Yellow Light of Death

Got my refurb console today. They sent me another 40GB fatty like I sent them. From the time I sent my console to them to today, it was less than a week. Glad to have a new box, but wish they had offered me an upgrade. At least I have a 90 day warranty....

The YLOD on any ps3 can be avoided by cleaning and reapplying new thermal cpu paste to the CPU and the GPU, at least once a year. Especially if you have the original 20g and 60g models. The problems is the old thermal cpu paste dries up between the processer and heat sink and cause the chips to over heat and fail or sometimes unsolder from the motherboard.

If you value your ps3, than here is a link to show you how to avoid YLOD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, so the refurb box they sent me literally gets up to the 2nd level fan speed in the time it takes to turn the console on and insert my BFBC2 disc. After playing for a half hour or so, I exited the game and left it on the XMB for 45 minutes, the fan was still pugging away at the 2nd speed level and making quite a bit of noise. That being the case I figured there was 1 of 2 things wrong with the refurb they sent me Friday. 1) The heatsink is not properly pasted to the CPU and/or GPU and is not properly pulling the heat away (guess it is the CPU as it occurs when downloading firmware upgrades as well) or 2) There is a bad thermostat and the unit is registering hotter than it is, thus causing the fan to ramp up. I concluded that neither was acceptable for a unit I just paid $150 for them to send me a refurb on. I expected a unit in like new condition, so I called Sony, and they said "yup, we will send you a box." I was a bit aggravated, but they were going to do it for free, so other than being out a week while the unit ships there and back, there was no harm. In anycase, my wife gets home, I tell her what the deal is, so she calls Sony and rips them a new one about the inconvenience and that she wanted to "trade up" to a Slim. They said no to that, but did concede to sending us Killzone 2 for our troubles, which is better than nothing. I am just very surprised in the lack of QC with their refurbs. You would think if you are sending a refurb, you likely already have a ticked customer. Nothing makes them even more ticked than to send them a 2nd defective unit. They said they test all of them prior to sending, however, I wonder what that actually consists of as you can hear mine from the other side of the basement (40ft away) as soon as you insert a disc. I had been like that since the moment I took it out of the box Friday.

In anycase, my wife gets home, I tell her what the deal is, so she calls Sony and rips them a new one about the inconvenience and that she wanted to "trade up" to a Slim.
Your wife did that? If that was in my house, my wife would call Sony up and say, "Hey, thanks so much for sending my husband a broken PS3. Do you know who I can talk to at Microsoft and Nintendo so they can do the same thing?"

Your wife did that? If that was in my house, my wife would call Sony up and say, "Hey, thanks so much for sending my husband a broken PS3. Do you know who I can talk to at Microsoft and Nintendo so they can do the same thing?"

Lol, I was surprised too given the amount of complaining I heard about my late night marathon BFBC2 session, butl I realized she had ulterior motives. She did not want me to go spend $300 on a new Slim on top of the $150 I had just paid to Sony, plus, I realized that she uses the PS3 to stream Netflix for the kids during the day because there are like 100 kids/shows/cartoons available. It helps both of us stay sane. Either that or I will come upstairs unexpectedly one day due to YLOD and see a pair of guys shoes I do not recognize........:p

Lol, I was surprised too given the amount of complaining I heard about my late night marathon BFBC2 session, butl I realized she had ulterior motives. She did not want me to go spend $300 on a new Slim on top of the $150 I had just paid to Sony, plus, I realized that she uses the PS3 to stream Netflix for the kids during the day because there are like 100 kids/shows/cartoons available. It helps both of us stay sane. Either that or I will come upstairs unexpectedly one day due to YLOD and see a pair of guys shoes I do not recognize........:p

Sorry to hear about all the problems you're having. I'm actually having a bit of an issue with the DS controller that came with my new Slim. The left analog, and sometimes right, don't respond properly at times. I'm not hard on my controllers at all (I still use 2 three-year old sixaxis's I have), but if I call Sony, I'm sure they'll just send me some refurb that someone else thoroughly abused before sending it in for a replacement. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)