XM Radio on D*

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks for all the replies

Thanks to all who responded. I was most concerned that XM was taking bandwidth away from TV stations but the experts have spoken and it appears as if XM is not "stealing" that much space. So, guys, enjoy your XM! As I said, I enjoy it in the car and work. At home, I rarely listen to it since I have so many other better choices. Anyway, happy listening! And I may listen in too...especially if the merger comes thu and Howard is on.

It's used here quite alot as well. Funny thing....if I wanted to mirror my XM with a reciever in the house, it would be $6.99/month whereas, a mirrored DirecTV reciever is only $4.99.

Unfortunatly they don't have ALL the channels available on XM. also the channels numbers are different, so you have to look for the channel name your wanting.

Jimbo

The key is to have the Directv receiver hooked to your 5.1 stereo so you can turn off the tv and listen to the clear commercial free music. I think it is a great service. Also, Dish has Sirius for their customers. It will be interesting to see if they change their services after the two (XM and Sirius) merge.

Yeah i use it quite a bit at night to go to sleep or relax too, i listen to Ethel and Lucy, wish they would pick up the comedy stations forgot their names i liked to listen to em i gotta hook my computer back up to surround sound to get them sometime.

Have a few XM radios but still listen to it via Direct on my TV's when I need some background music our at our yearly christmas party. I wish they would add XM 175 for baseball talk to the Direct lineup, they recently added it to the xmradio.com stations so it might be available someday.

As a very long-time XM subscriber and fan, I was pleased to see the nearly unanimous opinion that XM is a valued part of the D* service.

But here's a question:

Has anyone who was not an XM subscriber decided to become an XM subscriber (in your vehicle, for instance) because of your exposure to XM through D*? That is, has hearing XM on D* convinced anyone to actually buy an XM subscription?

XM on DirecTV usually runs around 220kbps(MPEG2 Audio). SD video is usually around 2-3mbps.
Wah??? 220kbps??? That's tons of bandwidth as far as audio is concerned. XM sends most of their streams out from 16kbps (talk) to 64kbps. HD Radio only has ~96kbps of total bandwidth. From what I heard, most stations send out 64kbps on the HD1 channel and 32kbps on the HD2 channel...

As a very long-time XM subscriber and fan, I was pleased to see the nearly unanimous opinion that XM is a valued part of the D* service.

But here's a question:

Has anyone who was not an XM subscriber decided to become an XM subscriber (in your vehicle, for instance) because of your exposure to XM through D*? That is, has hearing XM on D* convinced anyone to actually buy an XM subscription?
IF I first learned about XM thru DirecTV, I would have signed up. My new SUV came with 90 days free. After a couple of weeks, I signed up for three years!

You are comparing apples to oranges. 220kbps of MPEG2 audio.

And to the other question...the XM channels on D* convinced me that I made the correct choice of Sirius in the car.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)