Xbox 360 S - Red Ring of Death

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
Wonderful, my kid's R2D2 Xbox 360 S is giving the red ring of death every time they turn it on. Due to the prices of xbox 360's, it's probably not worth my time to fix it.

I don't have too much experience with Xbox, other than playing a game or two that I can't find on the Playstation, so was wondering something.

This particular model doesn't have the 4GB built in, so I think (hope) all the user profiles, saves, and games are stored on the HDD. So, if I buy a new one, will it be as simple as just putting the drive into the new unit?

I really don't want the kids to lose their saves, and I know that Playstation won't let you put a drive from a different system into it (thank god for ps plus cloud saves) without reformatting it. Wanted to make sure Microsoft doesn't have that issue with the xbox 360.

Wonderful, my kid's R2D2 Xbox 360 S is giving the red ring of death every time they turn it on. Due to the prices of xbox 360's, it's probably not worth my time to fix it.

I don't have too much experience with Xbox, other than playing a game or two that I can't find on the Playstation, so was wondering something.

This particular model doesn't have the 4GB built in, so I think (hope) all the user profiles, saves, and games are stored on the HDD. So, if I buy a new one, will it be as simple as just putting the drive into the new unit?

I really don't want the kids to lose their saves, and I know that Playstation won't let you put a drive from a different system into it (thank god for ps plus cloud saves) without reformatting it. Wanted to make sure Microsoft doesn't have that issue with the xbox 360.
Unless the drive is bad

Could be a bad power supply. My cousin had numerous returns with Microsoft with his Xbox and it turned out the power brick was screwing it all up. Once he replaced that all the issues stopped. To be fair, it was the original version, not the updated model.

Could be a bad power supply. My cousin had numerous returns with Microsoft with his Xbox and it turned out the power brick was screwing it all up. Once he replaced that all the issues stopped. To be fair, it was the original version, not the updated model.
Didn't think about that. I'll borrow a power supply from my brother and check to see if that does the trick. Thanks for the tip.

The saves might also be in the cloud if they have an Xbox Live Gold subscription. Unfortunately, I think you had to manually select the cloud as your storage location for most games for this to work on the 360. The Xbox One and PS4 are much better about this since they both automatically copy your saves to the cloud without you having to do anything.

If the saves are in the cloud they will automatically be available on a new 360 or Xbox One (for backwards compatible games) as soon as your kids sign into their Live accounts.

No Gold Accounts for the kids, so nothing is saved onto the cloud. So hopefully I can just transfer the HDD and everything goes along with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts