YES Network Being Dropped? (Agreement reached 4/7)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
raoul5788 said:
I'm a Yankee fan, and I agree wholeheartedly! I don't know who is worse, Michael Kay or John Sterling.

John Sterling is a 1000x worse than Michael Kay, who is not that bad, IMO.

John Sterling is a 1000x worse than Michael Kay, who is not that bad, IMO.
And the gal thats calling the game is worse yet.

I listened to the yankee broadcast on the XM, the Tigers were not on.

Trying to see what others have to say about them.

It would be nice if they paid attention to the game, it was OPENING DAY after all, not game 137.

They kept going on and on about how many pitches Verlander had thrown thru the first 3 innings I think it was, then when they looked, Sabathia was about the same.

If yes is dropped, can I get out of my contract without a term fee? This seems like its a breach of the contract I signed.

That question comes up every time either provider drops anything. Like Iceberg said programming is subject to change.

"Stop Illegal DirecTv Blackouts on Regional Sports Networks"

Really? Yawn... thread taking a silly turn!!

Target: DIRECTV & it's Regional Sports Networks

This petiton is to abolish DIRECTV blackouts of Yes Network programming that does not apply to the FCC Blackout Laws. DirecTV subscribers pay $120.00 per month for the DirecTv Premier package which carries regional sports networks that include numerous channels including Fox Sports Net, Comcast Sports Net, YES (Yankees & Entertainment & Sports) Network, MSG (Madison Square Garden) Network and others. Despite paying $12.99 per moth extra for DIRECTV Sports Pack, numerous programs are not availble to viewers who do not live in the given area. The largest abusers of this rule is the YES Network and MSG Network who commonly make their shows un-available to viewers outside of the New York area. I have been a DIRECTV customer since 2007 and this rule did not apply. All MLB, NBA and NHL game replays were available to DIRECTV Sports Pack subscirbers. Now not only are game replays blacked out but documentaries such as "Yankeeography" and "50 Greatest Moments at Madison Square Garden" are "not available in your area." As time has gone on, more and more shows are being added to this list of unavailble programs. This law is being abused by DIRECTV and these regional sports networks. This petiton is to abolish this activity by DIRECTV and it's networks. Put a stop to it now.

lets check it at about 6 or 7am eastern thats usually when stuff hits.

It's still there this morning, I don't get the channel, but theres nothing stating it is or will be gone (banner).

Remember, in the posts above, it was noted that the YES Network would continue to be available while they are negotiating, so I don't expect anyone to miss anything.
I suspect that this will be taken care of and the "Oh my god the world is ending" for those that get Yes will be over.

I cannot believe how much a thread like this goes in the IT'S GONE direction so quickly when NOTHING like that was even thought about.
As long as they are negotiating, it ain't going anywhere, this it the way negotiation goes everywhere.

Also NOW is the MOST important time they could use during the year to do thier negotiating, outside of the PLAYOFFS !

You have to love online petitions that accomplish nothing. Write a CEO or fax something to a corporate office.

Networks don't Hate D* like they Hate Charlie. So they won't pull their channel ASAP. YES doesn't want to lose a possible 19 million customers. It will all work out!

You have to love online petitions that accomplish nothing. Write a CEO or fax something to a corporate office.

I agree with you 100%. I recently had an email conversation with the President of the Buffalo Sabres, and my request was immediately acted on.:) So the do pay attention when someone takes the time to write them.

Interestingly I received this in an e-mail from Direct this morning:

Dear subscriber,
As you know, several RSN's are in danger of being dropped form the Directv line-up. Directv is committed to bringing you the best television line-up in America, unfortunately we are in the midst on an economic downturn and several broadcasters are asking for very large carriage rate increases that we feel are unnecessary and extremely overvalued. Although we are making every effort to make negotiate with these companies to ensure that your channel line-up remains the same, it is a very real possibility that some of these channels may disappear soon. We at Directv have found a silver lining, though. We are proud to announce the addition of an exciting new HD channel to our already impressive HD line-up. HBO Cute a Cuddly HD! A 24 hour HD channel dedicated to all your favorite like "Beverly Hills Chihuahua," "Snow Dogs," "Milo and Otis," and the entire "Air Bud / Air Buddies" series. Now you can always hold your breath to see if Air Bud can make that last shot, hold back tears as Milo and Otis finally make it home or dance along with the Beverly Hills Chihuahua crew! We at Directv appreciate you being a loyal customer and hope you enjoy the new addition to our line-up.

Interestingly I received this in an e-mail from Direct this morning:

Dear subscriber,
As you know, several RSN's are in danger of being dropped form the Directv line-up. Directv is committed to bringing you the best television line-up in America, unfortunately we are in the midst on an economic downturn and several broadcasters are asking for very large carriage rate increases that we feel are unnecessary and extremely overvalued. Although we are making every effort to make negotiate with these companies to ensure that your channel line-up remains the same, it is a very real possibility that some of these channels may disappear soon. We at Directv have found a silver lining, though. We are proud to announce the addition of an exciting new HD channel to our already impressive HD line-up. HBO Cute a Cuddly HD! A 24 hour HD channel dedicated to all your favorite like "Beverly Hills Chihuahua," "Snow Dogs," "Milo and Otis," and the entire "Air Bud / Air Buddies" series. Now you can always hold your breath to see if Air Bud can make that last shot, hold back tears as Milo and Otis finally make it home or dance along with the Beverly Hills Chihuahua crew! We at Directv appreciate you being a loyal customer and hope you enjoy the new addition to our line-up.

Wow, I hope this is not an indication of something.... YES, and readining that e-mail.... I'd never consider any other provider as long as DirecTV leads in the Sports category.

Wait, scoop8... remember what day it is?? Think hard... :)

Not to say that sports network negotiations are not troubling, though... I'm an E* customer and attempted to switch over to D* last fall but couldn't because of LOS, and the reason I wanted to do it is because D* seemed to care a lot more when it came to retaining their sports networks. Already, on E* we've either lost or never had the entire NY sports market (YES, MSG, MSG+, SNY), lost GOL, we very nearly lost all FOX regionals, very nearly lost CSNCA, we get NESN and MASN only in SD, and there are a host of other regionals D* has that we don't get including 'the Mtn'. What would that leave our multisports package as? Just NBATV, NHLTV, NFL Network, horse racing, tennis, golf, and a few others -- with maybe a few regionals sprinkled in. Maybe that's what E* eventually wants to pare it down to. :p

But seriously, in my opinion sports networks are beginning to price themselves out of the lineup, and it's becoming a very disturbing trend. Even D* isn't completely immune when one thinks of the Versus issue and now YES. But more regionals will come up for their contracts to be renewed, sooner or later... and they'll be asking for more, more, more... and their justification will be that we already get paid this price by our competitors. I think D* may be able to keep up with it for the most part, to satisfy it's huge sports customer base, while cutting corners on other non-sports HD content... while others, like E*, will shrug their shoulders and continue to cut these networks, concentrating more on their non-sports HD and international programming.

Me, I'm caught in the middle, like so many others. I love my sports, and I love other entertainment too. There is not one service that brings both together with the same quality, unfortunately. I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two E* just decides to cut sports altogether. In the meantime, I'm sitting back and watching what happens, expecting the worst. I no longer have a contract with E*, and I'm waiting now to see if D* can get their act together with their non-sports HD lineup. And finally, I have LOS... the city took out the tree yesterday that was blocking the view to the 101 sat! ;)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)