XBox 360 100GB drive announced

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
Given that the PlayStation 3 ships with a pre-installed 20 GB hard drive in its standard configuration while offering a 60 GB variant, it was a matter of time before Microsoft would announce a bigger hard drive for the Xbox 360.

Today, at X06 in Korea, Microsoft Corp. announced larger capacity hard drives and memory units for the Xbox 360. Microsoft plans to introduce a 100 GB hard drive, which will offer five times the storage of the existing Xbox 360 hard drive, and a 256 MB memory unit that quadruples the current Xbox 360 Memory Unit.

Both accessories are scheduled for a March 2007 launch in Korea. Microsoft has yet to announce or confirm a North American release for these two accessories. TeamXbox has requested a comment from Microsoft, and we'll bring you the official word as soon as we get it. Stay tuned.

Source: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12039/Microsoft-Announces-100-GB-Xbox-360-HDD-at-Korean-X06/

The XBOX360 sounds more and more like my PC. Let me know when M$ has a 500gb drive and 2gb of memory and maybe I will sell my PC.

Any word on HOW we could migrate stuff off the 20 GB drive to the 100 GB one? I'd hate to have to start from scratch, and I have several media files too large (ie. mp3s) that I can't just shift via a memory card...

Microsoft announced that the 100 gig HDD was a hoax. When I have time later I will post a link.

I've had to delete a bunch of media files. I'm down to 5 gB free (I've got about a dozen XLA titles also)

No 100GB hard drive for 360
Last week a Korean gaming site carried pictures from a presentation on Xbox 360 peripherals at Microsoft's X06 Korea event. The snapshots included art of the Xbox Live Vision camera, a 256MB memory card, the Xbox 360 wireless gaming receiver that lets players use the system peripherals on a PC without cords, and an Xbox 360 hard drive with "100GB" written across the top.

The news was picked up and reported around the Web, and Microsoft today finally addressed the issue directly. A representative for the company passed on the following statement:

"The reference to a 100GB hard drive in a recent presentation in Korea has been misleading, and in fact we have no plans to bring a 100GB hard drive to the market. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused."

The representative could not explain exactly how the reference was misleading. When asked if the company had plans for a larger Xbox 360 hard drive, he did say it was "always a possibility."

"The device is modular, and there's the possibility that different hard drives will be available in the future," the representative said. "To reiterate, we have no plans to announce such an accessory in the near future."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6160327.html?tag=lastword;link

Thanks, I couldn't find the link where I saw that announcement from MS.

No 100GB hard drive for 360
Last week a Korean gaming site carried pictures from a presentation on Xbox 360 peripherals at Microsoft's X06 Korea event. The snapshots included art of the Xbox Live Vision camera, a 256MB memory card, the Xbox 360 wireless gaming receiver that lets players use the system peripherals on a PC without cords, and an Xbox 360 hard drive with "100GB" written across the top.

The news was picked up and reported around the Web, and Microsoft today finally addressed the issue directly. A representative for the company passed on the following statement:

"The reference to a 100GB hard drive in a recent presentation in Korea has been misleading, and in fact we have no plans to bring a 100GB hard drive to the market. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused."

The representative could not explain exactly how the reference was misleading. When asked if the company had plans for a larger Xbox 360 hard drive, he did say it was "always a possibility."

"The device is modular, and there's the possibility that different hard drives will be available in the future," the representative said. "To reiterate, we have no plans to announce such an accessory in the near future."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6160327.html?tag=lastword;link

Typical MS. More doublespeak... "in the near future."and "always a possibility" Tranlation, not in the next 3 months but maybe next year. They also said no 1080p and we are getting our update to enable 1080p.

Whatever, MS!!! You guys leak it out at your OWN show in Korea and then decide that its not time to announce it yet.

See joe, its not Sony that I am bashing this time! Both companies have morons. One tries to cover stuff up and the other prices their products way out of the average gamer's budget.

There are rumors that the photo was photoshopped.... Who knows... They definitely need it though..... 20 GB doesn't cut it... I have to delete stuff constantly. It would be nice to be able to download it and leave it....

AutoDownload is set to "off" by default luckily. I would still like a larger drive though, if I could migrate easily....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)