YES Network Being Dropped? (Agreement reached 4/7)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just a little clarification here:

YES is the #1 RSN in viewership in raw numbers, NOT in market share. I am not claiming that it is not a popular network. I am saying that the NYC market has 2½ time the number of TV households that the Philly market has (Nielsen 2011 numbers) yet there was only a 3000 viewer difference. CSN Philly has 95.6% the viewership in raw numbers in relation to YES in a market that is 40% the size to that of YES'.. In market share YES is not #1. Not even close. I wish I had the numbers for all the other markets.

Tony what does this say?

NEW YORK -
The YES Network finished the 2010 broadcast year* as the most-watched regional sports network (RSN) in the country for the eighth straight year.

YES was the most-watched RSN in the country in Total Day (Monday-Sunday/6a- 2a) for the eighth consecutive year,

and was the most-watched RSN nationwide in Primetime (Monday-Sunday/7p-11p) for the seventh time in eight years.

Sugarcoat it all you want, Premium movie channels don't bring in ratings like RSN's, Locals, and National Networks do!

Premium movie channels repeat so much anymore, there is no reason to even have more then one HBO,Cinemax,Starz,Showtime wasted on HD.

Dish thinks customers want more premium movie channels, well the numbers don't lie, NO THEY DON'T! They want Sports!

If you're in northeastern Pennsylvania, you're Yankees territory, as well as home territory for the Mets, Phillies and Pirates. It doesn't matter that Dish doesn't carry YES, SNY or Comcast SportsNet Phildadelphia, you will still get blacked out from Mets and Yankees games shown on their channels.

Your options are DirecTV or cable.

Tony what does this say?

NEW YORK -
The YES Network finished the 2010 broadcast year* as the most-watched regional sports network (RSN) in the country for the eighth straight year.

YES was the most-watched RSN in the country in Total Day (Monday-Sunday/6a- 2a) for the eighth consecutive year,

and was the most-watched RSN nationwide in Primetime (Monday-Sunday/7p-11p) for the seventh time in eight years.

Sugarcoat it all you want, Premium movie channels don't bring in ratings like RSN's, Locals, and National Networks do!

Premium movie channels repeat so much anymore, there is no reason to even have more then one HBO,Cinemax,Starz,Showtime wasted on HD.

Dish thinks customers want more premium movie channels, well the numbers don't lie, NO THEY DON'T! They want Sports!
Dish thinks this because they carry the movie channels and not much sports, so it helps them sleep at night.

If you're in northeastern Pennsylvania, you're Yankees territory, as well as home territory for the Mets, Phillies and Pirates. It doesn't matter that Dish doesn't carry YES, SNY or Comcast SportsNet Phildadelphia, you will still get blacked out from Mets and Yankees games shown on their channels.

Your options are DirecTV or cable.

Even with D* he would have been blacked out due to where he lives. (unless MLB made an exception to the rule being OPENING DAY.)

actually from what I have read YES wouldnt be available for MLB EI. They mention that you would have to listen to the other teams announcers
If you are in the market, this hurts as you would be blacked out of the opposing teams feed (maybe they would lift that restriction....hmmm)

why wasn't availble for E* when they had extra innings?

Even with D* he would have been blacked out due to where he lives. (unless MLB made an exception to the rule being OPENING DAY.)
on the internet (roku) version of extra innings home team away games are not blacked out and repeats of home games are available 90 minutes after the game ends...too bad D* cant do that

on the internet (roku) version of extra innings home team away games are not blacked out and repeats of home games are available 90 minutes after the game ends...too bad D* cant do that

Problem is that MLB views MLB EI for video providers as a different product then mlb tv available on your roku.

Tony what does this say?

NEW YORK -

I read your post. I understood your post. I read the article and understood the article. I understood and quoted the article in my post. Yes. In absolute raw numbers, YES is the most watched network. This is because is has, by far the most TV households in its area as compared to any other sports network. Had you read my post thoroughly and understood what I wrote, you would have seen I agreed with you and the article about the number of people who watch this channel. Then I continued to show how, by ratings numbers, which is what matters to advertisers, it is not the #1 network by percentage of the market. It has a smaller piece of a larger pie. Philly has a larger piece of a pie that less than half the size of NY. Please understand that.

I also never said anything about any other channel's ratings. I did not add sugar to anything. I merely pointed out a hard numbers fact. In New York 99,991.4 TV households out of every 100,000 are NOT watching YES on an average night.

Now if you want to compare audience--which is difficult since HBO doesn't release their numbers:
HBO True Blood season 3 premier had approx 235,000 households in the NYC market. (3.5 million (nationally) x 6.495% (percentage of NY relative to US)
HBO Sopranos average audience in NYC approx 500,000 households.
Science Channel - An Idiot Abroad averages 450,000 households in NYC - (I am sorry to report)
A&E - Stephen Segal Law Man averaged 250,000 households in the NYC market
Fox News - O'Rielly Factor averages 475,000 NYC Households.
MTV Jersey Shore had approx 555000 households in the NYC market
Comedy Central - South Park average 300,000 households in NYC -highest ever 450,000
Highest EVER YES rating claimed 533,000 VIEWERS (not households) for a Yankees/Mets game. Now I am not sure if the writer of the press release was using viewers and households interchangeably, but this is a common trick to inflate numbers. Multiply households by 2.4 (average viewers per household) and it gives you the appearance of having a higher rating than you really do. But let's say that 533,000 is the number of households for the highest EVER rated YES Yankees broadcast. You can see that movie channels and even other basic channels do draw sizable audiences.

Again READ THIS.... I AM NOT SAYING YES IS NOT A POPULAR NETWORK. I am saying the impact of losing that network is overstated by rabid sports fans!

YOU want sports. You are doing what "everyone" does. If I don't watch it, "no one" does. If I watch it. "Everyone" does.
Perspective. Perspective.

And this thread is not about Dish. It's about DirecTV having an issue with the cost of the channel relative to the income and customers it will bring. Dish already made that decision. Now it's DirecTV's turn.

If they lose it can you guys "move"to get out of the black out with ei but keep locals? Not sure how far the black outs go.

I read your post. I understood your post. I read the article and understood the article. I understood and quoted the article in my post. Yes. In absolute raw numbers, YES is the most watched network. This is because is has, by far the most TV households in its area as compared to any other sports network. Had you read my post thoroughly and understood what I wrote, you would have seen I agreed with you and the article about the number of people who watch this channel. Then I continued to show how, by ratings numbers, which is what matters to advertisers, it is not the #1 network by percentage of the market. It has a smaller piece of a larger pie. Philly has a larger piece of a pie that less than half the size of NY. Please understand that.

I also never said anything about any other channel's ratings. I did not add sugar to anything. I merely pointed out a hard numbers fact. In New York 99,991.4 TV households out of every 100,000 are NOT watching YES on an average night.

Now if you want to compare audience--which is difficult since HBO doesn't release their numbers:
HBO True Blood season 3 premier had approx 235,000 households in the NYC market. (3.5 million (nationally) x 6.495% (percentage of NY relative to US)
HBO Sopranos average audience in NYC approx 500,000 households.
Science Channel - An Idiot Abroad averages 450,000 households in NYC - (I am sorry to report)
A&E - Stephen Segal Law Man averaged 250,000 households in the NYC market
Fox News - O'Rielly Factor averages 475,000 NYC Households.
MTV Jersey Shore had approx 555000 households in the NYC market
Comedy Central - South Park average 300,000 households in NYC -highest ever 450,000
Highest EVER YES rating claimed 533,000 VIEWERS (not households) for a Yankees/Mets game. Now I am not sure if the writer of the press release was using viewers and households interchangeably, but this is a common trick to inflate numbers. Multiply households by 2.4 (average viewers per household) and it gives you the appearance of having a higher rating than you really do. But let's say that 533,000 is the number of households for the highest EVER rated YES Yankees broadcast. You can see that movie channels and even other basic channels do draw sizable audiences.

Again READ THIS.... I AM NOT SAYING YES IS NOT A POPULAR NETWORK. I am saying the impact of losing that network is overstated by rabid sports fans!

YOU want sports. You are doing what "everyone" does. If I don't watch it, "no one" does. If I watch it. "Everyone" does.
Perspective. Perspective.

And this thread is not about Dish. It's about DirecTV having an issue with the cost of the channel relative to the income and customers it will bring. Dish already made that decision. Now it's DirecTV's turn.
I mearly stated charlie is an idiot for not having 1 RSN in the NY market, and not having the MOST watched RSN in the US Period!

D* will come through, Dish Network will just find another market to drop.

And your Premium Channels, Sure HBO have good ratings, But 1 East coast HD feed covers that.

All the Premiums in HD is a waste of space and money. Nothing but repeats so much anymore its not even funny, So why not give what the E* customers have been asking for ,for years. Some Fulltime HD RSN's, How about RSN's in general How about MLB channel, Why not YES,SNY,MSG,MSG+,

The 2 most watched sports on TV and none is available to E* customers.
And Dish just said F NY.

I didn't see Epix on the top networks in the country.

Give me one good reason Dish is Losing customers?

I bet alot will have to do with No NY sports, Channel drops ,and price increases accross the board.

I mearly stated charlie is an idiot for not having 1 RSN in the NY market, and not having the MOST watched RSN in the US Period!

D* will come through, Dish Network will just find another market to drop.

And your Premium Channels, Sure HBO have good ratings, But 1 East coast HD feed covers that.

All the Premiums in HD is a waste of space and money. Nothing but repeats so much anymore its not even funny, So why not give what the E* customers have been asking for ,for years. Some Fulltime HD RSN's, How about RSN's in general How about MLB channel, Why not YES,SNY,MSG,MSG+,

The 2 most watched sports on TV and none is available to E* customers.
And Dish just said F NY.

I didn't see Epix on the top networks in the country.

Give me one good reason Dish is Losing customers?

I bet alot will have to do with No NY sports, Channel drops ,and price increases accross the board.

Where my vacation home is in upstate NY I will say this there is a whole hell of alot of directv dishes and very few dish like 9 to 1... Why because YES and SNY, MSG and MSG+ are important to them. It is there teams. Now as a native Floridian I could care less, but that is because I am a Floridian and not a New Yorker.
Personally I think it just a big mistake for dish to drop the one channel that service the state of NY.

I find it almost sad how one can spend considerable time posting facts and figures in response to a particular comment only to have it left unread, misunderstood or ignored by those who only see their point of view and nothing else.
'
I personally never mentioned Dish Network. I did not make a comment about dish network. I was not responding to anything about anything other than what I initially posted. I never mentioned anything about any movie channels until prompted and essentially challenged to show that yes, movie channels do have similar ratings to this RSN. But only afterwards was the argument changed to include the number of movie channels. And I never once commented about HD channels of any kind. So any comments about that in response to my simple comments are irrelevant as they relate to me or my little corner of this conversation.

I was injecting some real numbers, facts and objectivity into the emotional argument about the #2 (or three-haven't looked at Atlanta's numbers closely enough) rated RSN with the highest raw number of viewers. I also wanted to add perspective that---- CORRECTING MY NUMBERS HERE ----99,040 out of 100,000 households in NY were not watching YES on any given night. 990,400 out of 1,000,000 were not watching YES on any given night.

And once again, this is about DirecTV and YES. It is not about Dish Network and DirecTV. DirecTV is now making the same decision about how much this network is really worth. If it was an easy decision it would have already been made. If YES wants more money than DirecTV thinks this network is worth, they will drop it. They will lose some subscribers, but they will not go out of business!

Perspective....

See ya.
Tony

I find it almost sad how one can spend considerable time posting facts and figures in response to a particular comment only to have it left unread, misunderstood or ignored by those who only see their point of view and nothing else.
'
I personally never mentioned Dish Network. I did not make a comment about dish network. I was not responding to anything about anything other than what I initially posted. I never mentioned anything about any movie channels until prompted and essentially challenged to show that yes, movie channels do have similar ratings to this RSN. But only afterwards was the argument changed to include the number of movie channels. And I never once commented about HD channels of any kind. So any comments about that in response to my simple comments are irrelevant as they relate to me or my little corner of this conversation.

I was injecting some real numbers, facts and objectivity into the emotional argument about the #2 (or three-haven't looked at Atlanta's numbers closely enough) rated RSN with the highest raw number of viewers. I also wanted to add perspective that---- CORRECTING MY NUMBERS HERE ----99,040 out of 100,000 households in NY were not watching YES on any given night. 990,400 out of 1,000,000 were not watching YES on any given night.

And once again, this is about DirecTV and YES. It is not about Dish Network and DirecTV. DirecTV is now making the same decision about how much this network is really worth. If it was an easy decision it would have already been made. If YES wants more money than DirecTV thinks this network is worth, they will drop it. They will lose some subscribers, but they will not go out of business!

Perspective....

See ya.
Tony

Yeah but you seem to not get it Tony. Dish dropping SNY means that DTV is going to not going to drop YES for long if they do at all. D* nd E* They are like Frick and Frack separate but interconnected.

I DID NOT MENTION DISH. THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT DISH. I get it. You guys are saying if it's raining in Rome, it must mean that pigeons will crap on your car. IOW, you are making an invalid argument!

I DID NOT MENTION DISH. THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT DISH. I get it. You guys are saying if it's raining in Rome, it must mean that pigeons will crap on your car. IOW, you are making an invalid argument!

Give it a break TONY re-read what I said and you will see how dish dropping SNY affects DTV and YES .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)