Yeah I know NOTHING about projectors

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
Okay so My buddy is building a man cave and asked me to help with tv selection..I told him since he is in a basement and wants the most for his money why not get a projector and screen, he wants to stay at around 900 for everything (screen projector and mounts) can this be done and do you have any you guys recommend, also how long are projectors really good for and whats the long term cost vs lets say a rear projection.

jayn_j

Press On Regardless
Supporting Founder
Sep 29, 2003
Sheboygan, WI
Okay so My buddy is building a man cave and asked me to help with tv selection..I told him since he is in a basement and wants the most for his money why not get a projector and screen, he wants to stay at around 900 for everything (screen projector and mounts) can this be done and do you have any you guys recommend, also how long are projectors really good for and whats the long term cost vs lets say a rear projection.

The long term cost should be similar as the technologies are very similar. Major maintenance is a new $200 buld every few thousand hours.

Looking at Amazon, he should be able to geta 720P projector and fixed screen for that $900 figure, as long as he steers clear of the top brands. 1080P is probably out of reach.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Well a good 720p projector is going to set him back at least $600-$800. (Amazon has the Mitsi HD1600 for $760; a used 1500 is around $600. I suspect it would be at least $100 for the mount and $200 at a minimum for a screen. Thats cutting it kind of tight on that budget.

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
I have used elite screens: Elite Screens | Your Projector Screens Company ezframe series: Elite Screens | Elite ezFrame Screens

review: Home Theater Projection Screens Under $500

They are reasonably priced, a 100" one is under $400 delivered. I have 2 of them. Elite ezFrame R100WH1 100" Diagonal (49" x 87") with CineWhite Material Fixed Frame Screen | ProjectionGuys.com

They take about 1/2 hour to put together.

Hang out in the under $3k forum at avsform.com for a while and watch for bargains to be posted. There are great closeout specials that happen. I got both my projectors on closeout and saved a ton of cash. Each one 1/3 the price they used to sell for.

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
Elite Screen will work. That is a great price. I'd have him consider spending more on a projector, though. Figure a 65-73 inch DLP will run 1600-2200 (staying out of the Diamond line). You can get an InFocus X10 for 1199 or a Viewsonic Pro8100 for 1299. Both great 1080p projectors on closeout. The Viewsonic is a little more flexible than the InFocus, especially when it comes to mounting. But the Infocus has a slightly better picture and black levels.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)