Xfinity (Comcast) Instant TV

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
According to what I understand, (I currently have added) Comcast customers can now, for the current price of $20 (includes "pesky broadcast tv fee) with channels that include limited basic, (all locals & usually C-SPAN & here TBS) all in HD, where avail. in HD and 1 yr all Showtime and STARZ channels in HD (that are offered in HD by your cable area.) The price is added to your internet bill. It also incorporates 20 hrs of cloud DVR, which you are able to watch recorded shows and take "TV GO" channels if you travel. It also includes all Music Choice Channels. It does NOT count against a data cap if you have one. Compatable with Roku, computers, and phones, tablets (definitely Android) Apple I don't have so not sure. TV GO channels if you travel do count towards a data cap.
Showtime, STARZ after 1 yr are $5 a piece, you can add HBO or Streampix as well at reg cost. Not for everyone but I've read where many have a lot of difficulty receiving locals.

Sent from my LG-M322 using the SatelliteGuys app!

It is true, but there's a catch: it counts towards your broadband usage (both in-home and out) where the conventional TV service product does not (neither in-home nor out).

It is true, but there's a catch: it counts towards your broadband usage (both in-home and out) where the conventional TV service product does not (neither in-home nor out).
You have a link to support your position? If its provided by Comcast it doesnt count towards the cap
For example...Netflix on a roku counts but the netflix app on the Comcast box does not
Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

You have a link to support your position? If its provided by Comcast it doesnt count towards the cap
For example...Netflix on a roku counts but the netflix app on the Comcast box does not

Wrong-

Video in the Netflix app on Xfinity X1 is streamed over the Internet. For this reason, usage of the Netflix app on X1 and all other programming and content from the Internet on X1, as well as, the Internet apps on X1 are subject to Xfinity Internet data usage policies.

How Does Netflix on Xfinity X1 affect Internet Data Usage?

I can watch in home and it NOT count against my data. BUT the "To Go" channels, do count. It even provides a little msg on those channels that says, "Accessing the internet..data charges apply" on those channels. But the channels provided to me on my Roku, all in home of course, using their internet, they somehow get away not charging your data cap. Yes, any EXTERNAL site, especially using their X1 like Netflix and others WILL count data. Those apps on the device have little internet symbols so you'll know it counts

I can watch in home and it NOT count against my data. BUT the "To Go" channels, do count. It even provides a little msg on those channels that says, "Accessing the internet..data charges apply" on those channels. But the channels provided to me on my Roku, all in home of course, using their internet, they somehow get away not charging your data cap. Yes, any EXTERNAL site, especially using their X1 like Netflix and others WILL count data. Those apps on the device have little internet symbols so you'll know it counts

How big is the cap?

1TB which is not enough.
My highest data usage in 6 months is close to 500GB. Not even half the TB. Might change but I come well under. This month I'm around 256GB for month as of noon today. Updates every few hrs. Their disclaimer is 24 hrs. But 450-500GB is the norm at what I usually come in at for the month

Wrong-

Video in the Netflix app on Xfinity X1 is streamed over the Internet. For this reason, usage of the Netflix app on X1 and all other programming and content from the Internet on X1, as well as, the Internet apps on X1 are subject to Xfinity Internet data usage policies.

How Does Netflix on Xfinity X1 affect Internet Data Usage?

Not a question directly to anything, but more for my own curiosity.

Does the Comcast Xfinity X1 cable set top box require you to plug it into your home network via ethernet in order to use the apps, or does it utilize an integrated modem? What I think is cool about Charter’s Spectrum WoldBox is Netflix (the only app at the moment) gets it’s data through its own integrated 16 x 4 channel DOCSIS 3 modem, therefore not cannibalizing bandwidth from your home network. Just curious if Comcast operates the same way.

My highest data usage in 6 months is close to 500GB. Not even half the TB. Might change but I come well under. This month I'm around 256GB for month as of noon today. Updates every few hrs. Their disclaimer is 24 hrs. But 450-500GB is the norm at what I usually come in at for the month

ours-
Aug-1.6TBs
Sept-1.8
Oct-2.1
Nov-(so far)-1.3

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Does the Comcast Xfinity X1 cable set top box require you to plug it into your home network via ethernet in order to use the apps, or does it utilize an integrated modem? What I think is cool about Charter’s Spectrum WoldBox is Netflix (the only app at the moment) gets it’s data through its own integrated 16 x 4 channel DOCSIS 3 modem, therefore not cannibalizing bandwidth from your home network. Just curious if Comcast operates the same way.
It uses an internal router to connect wirelessly through your home network internet when accessing the internet. If you use their Xfi app, the device inside the X1 will show as a seperate router with its own name and will be assigned automatically. It does have I believe have a port for ethernet, but not currently utilized

Bruce, are you a cord cutter? If so, do you pay for unlimited data or do you have cable and just have a family that uses a lot of data? I know goimg over 1TB with Comcast can be expensive!!

Yep, we have Vue, but even when we had Xfinity TV we still went over since the majority of what we watch is online.

No data cap since we also have Charter here in town so Comcast does not enforce data caps in my area.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: andy_horton
My highest data usage in 6 months is close to 500GB.
These kinds of numbers without knowing how many users are involve are pretty worthless. 500GB for one user may be "extravagant" but when there are 1.58 or more people sharing account (the average size of a US household), you may be running over once in a while. I live alone and my usage is upwards of 130GB/month but I have a conventional pay TV provider with a DVR that doesn't demand much Internet bandwidth. I estimate that if I converted to a broadband TV provider, I'd be using at least four times the bandwidth.

As for Comcast and their bandwidth limits, I discovered that my account is indeed monitored and they made no effort to inform me. The last time I checked, my account wasn't monitored but it if were, the limit was 2TB but now it is and my limit is 1TB.

Reactions: andy_horton
These kinds of numbers without knowing how many users are involve are pretty worthless. 500GB for one user may be "extravagant" but when there are 1.58 or more people sharing account (the average size of a US household), you may be running over once in a while. I live alone and my usage is upwards of 130GB/month but I have a conventional pay TV provider with a DVR that doesn't demand much Internet bandwidth. I estimate that if I converted to a broadband TV provider, I'd be using at least four times the bandwidth.

As for Comcast and their bandwidth limits, I discovered that my account is indeed monitored and they made no effort to inform me. The last time I checked, my account wasn't monitored but it if were, the limit was 2TB but now it is and my limit is 1TB.
As far as my data usage, I know most households in general have more ppl thus using more data. That would most certainly push up consumption. Naturally it also depends on an individual's usage any way. My representation was occasionally letting streaming run overnight (now have internet equipment set to shut off data at given times weekdays/ends.) They for the longest "suspended" the data cap. But the 1TB is all I get "included." Have seriously considered traditional cable again with the X1 DVR as I found out a day or so ago my living arrangements will be changing and data consumption will JUMP where if using Comcast cable, then just using Netflix/other apps at one time came in around 100GB per month or so avg since I had the traditional cable service.

No. I believe there is a separate modem built in the set top box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)