OTHER x2 mini version 1

3d1r

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
cal
I bought the mini version 1, not the new version. It was cheap. 22 bucks.
Is it going to come updated ?? is there new firmware that will enhance its performance that you know of??
What is better about the new version that is 130 $..??

I bought the mini version 1, not the new version. It was cheap. 22 bucks.
Is it going to come updated ?? is there new firmware that will enhance its performance that you know of??
What is better about the new version that is 130 $..??

Is this the receiver you bought?

products - X SQUARE TECHNOLOGY

If so, then the latest firmware available for it is on that page. A little history... The very first X2 box I bought was an X2 Premium, which worked fine (until lightning took it out). Since I liked that receiver so much I wanted to stick with them and tried the X2 Premium Mini. When it arrived it constantly rebooted, to the point that I couldn't even access the menus. Thought it might be a fluke so I bought their X2 M1HD (DVB-S2 version) which had overheat problems and constantly restarted by itself from the beginning. I was going to return it but instead experimented with modding it, adding a fan, to try to keep it stable. I no longer use it and I also no longer purchase X2 receivers. You may do fine with a different model from them but just sayin'. :rolleyes:

nice news, I better have better luck..mine is the V1 HD.The box shows a pic of a receiver that says Premium V1. I didnt know I was getting a premium. Its says Full HD 1080p. If you had one 3-5 years ago they might have improved them,no??
btw ...is this youtube thing free access to youtube videos via satellite?? The only ones I would want would be do it yourself how to videos and a few others. Is this one of the channels you get on Galaxy 19??

Reactions: SatPhreak
nice news, I better have better luck..mine is the V1 HD.The box shows a pic of a receiver that says Premium V1. I didnt know I was getting a premium. Its says Full HD 1080p. If you had one 3-5 years ago they might have improved them,no??
btw ...is this youtube thing free access to youtube videos via satellite?? The only ones I would want would be do it yourself how to videos and a few others. Is this one of the channels you get on Galaxy 19??
I never tried the V1HD. The last X2 receiver that I had was about two years ago. Hopefully they have done some improvements in that time and you will get a good one. Let us know how it performs for you. Youtube, IPTV, etc are streamed via the internet (either by wi-fi or a wired connection - whichever your receiver supports) from your router. :)

I got the little thing.... its ridiculously small...I would not have ordered it if I had known how tiny and cheap it is. No wonder people have had problems with overheating. What a LOUSY piece of chink engineering. Anyway I was thinking that its going to need a fan or heatsink.
I would prefer a non mechanical so the heatsink would be better. Maybe a piece of finned aluminum about 3 times the size of the unit and the box nestled into the middle of it.. do you think that will work for heat dissipation?? I wont have the dish set up for a couple of months so plenty of time for design.
btw on the LNB...the blue sky dish has the mini reflector on it...should I aim the LNB right at the middle of that???

I got the little thing.... its ridiculously small...I would not have ordered it if I had known how tiny and cheap it is. No wonder people have had problems with overheating. What a LOUSY piece of chink engineering. Anyway I was thinking that its going to need a fan or heatsink.
I would prefer a non mechanical so the heatsink would be better. Maybe a piece of finned aluminum about 3 times the size of the unit and the box nestled into the middle of it.. do you think that will work for heat dissipation?? I wont have the dish set up for a couple of months so plenty of time for design.
btw on the LNB...the blue sky dish has the mini reflector on it...should I aim the LNB right at the middle of that???
Have you tried the receiver yet? Perhaps they have gotten better at heat management. Not sure that a heat sink on the outside of the unit would work. It would likely block any ventilation the unit does get. The processor chip is what overheats so generally direct contact between it and the heatsink is required to be effective. Increased air flow over the board/chip is usually a good solution. A cheap 5VDC fan from Amazon/eBay and power from an ac adapter or the USB port is pretty effective.

If it does have problems is returning it an option? Don't know how tight your budget is but you could invest in the receiver that KE4EST currently sells. These are solid units he has personally tested with good support from a member right here on Satellite Guys.

Amiko Mini HD265

P.S. Unfamiliar with Blue Sky dishes. Could you post up a pic of your dish and lnb so we can see what they look like. :)

Reactions: KE4EST
P.S. Unfamiliar with Blue Sky dishes. Could you post up a pic of your dish and lnb so we can see what they look like. :)
Do a Google image search of a Wild Blue dish.
They have the sub reflector.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Do a Google image search of a Wild Blue dish.
They have the sub reflector.
Wow, don't believe I've ever seen one of those. So I'm assuming you would want to mount the new lnb at the exact same focus point in front of the sub-reflector as the original lnb?

I would keep the sub reflector and mount the LNBF in the exact position and at the same angle as the original current feedhorn. Without the sub reflector, the replacement feedhorn will need to be mounted on an extension arm to move it further way from the reflector to a distance which adds in the current reflective distance from the sub reflector to the current feedhorn opening. RimaNTSS would be a better resource for this as he has experimented and compared LNBF mounting options with these type of dish designs.

Reactions: RimaNTSS
I like double-reflector dishes, they look sexy. :) By theory Gregorian and Cassagrain antenna-systems have ~10% better performance than simple offsets and PFAs. But this difference in performance is pretty hard to notice on small antennas , and Wild Blue dish is the small one. If I had such a dish I would probably use it with subreflector. Of course it is possible to remove the SUB and find the way how to mount LNBF but that will take lots of time and work. If you do not like double-reflector antenna, much simpler is to find another antenna and keep Wild Blue dish for better times or sell it to another enthusiast. If you have bigger offset dish and like to experiment than it is possible to use the SUB, but that, again, takes some time, resources and skills.
So, for 3d1r I would advice to install universal LNBF in front of SUB in exact position as original LNBF.
Some pictures are welcome. ;)

I tried it both ways, when I experimented with a Wild Blue dish. I found it worked better with the sub reflector.

I will use the sub reflector. I will point the LNB at the middle of it. I bet it works.
btw those Amiko boxes are too much. I will try the X2...that company is way off if they think people require a tiny footprint like that
for a Sat receiver. They could have made it the size of a paperback novel and nobody would have complained.THis is not a cell phone we are talking about here.X2 needs to hire competent design engineers.
I have some time pre paid on DISH network so I wont have this working for awhile yet.

this is what I came up with. A sled that runs inside the rails made of scrap oak. It slides smoothly and I can experiment where it should be exactly.I angled the LNB holder part at about 12 degrees.It seems to point at the sub reflector...I will have to strap the LNB down ....
I repurposed the mounting bracket years ago and use it to hold a cell antenna .....Where can I find another one that will fit the WB dish??
I might be able to make an adaptor that joins the WB dish and my DISH network bracket and re enforce it to make it solid....
I could add some arms easy enough....but it would be better to just buy a used bracket if I could find one for 5 bucks.. 100_1556.JPG 100_1555.JPG 100_1554.JPG

Reactions: Phalaenopsis
3d1r I can make new LNB-holder for your WB antenna. It will be fully adjustable (sliding between the rails, LNB-height adjustable, and also leaning of the LNB adjustable). If interested, do precise measurements which I marked on your picture:1 red line and 2 yellow lines (in mm, please) and PM this data to me. 100_1555 (Large).JPG

I like free stuff but thanks anyway. btw I was playing around with the mini and found among other things you have to plug in the channel dongle to make the remote work. I was inside and had NO connection to the coax jack...and the first screen was the Sat screen and on top was Galaxy 19. And even know there was no antenna connection Galaxy was showing a signal....There was no quality signal but the general signal was active although low. I think it will be easy to get a strong connection once the Dish is connected.

Reactions: Phalaenopsis
btw on my Amiko LNB there are some markings..an arrow and some notches...does that arrow have to be up or is that just a guide..??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)