XBOX 360 Failed: No Red Lights, though. What is this?

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
This morning, all the colors in the dashboard suddenly smeared like someone dumped water on a watercolor painting.

I turned off the unit for a while and turned it back on. There was no image at all (my TV calls it "unsupported mode"). I was using VGA, so I switched to component, rebooted, and same thing---no picture. (The TV is working fine with all other components).

The audio still works. I can hear the usual boot-up tones and the swooshes by navigating the blades. I expected to see the red ring of death, but the console is behaving as usual, just no image. Is this a precursor to RROD?

I'm still under warranty. So I'll be calling 1-800-4 MY XBOX when they open. How long should I expect to wait to have my console repaired and returned to me?

Mine did the exact same thing this morning. However, when I rebooted, I got the Red Rings. Nice, just in time for Christmas. :mad:

I have this same problem right now. I just jiggle the back cable and then turn it back on
(sometimes it takes a few power ons) and that normally fixes the problem until the next time I power back off. I figured it was possibly the cable going bad. I was going to go out and buy a new one to try.

I have this same problem right now. I just jiggle the back cable and then turn it back on
(sometimes it takes a few power ons) and that normally fixes the problem until the next time I power back off. I figured it was possibly the cable going bad. I was going to go out and buy a new one to try.

...I was using VGA [when this happened], so I switched to component, rebooted, and same thing---no picture. ...

Same results on VGA cable and component cable. That rules out cable (unless the previously nomal funcitoning cables both went bad at the same time--LOL).

Before anyone asks, I also connected my DVD player to the component input (that was yielding no image from the console) and the DVD player displayed fine. Guess that rules out the TV's input. I don't have a way to easily check the VGA input, but that'd be overkill anyway.

Bottom line, console shows no image via VGA or component where the component input on the display works fine with another component. Must be the console.

I almost wish I'd get the RROD so MS won't put me through any unnecessary hassle.

Now that we've ruled out cables and the TV as the culprit...

After many reboots, I temporarily got the following images via component (can't get anything to show up via VGA).

Has anyone else seen this? Is this a precursor to RROD?

DyingXBOX3604.jpg

DyingXBOX3603.jpg

DyingXBOX3602.jpg

DyingXBOX3601.jpg

DyingXBOX360.jpg

Here's a shot from the HD DVD add-on drive.

DyingXBOX3605.jpg

Eh, I turned on my 360 to make sure, no problems here so far...thank god..
But my 360 its acting very slow, my friend list loads slower and slower by the weeks..reformatted my 360 2nd time today and still my Friend list loads slow, and I only have 5 friends..

3-4 weeks when i sent mine in last feb. The box comes from Texas 3rd day saver. Three days to you, three days back to them. About two weeks to fix it. Three days to ship back
One of the reasong why I bought it from Costco, I am in the warranty, so if anything were to happen to my 360, I could go in and replace it.
I don't have a gold account anymore, going to make a new gamertag and re-start all over again :)

3-4 weeks when i sent mine in last feb. The box comes from Texas 3rd day saver. Three days to you, three days back to them. About two weeks to fix it. Three days to ship back

You got lucky. Mine failed twice both times it was 5business days for the coffin to get to me. 5 more back, 3 business days to repair and 5 BSD more back to me. All told about 5 weeks total.

That smearing you are seeing if because your video chip is going bad. The processor is not the only thing that overheats in those. The video chip overheats too and most of the time causes 3 Reds lights too.

Or send you back another piece of crap. On my 5th... And for your troubles you most likley get a free month to xbox live. I have gotten two of those already.

PS3 Downloadable Games

Cod4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)