YET AGAIN, Pens Leafs game blacked out only on DIRECTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jeditig

Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
cleveland
Yet again the Penguins - Leafs game on the NHL Network was blacked out here is Cleveland for no reason. My neighbor has DISH NEtwork and my father-in-law has Time Warner in the next neighborhood and they are watching the game fine. It has been 1 week since DIrectv was on the phone with me for two hours as every person there could not figure out why i cannot receive the game. NO RESPONSE, NOTHING from them. I even have a letter from the NHL Network ensuring me that i am not in the blackout zone which i sent to DIRECTV as well. NOTHING, nobody has a clue. - anyone have any thoughts why DIRECTV is different than Time Warner and DISH.???

Jason

Yet again the Penguins - Leafs game on the NHL Network was blacked out here is Cleveland for no reason. My neighbor has DISH NEtwork and my father-in-law has Time Warner in the next neighborhood and they are watching the game fine. It has been 1 week since DIrectv was on the phone with me for two hours as every person there could not figure out why i cannot receive the game. NO RESPONSE, NOTHING from them. I even have a letter from the NHL Network ensuring me that i am not in the blackout zone which i sent to DIRECTV as well. NOTHING, nobody has a clue. - anyone have any thoughts why DIRECTV is different than Time Warner and DISH.???

Jason

Did you make sure that your service address ( not your billing but your service address was 100% completely correct.)

Yes, its correct, am not blacked out when pittsburgh is on NBC or versus, but when the NHL network started the PGH games are blacked out here in Cleveland, and only on DIRECTV, not Time Warner or DISH.

They've been a PIA to me too since they started doing live NHL games.I've got the same problem with the NHLN & the FLYERS and I am not claimed by them.

Update,

I just ran some cleveland zip codes , FSN Pittsburg 659 is a local rsn if you have choice extra or sports pack.

That is why the games are black out tune to channel 659

No, i dont get FSN pittsburgh, my local RSN is Fox Sports Ohio. FSn Pittsburgh says channel not purchased. So are you saying if i upgrade to the sports pack which would give me FSN pGH, then i would be able to watch the game on that channel. Thats weird. Still doesnt explain how my neighbor can watch it on NHL Network. I am in zip 44124/

According to our systems fsn pittsburg is part of yoru expanded RSN feeds for your network you can call and ask. then to chick you zip in there rsn zip code tool.

Since it is playing on a rsn ( even a expanded rsn like fsn pittsburg it will black out on nhln. )

And i might be able to get you a promo on sports pack depending on the account.

those games are blacked out here in canton 44721...I just gave up on nhln and directv I think I was able to watch the flyers one time but its always been blacked out the rest of the times ive checked.

REVISITING BLACKOUT RULES

DIRECTV Sports Blackouts - National Broadcast Rights

DIRECTV - Sports Blackouts

DIRECTV DIRECTV RSN VS. Cable RSN

Do you have the PREMIER or any DIRECTV base package plus SPORTS Pack?

The 44721 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro teams. With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:

With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or FAMILIAR or above):

FSN Ohio (Ch. 660) - HD Available
# Cleveland Cavaliers (HD Available)
# Columbus Blue Jackets (HD Available)

With the , you also get:

FSN Pittsburgh (Ch. 659) - HD Available
# Pittsburgh Penguins (HD Available)

With the Choice Xtra package you also get:

Sports Time Ohio (Ch. 662) - HD Available
# Indians (HD Available)

What were you saying in your second point

What do you mean in your second point when you say:

" With the , you also get

FSN Pittsburgh

did you mean, with the sports pack you also get FSN pittsburgh.

I guess that is the question i have, is if i upgrade to the sportspack, will i see the games on FSN pittsburgh.

Explain expanded RSNa

According to our systems fsn pittsburg is part of yoru expanded RSN feeds for your network you can call and ask. then to chick you zip in there rsn zip code tool.

Since it is playing on a rsn ( even a expanded rsn like fsn pittsburg it will black out on nhln. )

And i might be able to get you a promo on sports pack depending on the account.

when you mean expanded RSNs, are you talking about the $10 / month sports pack that gives you all the RSN in the US? Because that doesnt make sense. somebody in Nevada has the ability to purchase the RSN package, but they wont be blacked out initially.

Essentially the Penguins "claim" your area as a home market.

DirecTV offers the games to you, but because your primary RSNs are Cleveland/OH based, they only offer you the Penguins RSN via sports pack or premium. If you get sports pack, then you will not be blacked out on the Penguins games on FSNPitt, while other areas in the country would be.

Many providers would give your "extra" RSNs for your market free, like cable companies. DirecTV has made the decision not to.

NHL Network has to blackout any game that is not "nationally" theirs. That is why Versus and NBC are not blacked out when showing the Pens, as they have the national rights to the game, and FSN Pitt does not air the game. If FSN Pitt (or a Pitt local station) have the rights to the game, NHL Net must black it out.

This is not exclusive to your market or sport. It happens in the NBA with NBATV, ESPN and TNT. It happens in the NHL with NHL Net, and it happens in MLB with TBS and ESPN.

Anytime the RSN has the right to the game, their entire "claimed" (league approved) home area will be blacked out from a nationally televised feed, even if you don't get or subcribe to the local RSN feed.

Strange. I live in Elyria (about 25 miles west of Cleveland) and it wasn't blacked out on NHL Network for me

Expanded RSNs instead of Center Ice?

So then, if i purchase the sports pack (i currently just have total choice) which grants me an expanded RSN of Fox Sports Pittsburgh (FSNP), will i then be able to watch pittsburgh hockey games all the time on FSNP without having to purchase the Center Ice package?

My zip is 44124 here in cleveland.

I live in Pittsburgh and I can get the RSN Ohio or whatever station to get the Cavs game. Well I can't see paying extra to watch a sport that I don't like in a city I don't like.:D

I have Sports Pack w/DTV. I too am blacked out when the Pens game is on NHL Network. I get the pregame on 659 but when the game coverage starts it goes black and I have to switch to NHL Network. The last game with Toronto was with the Pens announcers though. But again FSN Pitt/659 went black when the game started. NHL Network just picks up the local feed and sends it out on their channel.
Hope this helps

Expanded RSNs vs. Pro Subscriptions

I have Sports Pack w/DTV. I too am blacked out when the Pens game is on NHL Network. I get the pregame on 659 but when the game coverage starts it goes black and I have to switch to NHL Network. The last game with Toronto was with the Pens announcers though. But again FSN Pitt/659 went black when the game started. NHL Network just picks up the local feed and sends it out on their channel.
Hope this helps

Thats correct, because you live in Colorado and FSN Pittsburgh is not your expanded RSN, you were not blacked out on NHL Network.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)