Xbox 360-External Blue Ray Player

Well, we've been hearing this for so long, and hearing denials for so long.....

I believe it's coming. I suspect MS had it developed, while they pondered the best business strategy- suppress/ignore and maybe lose a little business (sent to rival Sony) or validate the PS3 Blu-ray by releasing a similar capability.

Maybe they still haven't made up their minds.

Like a lot of overhyped games lately, this is one of those things where I couldn't care less unless it actually happens. Would be nice if the end result was a $100 external BD drive that can be used on the 360 as well as PCs.

Like a lot of overhyped games lately, this is one of those things where I couldn't care less unless it actually happens. Would be nice if the end result was a $100 external BD drive that can be used on the 360 as well as PCs.

I still use my HD-DVD external for my wife's computer. Works fine as a nice backpack drive.

:D I hope it gets here before Christmas.

Might explain why MS has been dropping the price on all their 360 SKU's lately. Buy an external BD drive and you're back to the price of a PS3.

Xbox Live has a HUGE download coming soon that will change the whole Xbox Live experience. It might just have the firmware needed for the external Blu-Ray player. Keep your fingers crossed !!!!!!!!:up

Okay, but this would be a add on, without the HD codecs correct? the 360 cant do those, or am I missing something here. By the way, I always hoped they would do this.

I don't believe the story. None of these stories have panned out in the past, and I think it adds a whole other mess of issues. I don't think it's worth adding a BD drive JUST for games, and I can't imagine that they'll be able to get all the added BD functionality in an external BD drive (BD-Live, HD audio codecs, 24p output, HDCP issues, etc etc.) I mean I don't know how the HD-DVD drives handled stuff like that, but to me it just will add a bunch of confusion in the market place, and also Sony could use it as a way to leverage their PS3 (PS3 has BD built in while 360 owners have to BUY it separately with a bulky external drive.)

Adding a BD drive just adds confusion to the gaming marketplace, and the negatives associated with adding a BD drive in my opinion do not outweigh the positives, both PR-wise and cost-wise.

Adding a BD drive only adds options to the marketplace. It would never be used for games, it would never be used on enough consoles to justify it.

Though if they could bring it out at $99, it would sell pretty well IMO as long as some of the issues you mention could be resolved via software. It doesn't need to be the best or an enthusiast-level BD player to be successful.

Adding a BD drive only adds options to the marketplace. It would never be used for games, it would never be used on enough consoles to justify it.

Though if they could bring it out at $99, it would sell pretty well IMO as long as some of the issues you mention could be resolved via software. It doesn't need to be the best or an enthusiast-level BD player to be successful.
I dunno. I just think it's an unnecessary add-on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)