You can only lease ONE HD DVR per year now

Status
Please reply by conversation.

newsposter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
Note: DIRECTV® services sold separately. A maximum of six (6) receivers may be leased per year, but not more than two (2) DVR receivers, two (2) HD receivers and one (1) HD DVR receiver may by leased in a given year. A separate monthly equipment leasing fee of $4.99 applies.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/DIRE.../sem/rpsm/oid/93509/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Why would they do that? Aren't more receivers = more money?

How is BB or CC or any other retailer going to know how many HD DVR's I have? Are they going to call D* and then tell me they can't sell me a $750 unit. I don't think so.

I have 3 HD DVR's now.

It will be a mess for the next 2 weeks atleast untill people figure out where the ground is.

and you pay $400 to LEASE the HD TIVO now??? what kinda of crap is that???:mad: Glad I got mine last year for $200. How do they think they're going to get new customers???

herdfan said:
How is BB or CC or any other retailer going to know how many HD DVR's I have? Are they going to call D* and then tell me they can't sell me a $750 unit. I don't think so.

I have 3 HD DVR's now.
No, but good luck activating it.

Now you all know that I am a D* advocate. 12 years, most sports packages HD etc....Haven't asked but I am sure I have 5 of those screwy hearts. But... this whole lease thing is ridiculous. I don't even know what the hell they are talking about. Anyway, got in on the HD Tivo when the rebate was on and assumed I would be able to trade it in for the new HD DVR when the locals get turned on here in Columbus, for what we were told was not going to be a substantial amount. Point is though, how do you get a $500 dollar machine for ummm...errrr $500 and still call it a lease. New customers are going to freak! I mean, hey, I lease my car and the car sells for 37,000. Now what idiot would pay $37,000 to "lease" it. (cept for maybe Guffy, Vurbano.....) just a lil joke there boys. I see problems, problems,problems.

Last edited:
FlyingJ said:
Now you all know that I am a D* advocate. 12 years, most sports packages HD etc....Haven't asked but I am sure I have 5 of those screwy hearts. But... this whole lease thing is ridiculous. I don't even know what the hell they are talking about. Anyway, got in on the HD Tivo when the rebate was on and assumed I would be able to trade it in for the new HD DVR when the locals get turned on here in Columbus, for what we were told was not going to be a substantial amount. Point is though, how do you get a $500 dollar machine for ummm...errrr $500 and still call it a lease. New customers are going to freak! I mean, hey, I lease my car and the car sells for 37,000. Now what idiot would pay $37,000 to "lease" it. (cept for maybe Guffy, Vurbano.....) just a lil joke there boys. I see problems, problems,problems.

I see big problems. Lease a D* DVR that will be outdated in a couple of months for $499 or a new E* MPEG4 DVR for $299.

D* sure makes a lot of sense to me:confused:

I called customer retention yesterday to gripe about my SAT300 that has now gone bad. I paid $699 for it 2 1/2 years ago when it was new, and now I only get half the HD channels on it. I refuse to pay $1 for another receiver since I have bought 2 HD mpeg2 receivers and they are now moving to mpeg4. Customer retention offered me the HD Tivo yesterday for $250 (lease), and IMOP that is still way too much. How is it cox and comcast can offer it to their customers for significantly less, but dtv feels they can get away with overcharging their customers.

It seems all the sat companies are acting goofy right now.

After calling D* yesterday to see if I could get a deal on the HDDVR, and get some details on the lease, needless to say I was a little disappointed with D*.

So, I called up E* and told them that I wanted to leave D* and come over there, but the deal had to be right. I wanted an HD-DVR (ViP 622) and a plain jane SD receiver, that's it. The guy at E* would not make me a deal on the HD-DVR, but would give me a standard HD STB, and 3 DVR's for free. I was like... ???? That makes no sense! I understand the HD DVR's are in high demand right now, but I think the sat companies need to realise that it is not the supply of equipment that they need to worry about, it is the amount of customers they have and that are out there looking for providers that they should worry about. Heck, if E* would have made me a deal and said that they couldn't do an install until April, I would have been fine with that...

Anyway, I'm sure that something will be changing over at D*, as most people have commented that the new lease deal is a bit disconcerting, at best. As I mentioned in another post, I'm going to be patient and wait things out and see what happens.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)