Xbox three rings of death?

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
My son is getting three parts of the ring of death. He has had it now for two years. Anything to do about this except putting it in the garbage? Can it be fixed? If so where? Thank you!:confused:

Depends how far away you live from Texas. They ship stuff on UPS ground.

I don't live very far from TX. I was wondering who I contacted and how to ship it. I don't believe I ever registered so I guess I would screwed. Any help would be appreciated. My 10 year old is detoxing. :D

I think you'll be okay. Call 1-800-4MY-XBOX. They'll send you a box ( coffin as most call it ) to ship your 360 back. Shouldn't cost you a dime.

I think you'll be okay. Call 1-800-4MY-XBOX. They'll send you a box ( coffin as most call it ) to ship your 360 back. Shouldn't cost you a dime.

True, I didn't have mine registered until the day I contacted them to send it back for repair. It took me about 3 weeks to get it back. They also gave me a free month of xbox live service.

True, I didn't have mine registered until the day I contacted them to send it back for repair. It took me about 3 weeks to get it back. They also gave me a free month of xbox live service.

Thanks to all. I think I'm going to send this one back and run to gamestop and get him a refurbsed one. THanks again.

Microsoft is real good about replacing 360's, not like Sony's PS3, they charge $160.00 to repair the No read/play games-Blu-ray ring of sucking another couple of hundred bucks out of you!!!!!! :mad:

I fixed mine with a RROD repair kit on ebay it works great now, so far anyways. My warranty was up on mine (cause I voided it) so I couldn't send it in. A new xbox is now $199 i wouldnt pay more that 160 for a used one. I love the xbox more than my PS3 I do like the blu-ray though..

Microsoft's red ring problems have cost the company about a billion dollars in warranty repairs, but the research vice president and chief analyst at Gartner said that the hardware problems were caused because Microsoft wanted to be cheap. Instead of using an application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) vender to make a graphics chip for the 360, Microsoft decided to design it themselves and have Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing create it.
My understanding is that it is vastly better than the old units, but still vastly worse than PS3 and Wii failure rates .

My PS3 works flawlessly and I have never talked to anyone that had any issues. Not meaning to be a troll as I know very little about the 360, but how prevalent is the RROD issue? I guess I have been kind of insulated as I pretty much just play BF:BC on PS3 at night to blow off some stream and use it for a Blu-Ray palyer, however, I get the feeling from threads here dealing with RROD is almost an accepted part of owning an Xbox 360. Is that really the case?? Is it that prevalent? Honestly, if Sony was smart, they would start offering say a $150 voucher off a PS3 if you send them your RROD Xbox. Just a thought......

I have a 360 that was replaced 6 times. I got it when it first launched. I also have a PS3 and that has been replaced once after 1 year. So yes you can have issues with both BUT nowhere near the failure rate of the 360..

My PS3 works flawlessly and I have never talked to anyone that had any issues. Not meaning to be a troll as I know very little about the 360, but how prevalent is the RROD issue? I guess I have been kind of insulated as I pretty much just play BF:BC on PS3 at night to blow off some stream and use it for a Blu-Ray palyer, however, I get the feeling from threads here dealing with RROD is almost an accepted part of owning an Xbox 360. Is that really the case?? Is it that prevalent? Honestly, if Sony was smart, they would start offering say a $150 voucher off a PS3 if you send them your RROD Xbox. Just a thought......

There was an identified issue with the design of the 360 which has since been fixed. It typically takes time for it to break so the issue lingers and is why the warranty was extended to 3 years. Nobody buying a 360 for the last year or so should expect to ever see it in the manner that people portray... as the 'RROD' resulting in a replacement needed. Electronics fail, so stuff can still happen that leads to that same conclusion, but I wouldn't expect it anymore than any other electronics device at this point.

I walked in the front door last night to a RROD on my Xbox. My GH2 controller had fallen off the couch onto it's face. Somehow the way it fell managed to land it on something which held the Xbox button down and turned the console on. For this entire time it was on, all the buttons, the wammy bar, and the strum acted as if they were being held down for however long it was on. This caused the 360 to error at some point, so it locked up and displayed the red ring.

It's just a diagnostic code.... that will always be assocaited with replacing it. Most dont realize that different lights light up for different reasons. You can even invoke one yourself if you unplug the video cable and then turn it on. I believe that's just 2 lights.

Bringing it up now as a reason not to buy it or something is just being ignorant of the facts or just being a fanboy. Blindly defending a choice (buying a PS3) is what it usually is, when regardless of the side people may have chosen, the console one should buy should probably be determined by what most of your friends have the exclusive games available to each system - in that order.

Not buying an Xbox because it might fail is about as rational as people who don't fly for fear of a crash, and instead drive, which exponentially increases their chances of death enroute.

There was an identified issue with the design of the 360 which has since been fixed. It typically takes time for it to break so the issue lingers and is why the warranty was extended to 3 years. Nobody buying a 360 for the last year or so should expect to ever see it in the manner that people portray... as the 'RROD' resulting in a replacement needed. Electronics fail, so stuff can still happen that leads to that same conclusion, but I wouldn't expect it anymore than any other electronics device at this point.

I walked in the front door last night to a RROD on my Xbox. My GH2 controller had fallen off the couch onto it's face. Somehow the way it fell managed to land it on something which held the Xbox button down and turned the console on. For this entire time it was on, all the buttons, the wammy bar, and the strum acted as if they were being held down for however long it was on. This caused the 360 to error at some point, so it locked up and displayed the red ring.

It's just a diagnostic code.... that will always be assocaited with replacing it. Most dont realize that different lights light up for different reasons. You can even invoke one yourself if you unplug the video cable and then turn it on. I believe that's just 2 lights.

Bringing it up now as a reason not to buy it or something is just being ignorant of the facts or just being a fanboy. Blindly defending a choice (buying a PS3) is what it usually is, when regardless of the side people may have chosen, the console one should buy should probably be determined by what most of your friends have the exclusive games available to each system - in that order.

Not buying an Xbox because it might fail is about as rational as people who don't fly for fear of a crash, and instead drive, which exponentially increases their chances of death enroute.
FAN BOY'S!! Would not have both systems! Sorry if i sound like a fan boy not saying you are calling me one but the 360 in JUNK and should have been fixed! It is still not fixed properly too many people still get the RED RING OF DEATH problem! I myself have gotten this just 3 weeks ago my Buddie just sent back his ELITE! same issue..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)