XM sound sucks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KayGee

Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I just connected my HD DVR to my audio receiver via Optical Digital and am very disappointed with the sound quality of the XM channels. Is it just me or is this a common complaint?

I've found the XM channels through DTV to be much better than through a sat radio. They are not full 5.1 but I think they sound really good.

i feel the same. they sound better than through my sat car radio.

On the channels I listen to (Symphony Hall, Pops, Spa, Chill, and Area) there is frequent distortion that has been discussed widely on another forum. And it's not just limited to the channels listed above.

I have XM in 3 ways hooked to my Denon receiver;

DTV,Dish & Tao portable and the sound quality is noticeable very much between the three sources.

XM on DTV sounds flat,tinny and not much bass(sorta AM'ish). :sleeo
XM from the Tao portable has more bass and feeling to it. :)
XM on Dish has the most fidelity,clarity,bass and can be played back on the DVR :up

Everyone's hears music differently so my opinion may differ from other subscribers. ;)

...XM on DTV sounds flat,tinny and not much bass(sorta AM'ish). :sleeo ...

I agree 1000% with that assessment. For the record I have an Onkyo TX-SR506 5.1 receiver with connected to my HD DVR via Optical Digital connection. My speakers include an Onkyo SKW204 subwoofer, L/C/R are HTD Level II and my rears are Bose AM5 (probably the weakest link).

I listen primarily to Watercolors and I think the compression rates cause the sound to be not nearly as rich as I had expected it to be. Since I'm not paying any extra for the XM and I probably listen to music on my Home Theater only 5% of the time I shouldn't really complain.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Questions abt coming sat launch(s) & the future

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)