You can't fix stupid........

Y2k06

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
So, this xmas, we are getting our 3rd HDTV for the house. I've got a 622 (sucks as the HDMI won't work - and they won't send another one - said just use component cables) and a 211. I want another 622 (or similar HD-PVR). So, a call to those more than friendly CSR's inquiring about how I trade in/give back one of the SD receivers and add a 3rd HD receiver?

They say I have the maximum allowed HD receivers (leased) and can't add any more... unless I go out on the open market and buy one, then get stuck for ANOTHER $6 a month.

You CANT FIX STUPID....

I asked well, gee, since it is all but impossible to go buy a new TV and it NOT be HD...what or how is DISH handling that as more people convert to HDTV but they Dish wont support more than 2 receivers? They said right now, that's all they can do.

You CANT FIX STUPID...:confused:

Any insides on a good deal to fricking BUY a 622 or other options?

I ended up buying my 622 at Dishstore when I had a similar "you can't fix stupid" problem with Dish. I wanted a new guaranteed receiver. Claude will treat you right.

I ended up buying my 622 at Dishstore when I had a similar "you can't fix stupid" problem with Dish. I wanted a new guaranteed receiver. Claude will treat you right.

I agree Claude will take care of ya.

Mail to CEO at Echostar

We'll see if this brings any resemblance of a coherent reply:

COPY OF LETTER:

It has been suggested I write and see if I can get a plausible / realistic answer to something I would feel certain would have come up before now. As a longtime Dish Customer, your service, like my viewing has evolved over time. With a mandate that Analog TV's be turned off in Feb, 09, I, like many thousands of others are flocking to HDTV in droves. In fact, Best Buy (a major nation-wide electronics retailer ) announced about 2 months ago that it no longer carriers any analog (tube/CRT) televisions any more. The only choice is LCD, Plasma, or DLP, most all of which are HDTV's (or a few EDTV's)

What I am looking for in terms of how you can respond to this; I've been told via customer service (2 levels), on-line chat.... each have informed me that my TWO HD receivers ( a 211 and a 622 (with a broken HDMI port that you refuse to send a replacement for - another subject)) is the maximum I can have. The alternative offered - go out on the open market and purchase at outrageous retail prices another HD/DVR receiver, then call in to get that receiver authorized, then stick me for another $6 a month. That to me makes absolutely no sense. It's not like you have a shortage or don't have the capability to do so, just some arbitrary and capricious decision made by someone, the reason for which completely escapes me.

The real question is WHY is it unavailable as another lease option? Geeez, it's your equipment and you would reap 'rental' fees and more. Our house is now up to 3 HDTV's (one analog left), and we have no option from our provider (You) to obtain another HD DVR without making another retail purchase at 50% of the cost of our last HDTV!. So, a brand new HDTV will sit proudly in our entertainment room and noting but a SD receiver to connect it to. Don't even have a roof top antenna as they are not permitted by homeowner association rules, so.. now what?

Can someone please explain how this can make any logical sense?

I would appreciate it.

So, this xmas, we are getting our 3rd HDTV for the house. I've got a 622 (sucks as the HDMI won't work - and they won't send another one - said just use component cables) and a 211. I want another 622 (or similar HD-PVR). So, a call to those more than friendly CSR's inquiring about how I trade in/give back one of the SD receivers and add a 3rd HD receiver?

They say I have the maximum allowed HD receivers (leased) and can't add any more... unless I go out on the open market and buy one, then get stuck for ANOTHER $6 a month.

You CANT FIX STUPID....

I asked well, gee, since it is all but impossible to go buy a new TV and it NOT be HD...what or how is DISH handling that as more people convert to HDTV but they Dish wont support more than 2 receivers? They said right now, that's all they can do.

You CANT FIX STUPID...:confused:

Any insides on a good deal to fricking BUY a 622 or other options?

Like you we have three HDTV's in the house so to stay within the four reciever lease rule I have a 622 and two 211's leased.

I"ve done several installs with a 622 and two 211s. However, I had no way of knowing if the customer had to buy one of those HD receivers. The initial work order doesn't really show that info.

As far as the HDMI cable, don't waste your blood pressure on it. The ones we use at Dish are "okay" when we actually HAVE them. But as much money as you've already invested into you HD systems, go out and buy some "good" HDMI cables. I'd say at least 80% of HD customers prefer me to use the one(s) they've bought.

You're point about the HDMI cable seems right to me, but IMO the "okay" quality HDMI cable that Dish provides isn't worth getting fired-up about.

We'll see if this brings any resemblance of a coherent reply:

COPY OF LETTER:

It has been suggested I write and see if I can get a plausible / realistic answer to something I would feel certain would have come up before now. As a longtime Dish Customer, your service, like my viewing has evolved over time. With a mandate that Analog TV's be turned off in Feb, 09, I, like many thousands of others are flocking to HDTV in droves. In fact, Best Buy (a major nation-wide electronics retailer ) announced about 2 months ago that it no longer carriers any analog (tube/CRT) televisions any more. The only choice is LCD, Plasma, or DLP, most all of which are HDTV's (or a few EDTV's)

What I am looking for in terms of how you can respond to this; I've been told via customer service (2 levels), on-line chat.... each have informed me that my TWO HD receivers ( a 211 and a 622 (with a broken HDMI port that you refuse to send a replacement for - another subject)) is the maximum I can have. The alternative offered - go out on the open market and purchase at outrageous retail prices another HD/DVR receiver, then call in to get that receiver authorized, then stick me for another $6 a month. That to me makes absolutely no sense. It's not like you have a shortage or don't have the capability to do so, just some arbitrary and capricious decision made by someone, the reason for which completely escapes me.

The real question is WHY is it unavailable as another lease option? Geeez, it's your equipment and you would reap 'rental' fees and more. Our house is now up to 3 HDTV's (one analog left), and we have no option from our provider (You) to obtain another HD DVR without making another retail purchase at 50% of the cost of our last HDTV!. So, a brand new HDTV will sit proudly in our entertainment room and noting but a SD receiver to connect it to. Don't even have a roof top antenna as they are not permitted by homeowner association rules, so.. now what?

Can someone please explain how this can make any logical sense?

I would appreciate it.

Since when does digital TV = HDTV? It's actually quite easy to by standard-def televisions, they're everywhere. They all have ATSC tuners now, but that doesn't make them HDTV. Also, unless you live outside the US, your home owner's association can not legally keep you from putting up an antenna. Finally, at what point did it become your legal right to get a hi-def DVR?
I'm sorry, but the entire tone of your posts comes across as whiney. You are fortunate enough to be able to afford 3 HD TVs and two HD receivers with associated satellite TV service. If you can afford a 3rd hi-def TV, then you can afford to spend the money needed to feed it the appropriate HD source material.
As Dish network stock holder, I'm a bit disappointed that they are not able to maximize revenue on this particular customer by equipping him with 3 hi-def DVRs and the associated fees. And maybe, if you took that approach, you might get some traction, but as it is, you are just throwing a fit because you can't get what you want.
Dish, as a publicly traded company, likes to make money, you want to spend money, but so far, Dish has thwarted your efforts to spend more money with them. Try that approach, you might find a receptive audience.

The HDMI jack is a surface mounted component that has popped loose from the mainboard. Pull off the cover and resolder the jack down and then anchor your HDMI cable so that it does not put any downward pressure on the jack. 10 minute fix, very simple.

Since when does digital TV = HDTV? It's actually quite easy to by standard-def televisions, they're everywhere. They all have ATSC tuners now, but that doesn't make them HDTV.

Great information to have - My next purchase then should be a Standard Definition 50 inch big screen.. makes sense to me!..:confused:

Also, unless you live outside the US, your home owner's association can not legally keep you from putting up an antenna.

That too is nice information. You are more than welcome to come present this useless fact to OUR homeowner association's board of directors. Already been there. They do allow a small dish (as the likes of E* and Direct) provided it is mounted near or as close to the back of the home and can not be in a location to be considered a distraction to the neighborhood.

Finally, at what point did it become your legal right to get a hi-def DVR?

Gee .......didn't really think about my "rights" here.... Seems it to be more practical to ask for the most and negotiate for the lesser. Say.. that's a more positive approach. I'll re-send stating my "RIGHTS". That will earn brownie points!:eureka

You are fortunate enough to be able to afford 3 HD TVs and two HD receivers with associated satellite TV service. If you can afford a 3rd hi-def TV, then you can afford to spend the money needed to feed it the appropriate HD source material.

OH.. I am not worthy...
kneelsuckers.gif
kneelsuckers.gif

As Dish network stock holder, I'm a bit disappointed that they are not able to maximize revenue on this particular customer by equipping him with 3 hi-def DVRs and the associated fees.

You might consider selling your stock.. Got a very nice emai back from them. They have agreed to my proposition and will will provide me ANOTHER 622 for a modest one-time charge with associated DVR lease fees for it.

Dish, as a publicly traded company, likes to make money, you want to spend money, but so far, Dish has thwarted your efforts to spend more money with them. Try that approach, you might find a receptive audience.

I am headed back to the local junior college for writing skills, 101. :D

party.gif

That too is nice information. You are more than welcome to come present this useless fact to OUR homeowner association's board of directors. Already been there. They do allow a small dish (as the likes of E* and Direct) provided it is mounted near or as close to the back of the home and can not be in a location to be considered a distraction to the neighborhood.
see FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

If you can get LOS from where they want it, fine. If you need to have a less than 1Meter dish someplace else to get the SERVICES YOU WANT (including multiple dishes), they are SOL.

LER

I've read many posts in these forums about the inconsistancies of the CSR's. Many times you read a post regarding a CSR that won't do something only to contact E* at a later time and get another CSR that will do it.

Try calling again and hopefully you'll get a CSR that will be willing to accomodate you.

Unless you live outside the US, your home owner's association can not legally keep you from putting up an antenna.

Well, that settles that........

bighouse.jpg
mast.jpg

Yep.. one of these would look really nice mounted to the chimney of the house.

Great information to have - My next purchase then should be a Standard Definition 50 inch big screen.. makes sense to me!..:confused:

Gee .......didn't really think about my "rights" here.... Seems it to be more practical to ask for the most and negotiate for the lesser. Say.. that's a more positive approach. I'll re-send stating my "RIGHTS". That will earn brownie points!:eureka

OH.. I am not worthy...
kneelsuckers.gif
kneelsuckers.gif

You might consider selling your stock.. Got a very nice emai back from them. They have agreed to my proposition and will will provide me ANOTHER 622 for a modest one-time charge with associated DVR lease fees for it.

I am headed back to the local junior college for writing skills, 101. :D

party.gif

How old are you?? 11, 12?? 14 tops.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts