Xfinity vs. Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have a scheduled appointment Friday, and I'm going nuts here (still considering canceling). gAlthough with Xfinity I'll get every pay channel, 3 room (whole house) DVR and digital box for back room, high speed (30mbps) and home phone fir $20 more than my Directv bill. Im on the fence still even know it's a great deal from Xfinity, but I left Comcast/Xfinity ten years to come to Directv due to crappy customer service. I'm concerned of the HD picture quality for Xfinity.

Any thoughts? Advise?

Anybody in south Florida do the switch? How is it?

Thanks in advance

HD quality is great. If your area has World of More, you'll have more HD than Direct.

Why not do the install, keep Direct connected, and try it out for a couple of weeks? If you don't like it they have a 30 day Money Back guarantee.

Don't forget to check out all the HD On-Demand!

I believe I'm in the world of more area from what I can understand however I don't have a clue to what it is?
I'm going to keep the install and Directv for a few days to check out Xfinity. I am nervous because I'm comfortable with Directv, but feel the price for the services is the most important factor. I admit the thought of having true fast DSL 30 Mbps - 100mbps compared to my and super spotty AT&T 1.5 Mbps.

not to hijack the thread but its along the same lines? I just switched back D* for about 4 months now. Love the HD PQ but I do miss some of the additional HD channels my local cable co offers, rain fade which I never had much of when I was with D* over a year ago. Now it seems any thunderstorm instand rain fade... last night we had no rain but lost about 15 min -- right now its a light/med rain no loss of picture but the 99 and 103 are showing in the low 70-80's where they are typically in the high 90's some 100's - 101 is about the same a few high 80's but most 90's and some 100's

SO back on topic

I too have DSL via AT&T and its slow :-( I could get faster but costs more... last week CableVision contacted me made me an offer of $80 for 2 years (no contract) for what thay call Family IO (all channels but premium movie, sports etc), wifi router with internet speeds of 50/5, phone AND pay off my DirecTV contract. Might do it... but like OP I like D* just not when it rain LOL

I know I can try it for 30 days, but I'm sure they will mess with my current cable runs. I'm just so comfortable with Directv, but Xfinity package with everything and DSL which is 30 times faster than the fastest I can get with AT&T is the real reason for the switch. Plus the cost is a major factor Directv $115 (3 HD DVR's, 1 DVR, home protection) vs. Xfinity ( every channel, home phone and at least 30Mbps Internet with free wireless router for $ 140 a month)

My concern is, if I do decide to return to Directv, I know I won't get 3 HD-DVR's free like I currently have. I did have to play customer service roulette to get them. Each customer service representative is different, some are more giving than others.

I hope I don't regret jumping to Xfinity?

Last edited:
well i would update your credit card with direcTV with a gift card that has about a $1 on it... keep the HR's you have and only send back once you know you are happy with Comcast.

Please just be aware it's COMCAST, which many people on this forum refer to as COMCRAP. I find it hard to believe comcast could be better than D*, but you never know. My in-laws have the comcast digital tier and I think it is vastly inferior to DirecTV's offering. And the picture quality is no where near as good as D*, in my opinion. If you do switch I wish you luck, and I agree with others in that you should probably keep D* hooked up, just in case.

I know it's still Comcast. I was assured the neighborhood has fiber to the curb, so hopefully that improves the whole Comcast/Xfinity experience. That's why I'm reluctant to switch. I know the package they are offering is much better than what I'm paying now and that's a big deciding factor. I had Comcast prior to subscribing to Directv 10 years ago and hated the customer service, hopefully that has since changed. Ideally, I would prefer Verizon Fios, but that's not available in my neighborhood or county for that matter. We have AT&T U-verse in some areas, but not mine (Ft. Lauderdale) we have Comcast/Xfinity or satellite. That's it.

I sure hope Xfinity has improver from Comcast. I'm told its basically a name change, but they are upgrading certain areas one by one to fiber, and my neighborhood is done according to the person who came to my house.

I thought only Fios brought fiber directly inside the house...don't other carriers use fiber to a point and then coax to go into houses? Wouldn't that cut down on the quality a bit?

I know I can try it for 30 days, but I'm sure they will mess with my current cable runs. I'm just so comfortable with Directv, but Xfinity package with everything and DSL which is 30 times faster than the fastest I can get with AT&T is the real reason for the switch. Plus the cost is a major factor Directv $115 (3 HD DVR's, 1 DVR, home protection) vs. Xfinity ( every channel, home phone and at least 30Mbps Internet with free wireless router for $ 140 a month)

My concern is, if I do decide to return to Directv, I know I won't get 3 HD-DVR's free like I currently have. I did have to play customer service roulette to get them. Each customer service representative is different, some are more giving than others.

That is a very good price. Here in the Denver area I too was considering Comcast/Xfinity. For that same bundle they want $160 a month, then if you want to add a HD DVR with an additional HD box and do their version of Whole home DVR I was looking at like $190 a month. The problem with Comcast is their receiver fees- They don't give you your first free like D or E. They want $19.95 for a HDDVR(DCX 3400) then $9.95 for a HD Receiver. So for just 2 receivers I was looking at $30 a month in fees, I just under no circumstances can justify that!:rant:

I

Since I was switching from Directv, I was getting a price much less than going through Comcast/Xfinity. The whole house DVR is just a DVR that can record two shows and the whole house part of it is you can watch the recordings on any TV. You can't record from the other receivers though. It's gonna take a while to get used to it. I'm renting 1 whole houseHD- DVR, 2 HD boxes for the bedrooms that can view recordings off the main DVR and 1 digital box for back room. the total price is $140 a month for months 1-12, $160 for months 12-24 (includes TV, Internet and phone)

As far a picture quality, so for so good. The really sh**ty thing is the channel line up. The networks come on their regular channel, but in standard definition. The HD versions are in the 400 channel line up. I don't understand that they don't just put HD where the network channels are originally like Directv does. If you put a regular channel in and a HD is available for that channel, you'll get a pop up that you press and it will bring you to that HD channel automatically. It's a real pain. There is no option to delete the standard channels if HD is available like Directv.

The Internet is 20 times faster than I was getting and the phone is basically the same, but with slot of options that don't mean much to me.

When I called to cancel Directv and told them why, they offered me $30 off for a year to offset the higher Internet if I chose to stay with them, but that wouldn't help me after the 12 months are up.

Xfinity is gonna take me a while to get used to. I liked having three HD DVR's, but only really used two. I'll justnhave to program everything off of one now. I'll have to stagger the programming. The channel line up sucks, the networks are spread all over the place ( NBC regular 6, HD NBC 426)

I taped a show last night in HD and the whole show was pixelated and unwatchable. I might have to call about that. I never had pixelation on Directv like that. Hopefully if was a one time thing.

I have thirty days to cancel and get my money back.

My dad has Comcast and I hate the HD lineup and the fact that you can't customize the channels. The DVR sucks, if I was going back to Comcast I would get a Tivo.

Yeah Comcast channel #'s is a nightmare. Here in Denver they have the standard def channels then their duplicate HD channels are in the 600-700's. I actually prefer E's #, seems to make the most since.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)