XP Re-install Question

Larobpra

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
North of "Upstate NY"
The wife's older Compaq w/ Windows XP Pro is acting up lately. I can't find any virus or malware. It was bought used with a "clean XP install". The key used though is different than the one on the COA tag on the computer and the Windows verification thing said it was not a valid copy. I have a XP Pro install disk. Can I do a reinstall using the number from the COA on the computer to then have a valid copy of Windows or not? She is wanting to go get a different computer but I want to try that first if it would work.
Thanks.

if you cant find any software issues, pop the side off and inspect the mb for blown caps.
always a good place to start prior to format

Have you tried scanning with Malwarebytes? Is there a restore partition on the computer? When booting does it say something like press f11 or f10 to restore? If so, do that since it will include drivers. Your disk will likely work but if it does you'll have to find and install drivers yourself (from compaq support site). You can likely order the restore disk from compaq. I haven't checked compaq recently but a toshiba disk is "free" with $30 shipping. Microsoft really wants you to use the manufacturer's disk but other disks may work.

I just re-read your post and caught the used, "clean" install bit. I highly recommend fully formatting that drive and starting fresh with a new install of xp. The code on the sticker should be fine. It sounds like the clean install was done with a torrented, cracked copy of windows. Who knows what was installed along with the crack. Wipe her clean. Do a full reinstall of windows xp, install all the factory drivers, update to service pack 3 and then install all the windows updates (around 70 of them) since service pack 3.

If the processor is AMD then there is a patch to avoid a reboot loop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)