xp service pack 3

Keep the reports coming. I have not installed it on any of my machines. I'm scared of it. Too much risk at this point.
I plan to do a Ghost drive backup before installing on each C drive. I want to be able to swap out a C drive and be back to where I was. Maybe next week I'll find the time between projects to tackle that.
Thanks to all you brave souls for testing and reporting.

I finally got it to work. I had to run a cmd file that someone created to run and give permission to the files it needed to change. I don't understand why I had to do this since I am the Admin on the box

I routinely re-install Windows on my machines at home (2 desktops and a laptop) every year or so. I just slip-streamed SP3 into my Windows CD and did a re-install on a couple of my machines (1 desktop and my laptop).

I've been running on each for a couple weeks now, and haven't seen any issues.

The issue also applies to Compaq's with AMD processors (Compaq is owned by HP?). It just keeps rebooting over and over. But the good news is there is a simple fix available. Just Google on AMD XP SP3 HP.

Has anyone had any trouble with Xp service pack 3? It comes up as an update, but have not installed yet , waiting to see if any bugs are found first. Thanks.

I know of one so far: If you use an ALLTEL broadband wireless card model Kyocera #KPC680 Do not install sp3. Your pc will just blue screen you to death. even in safe mode. * Unplug card, boot pc, uninstall service pack 3 in add/remove programs. Your Done. Back to sp2. Check show updates to see the service pack to uninstall. I had to fix my buddy's Dell Laptop a few weeks ago. and sp3 was the problem. well, or rather probably the driver for the wireless card didn't like sp3. So if you get a blue screen after sp3, start unplugging stuff... l-o-l

I actually installed this past week Vista SP1 and so far (knock on wood) my machine is running fine.

I have a HP with AMD processor...no idea if AMD made it but I'm not taking any chances.

I don't really see what SP3 has to offer as it's clearly nowhere near what SP2 was. I'll hold off for now.

Well there is a work around for those who have the AMD processor and want to load SP3. You install SP3 but before you reboot your machine there is a driver file that you need to rename. That way you will not get the reboots some folks have gotten.

Yhis would/should include any HP owned varient:

1. HP
2. Compaq
3. VoodooPC

Users are being offered an unofficial Microsoft software fix to address boot up problems on HP machines that been updated with Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3).

HP users have complained that XP machines powered by AMD processors have encountered problems once SP3 has been downloaded.

Users have seen their machine repeatedly boot up once they turn on their machines. The problem is caused by rogue code in the operating system which is designed for machines powered by Intel processors instead.

HP is said to have used the wrong version of the OS when loading XP on to machines in the factory.

Jesper Johansson, a former Microsoft security manager, has released a patch to fix the problem, ahead of both HP and Microsoft.

The free patch has not been sanctioned by either Microsoft or HP though, which are still working on a patch to help out their customers.

Johansson's small Visual Basic Scripting Edition file first checks whether the machine is running an AMD processor.

If it is, the software studies the Windows registry to see if the rogue device driver designed for Intel machines is about to be loaded.

If the driver is there, the user is given the option to disable, and avoid constant reboots of the machine.

Here is the file name you can rename if you have a AMD and get reboots after you load SP3. Now when you install SP3 before you reboot this is the file you need to rename C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\intelppm.sys

I had the sp3 installed, the third day, can't connect to the internet, have to take the pc back to shop for repair and lucky, the extent warranty will expired in a week. Now using a loaned pc from shop for two weeks or till the pc ready.

I've had zero issues on my AMD-powered HP d325, but then, I installed XP Pro from an SP2 CD instead of the Recovery CD. I updated to SP3 in the normal course of bringing the system up to date via Windows Update.

Froze

My Tosh laptop running XP/Intel duo froze after the download/restart. I always set a restore point to go back to. Glad I did. NO SP3 HERE.

I've installed SP3 on 7, maybe 8 computers with zero issues. Four of those are being used in an office environment. I'm amazed to read of all the problems everyone is having. All the computers I've installed it on have been home built, for what that's worth if anything.

No advice, just relating my experiences.

Installed sp3, no problems. Well maybe one issue. After automatic updates installs the new internet explorer 7 and i go to open it, nothing happens. IE does not open. So went and uninstalled IE 7 and reinstalled IE 6 and it works fine. Dont know whats up with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts