YES dtc

That seems high. I'm not in the viewing area so I'm not eligible. However I can get a single team MLB.TV package for $130.
MLB.TV Out-Of-Market Packages | Buy MLB.TV
Even at $25 a month, per game that's maybe about $1-2 per game per month. April has 28 games, for example, and not all of them will be on YES but even still on a per game basis, it's a pretty good deal. And month to month would be cheaper than the annual plan if all you want it for is the season. I'm guessing that you can watch games later on it if you missed one live.

I'm not a Yankees fan but if I was, I'd probably sign up for it because it's not a bad value.

Its not "high" at all. Actually, they are not charging enough. Baseball is a regional sport. Your local team in you local area is worth $25 to $50/month. The local team matter to the MAJORITY of local baseball fans. The vast majority. The mlb.tv package is sold at a low cost because the production costs were already covered by the local fans of those teams, and the value of other people's teams really isn't all that much. Displaced fans, baseball junkies, and gamblers. That is all that want this.

Baseball, which has mismanaged its media relationships for many decades, made a fundamental mistake with mlb.tv. In the cable/DBS bundle system, getting the out-of-market package was an add on. The consumer had first paid for the basic package, which included paying for the local team. MLBEI was what it should be, extra and over and above paying for the local team.

Now we have people saying "why should I pay $25 for one team when I can watch other place's teams, all of them, for $15?". They ask a valid question. A question that MLB should have never allowed to happen.
So, your advocating for a Price Increase ..... just what we all need regardless of content.

Even at $25 a month, per game that's maybe about $1-2 per game per month. April has 28 games, for example, and not all of them will be on YES but even still on a per game basis, it's a pretty good deal. And month to month would be cheaper than the annual plan if all you want it for is the season. I'm guessing that you can watch games later on it if you missed one live.

I'm not a Yankees fan but if I was, I'd probably sign up for it because it's not a bad value.
Like was mentioned before, WHY would I pay $20 - $25 a month for 1 team when you can get ALL of them for less ?

Like was mentioned before, WHY would I pay $20 - $25 a month for 1 team when you can get ALL of them for less ?
If I could get the NY sports report, pre and post game, with maybe NHL or NBA with it....Id bite

You wouldn't.

But that model is unsustainable. It has really only existed for a few years, since mlb.tv as an a la carte thing became a thing. The financials just do not add up.

The challenge for baseball, which sadly has been led by underachievers for many decades, is to come up with a model that works in the labor environment it is in. That involves everyone first paying their fair share for local baseball, before getting access to other people's games.

The challenge for baseball, which sadly has been led by underachievers for many decades, is to come up with a model that works in the labor environment it is in. That involves everyone first paying their fair share for local baseball, before getting access to other people's games.
That time has now past.

OK, thank you.

This financial model does not work. No RSNs, no games to put on mlb.tv. No RSN money, no money to pay the players what they demand to be paid.

What is you plan?

OK, thank you.

This financial model does not work. No RSNs, no games to put on mlb.tv. No RSN money, no money to pay the players what they demand to be paid.

What is you plan?
I don't know the details but doesn't MLB have a large national contract with ESPN and other national providers like Apple TV that pays them a chunk of money each year for rights? What percentage does a team get from the national contract vs. the RSN?

I know the NFL broadcast fees help determine the salary cap but I don't know how MLB works.

Because you're a Yankees fan who cut the cord and live in their broadcast territory.
Your getting all their programming with that price. Pre and post game shows, any other sports they have on it. Now its not a full RSN, but neither is Marquee sports for the cubs.

The financials just do not add up.
Arguably, they never did. It was only through the fleecing of millions of people who don't watch any sports on RSNs that the unsustainable current (soon to be former) business model ever "worked." Unsurprisingly, a lot of people eventually caught on and stopped paying for it. There is no plan to make MLB TV broadcasts make as much money as they used to because they aren't worth it to the market. Demand, and I use that term lightly, has waned to the point that the current price is no longer viable. They have to cut the price and expenses accordingly until they find something sustainable.

Reactions: djont57