Yet another Starchoice install question

crims

Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
I've got a Starchoice 530 system with a 75 cm elliptical dish mounted on my roof with no obstructions. As the dish did not come with specific installation instructions, I'm wondering if I missed something setting it up. As far as I can tell I'm pointed in the correct direction at about 162.8 deg on the compass with an elevation of 42.8 and a scew of 87.6 for my lat of 40.62 and long of 111.82. The mounting post is plumb. I've got the two coax RG6 cables hooked into the left 2 connections on the LNB when looking at the dish.
In the system status screen I've got signal power for Tuners 1 and 2 of 63 and 56 but 0 dB for ECB/No. Same with the Tune In Sat Signal Screen. I've tried moving the dish about 1/2 degree increments in both directions and also tried adjusting the elevation with no luck. Any other suggestions to get a signal so I can finish the authorization? I've looked on every Canadian forum I can find for suggestions but no luck yet. thanks for any help.

if your using a magnetic compass you'll have to correct for true north deviation and that depends where you are. I'm sure someone here can tell you for sure depending on your location (I had trouble with this as well). You want to aim for F2 (111.1deg) and if your skew and elevation is set up coerect it ought to pop right in....it took me about 5 min to have a solid signal when I did mine. Hope that helps....btw put you location and someone can give you the exact numbers.

I thought I was suppost to aim at F1 at 107.3 to set it up. I have already accounted for the magnetic declination of -13.1 degrees here in Salt Lake.

Perhaps Iceberg might consider creating a sticky thread for "How to align a SC elliptical dish" as so many people seem to try to aim it at F1.

You have an advantage if you or some one in your area has a DTV elliptical. DTV is aimed at 110; SC at 111.1. So all one has to is duplicate the DTV dish settings and move the SC dish a tad to the right.

Anik F2 settings for Salt Lake are 42.9 178.8 (True Azimuth)

Still no luck. As I move the dish slightly east to west step by step, the signal power for Tuner 1 (line C of the System Setup - Option 6-4-7 for a 530) has increased from around 40 to 66. Line D remains 0 as does the Tune Satellite Signal screen at option 6-4-3-1. Line F has remained steady at 56. Is this normal? Should the signal power increase with no signal apparently being received or is this an indication that I am closer to where I should be pointed? I am tuned to channel 284. I'm getting tired of climbing a ladder onto my roof every 2 minutes.

It sounds like you're getting close. I ran into this same issue when installing my dish. What I did was:

1. NOT set the skew (move it back to 90)
2. Work on the Azimuth (side to side) until you get the best signal.
3. Work on the elevation (up and down) until you get even a better signal.
4. Finally, set the skew.

Remember to work slowly.

I am getting +9.0 to +10.5 by doing that...and yes, I carved out a path from my back door to my ladder.

HTH,

frntchr

try starting from channel 299 if no go then 290 then go option 6431 and put in provider 4128 even if only one tuner works thats ok 60% is a good number to aim for and once the A4 appears (from 2 to 20 minutes) then exit out of the signal screen and then go to 299 and the light on the receiver should be green now, this is where you leave the receiver alone and get it activated. And both tuners should be working now. And by the way 56% is ok just leave it there and wait for the A4 to appear.