especially if you don't have a proper documentation system in place. It should also be mentioned that this was by far the greatest project that this studio had ever embarked on, so they weren't prepared for such an undertaking. This was compounded even more by the difficulty in programming in the Frostbyte engine.

Finally, if we are to believe the stories that the main development was crammed into 18 months, then regardless of the engines used and staff sized, this was not going to turn out well. When you're still doing active development close to a deadline, it rarely turns out looking the way that the developers wanted. I'm in a similar situation myself right now. I have a project that had a deadline of 6/16 originally (well not ORIGINALLY, but most recently.) Then on 6/2 I discovered that about 3/4th of the code I had written was no good anymore because the data access component had to be COMPLETELY rewritten because of an unforeseen issue with a 3rd party tool we were using. So all the effort I had put into that was now completely blown and I had to quickly re-write stuff just to get it done. With the new data access component came new issues with trying to get it to work with my existing code base, and then late yesterday I was told that the due date had been moved up to EOD 6/8 because the business screwed up or something. So now I have more sh*t to do and less time than anticipated to do it in. Normally when I am near a deadline I plan to have my code completely written a few days in advance so I can do lots of bug testing as well as do as much code cleanup and optimizing as possible. But now that I need to work my ass off to get this deadline, it's not going to be properly tested and QAed so it is going to be more prone to errors. However, this crap isn't because I was a bad developer, but because management made stupid decisions that I am stuck with and the business people (Read: NOT DEVELOPERS) have set high expectations while constantly changing requirements for the work that needs to be done, coupled along with the various bugs and crap you discover during the course of regular development. This crap happens ALL THE TIME in the world of software development, and what I work on isn't even half as complex as what these game developers deal with. I can't even begin to fathom the levels of complexity associated with AAA game development.

Hope that gives a bit of better understanding as to why there were such differences in the final results of ME:A versus DA:I

CD PROJEKT RED (developers of The Witcher) are being blackmailed by a group threatening to release files related to their new upcoming game Cyberpunk 2077.

I wouldn't pay either. If anything, release of alpha/beta work would only generate more interest.

Not necessarily. If the game is in a REALLY early and potentially ugly state it could make the game look bad and leave a bad first impression. As a coder myself if I had my works in progress displayed to potential clients/bosses I might jump out a window in embarrassment. There's a big difference between stuff that works and stuff that works well.

Having said that, I also would not pay the ransom because sh*tty illegal behavior like this should not be validated or rewarded.

Even if whatever was stolen looks bad they were pretty clear in saying that it was early stuff. It's not like that is going to be the last thing people see before they buy it. If it looks bad it probably won't help sales but I doubt it will have any negative impact on them either. By the time the game comes out it will be shown off in a much better light several times. People won't be basing their purchase decision on some stolen early assets.

Microsoft has announced the XBox One X will be out in November for $499

The price point is a pretty high compared to every other console available but this is also the only console capable of native 4K gaming at 60 FPS. To build a PC that can do that you would be looking at spending $1200+ so it's not that bad of a price. Still, most people will obviously go for the Xbox One S at $250 instead.

I haven't seen much from E3 yet because I was out of town over the weekend. Of the few trailers I have seen Wolfenstein is easily the game I'm looking forward to most. The New Order was one of the best early reasons to own a PS4/Xbox One. I guess I need to finally get around to playing The Old Blood.

I just took a look at the youtube comments for this video and they are pretty disgusting. Apparently there is a pretty large number of people who think Wolfenstein is a politically correct, feminist, social justice warrior game that is racist towards white people because it glorifies killing nazis.

There are people saying that Wolfenstein and the Amazon show, The Man in High Castle, are the true American dream because the Nazis control America. This shouldn't be shocking to me considering the state of youtube comments and people on the internet in general but this wasn't what I was expecting to see today.

Last edited: